The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Urgent Help Request: Schoeps/Beag Hungarian M221b Mic- Good? Bad?
Old 14th May 2018
Here for the gear

Urgent Help Request: Schoeps/Beag Hungarian M221b Mic- Good? Bad?

I’m hoping some kindhearted and knowledgeable gslut can help me out. Does anyone know about these Hungarian m221b mics with allegedly authentic shoeps capsules? I will copy the seller’s listing below. Is this a total ripoff? Is there any chance the capsule is authentic schoeps? Should I buy or run for the hills? Thank you in advance for anyone who can shed light!

Listing:
One Original Schoeps M934B capsule with BEAG m221b body serviced by AEG
This is beautiful Schoeps/BEAG microphone serviced by AEG in Moscow. This microphone have been checked over from the top down.
This microphone uses the famous Telefunken ac701 tube.
The capsule is a two pattern switchable side address Schoeps capsule: cardioid and omni
There has been some trash talking about the Beag/Schoeps bodies because they were an "unauthorized" edition, and their quality control might have not been as good, but they used quality European transformers and tubes, and they also work on countless original Schoeps and they know what they should sound like.
completeness is such:
- 1 microphone
- 1 power supply (It has a modern element base and runs 110 and 220 volts)
- 2 cables
- The original electronic components of the power supply unit are also in working order.
The microphone is in good condition. PSU will always work perfectly. it's better than the original electronic components.
The microphone is in original condition. element base was replaced only in the power supply.
The sound is magnificent.
Worldwide shipping - 75$
Old 14th May 2018
Here for the gear

One more thing

I forgot to say the seller is asking for $2,000 for a pair of these, including psu’s. Thanks!
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Sure, there's a chance they are real Schoeps capsules. It is definitely a thing that these mics with the Hungarian bodies were paired with legit capsules. There are many pictures online and probably some old threads here that should give you something to compare to. I'm not necessarily saying they are Schoeps capsules, but I don't recall ever seeing a copy of a capsule, only the bodies.

Speaking generally, power supply quality is important for the sonic results, and while the AC701 tends to last a long time they are hard to find and expensive now. If I was considering any mic with that tube (and particularly with a less known body like the copies) I would try to quantify the health of the tubes and the performance of the system with respect to noise and microphonics, like with a frequency response graph from a sweep of both mics and a test recording of something quiet. Including both patterns of the capsules.

A marginal capsule, tube, output transformer, or power supply could quickly turn a good deal into a high maintenance money pit.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

$2000 is a good price. The capsules might be real.

If you have the cash, take a chance. But it is a chance.

The Hungarian bodies were often poor quality sound with poor quality parts. During those years, western parts were not available in Hungary.

The fact that they are from Russia is a positive, not a negative. There are many very good techs in Russia who really know tube equipment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search