The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ or RME ADI-2 Pro FS for hifi listening? Audio Interfaces
Old 14th May 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ or RME ADI-2 Pro FS for hifi listening?

Hi guys, I am new here and I seek for your advice. I want to upgrade my "music PC".
ATM I have cheap roland duo ex audio interface and KRK ROKIT 8 G3 speakers.

I want to buy Focal Solo 6 Be speakers and I really can't decide which interface should I get for them.
It's 95% music listening and just 5% music production.

I want it to be my endgame device, atleast for this room... since I'm planning mcintosh amp/preamp as next buy. :)
What would you choose and why?

+for mytek:
MQA decoder (sometimes streaming Tidal Masters);
newer = prob better DAC?;
more input versatility, I could sometimes use coax or chinch in other rooms for eq tests;
has remote;

+for ADI:
better HP out (I am using HPs sometimes, mostly Beyerdynamics)
smaller;
much cheaper;
cool graphic sound analyzer;

I could go for Benchmark DAC3 HGC, which would probably be the best option (no filters, no equalizers, just a proper DAC as it suppose to be!), but I somehow can't justify 800€ more than already expensive brooklyn+.
Old 14th May 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

you can also consider Mytek Liberty DAC
Old 14th May 2018
  #3
Or the superior Manhattan II with the ESS 9038 DAC chips. That one is $6k. For those in the cheaper seats the Project Audio Pre Box S2 at $399 will do as it also uses the ESS 9038's, a pair in a dual cosine configuration with full MQA rendering as well as DSD.
Old 14th May 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
The Broolyn is definitely better, and it does have a really good headphone amp.

MQA isn't of much significance IMO, but DSD capability is.

I'm using the Manhattan II, which is killer, but very expensive. The amount of detail, dynamic range, smoothness and coherence is the best I've heard. The DAC+ is the same generation, just less expensive components. The Brooklyn series benefits from an external power supply.
Old 14th May 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
Crane Song Solaris?
Old 14th May 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

When I tested Brooklyn and ADI-2 Pro FS I actually preferred ADI-2 Pro. I really adore its transparent, clean and deep sound to slightly more forward sounding Mytek.
Old 15th May 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Remember to use quality xlr cables from dac to active speakers (or power amp)....I thought my Rme Adi-2 (the old one) was thin sounding.....but with quality digital coax cable and some pro xlrs its pretty much spot on even though quite old now.
Old 16th May 2018
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Nicked_Wicked's Avatar
My vote goes to the ADI-2 Pro FS, had the the Brooklyn+ for a month which is very slightly more detailed, but is dirtier sound-wise (LP-like if you want), function-wise, RME hands down, the amount of things you can do is astonishing. The headamp of the ADI-2 also is pretty close to a Violectric V281 only lacking minor nuances and the delta sigma implementation is among Antelope Pure 2 and Lynx Hilo, very very impressive for the price. The pre-amp is a nice improvement over the one on the Babyface Pro too.

Best bang for the buck under 2k period.
Old 21st May 2018
  #9
Gear Head
 
vintagetube's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by user6231 View Post
Hi guys, I am new here and I seek for your advice. I want to upgrade my "music PC".
ATM I have cheap roland duo ex audio interface and KRK ROKIT 8 G3 speakers.

I want to buy Focal Solo 6 Be speakers and I really can't decide which interface should I get for them.
It's 95% music listening and just 5% music production.

I want it to be my endgame device, atleast for this room... since I'm planning mcintosh amp/preamp as next buy.
What would you choose and why?
I my personal opineon the Focals are not so impressive. I suggest that you listen to Geithain RL906 monitors: RL 906

These koaxial monitors in combination with the ADI-2 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS procuce a very pleasant "3D" sound / stage.

If you need phones that fit to this sound, then consider getting Audeze LCD-3, I recommend to take the Alcantara version, as this influences sound, panorama and comfort very positively. Get the LCD-3 with the strap of the LCD-4 (AKG alike) then its more comfortably to wear.

This is HiFi with a precise, natural sound. Defined, precise, detailed, rich. I like it.

If your preference is mixing/mastering I would have suggested for phones the LCD-X.

In regards to the ADI-2 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS ... I am using the Pro version for studio use and enjoying listening via phones and the DAC version in front of a High-End Hifi. No doubts about it, these are worth their money and are extremely flexible in use, best buy.
Old 21st May 2018
  #10
CRK
Gear Head
Can someone post a link to where they can purchase the ADI 2 Pro FS model (not the ADI 2 Pro)?
Old 21st May 2018
  #11
Gear Head
 
vintagetube's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
Can someone post a link to where they can purchase the ADI 2 Pro FS model (not the ADI 2 Pro)?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_adi_2_...f=search_prv_3

But why you ask ? I just see you have the normal Pro like me .. that is fully satisfactory.
There are no hearable differences. I also own the ADI-2 DAC, Pro and DAC, both are absolutely on par.
Old 30th May 2018
  #12
CRK
Gear Head
Quote:
But why you ask ? I just see you have the normal Pro like me .. that is fully satisfactory.
There are no hearable differences. I also own the ADI-2 DAC, Pro and DAC, both are absolutely on par.
I was sharing one with a colleague but he has moved to an new location, along with it. (I realized I couldn't live without it!). I wounder if they'll release a model with more I/O...but i might be a bit overkill for multi-tracking.
Old 30th May 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 
puriteaudio's Avatar
 

All the latest models of the PRO are the ‘FS’ Model, it should be printed on the facia panel, they are super units incredibly versatile.
Keiht
Old 23rd June 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Thank you all for your input, I went for ADI-2 FS and absolutely love it!
Old 24th June 2018
  #15
Gear Head
 

I’m in the market for a DAC to strictly drive my active monitors.

Mytek Liberty and Codex have reached the final stretch, and then this RME pops up …There’s another model, more affordable, the ADI-2 DAC, packed with features and options and with surprisingly better measurements. There’s a dedicated IEM output too (which I own).

Trying my luck: Has anyone compared the AD2-I to the Codex? Line output SQ of the DAC vs Pro?
Old 25th June 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
the title of the thread is
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ or RME ADI-2 Pro FS for hifi listening
So, for hifi listening is the not the same for studio monitoring

For hifi listening, I would advise the Mytek Liberty DAC
Old 25th June 2018
  #17
Gear Addict
 
puriteaudio's Avatar
 

Over at the ASR ( audio science review) forum the owner has been measuring a number of DACs including the RME ( both versions) and the Benchmark 3, might be of interest.
The Benchmark and RME both measure excellently .
Keith
Old 25th June 2018
  #18
mrc
Lives for gear
Differences between good converters theese thays are marginal compared to differences between speakers. My advice would be not to spent 6000$ on a dac and with the money you spend get some better speakers. The focals are good but there are better options out there. Try to consider a sealed speaker design too.
Old 25th June 2018
  #19
Dual ESS Sabre 9038 DAC chipsets are superior to the AKM and BurrBrown chipsets, I have those here too. The differences are not marginal, they are dramatic. MQA and DSD files are also superior to PCM. No, it doesn't cost the Manhattan's $6k price tag to enter. The Project Pre Box S2 Digital is only $399.
Old 26th June 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
Over at the ASR ( audio science review) forum the owner has been measuring a number of DACs including the RME ( both versions) and the Benchmark 3, might be of interest.
The Benchmark and RME both measure excellently .
Keith
But what do have measures to do with listening pleasure?
I don't understand at all
Old 26th June 2018
  #21
Gear Addict
 
puriteaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
But what do have measures to do with listening pleasure?
I don't understand at all
Everything.
Keith
Old 26th June 2018
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
But what do have measures to do with listening pleasure?
I don't understand at all

Now you’re barging into the decade old dustup between the measurementies and the auralies...I’d dare say neither of those schools of thoughts, when taken to the extreme, has the right of it, which leads up to the question: what’s the right mix-up then? Here we go onto the matters again…
Old 30th June 2018
  #23
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Dual ESS Sabre 9038 DAC chipsets are superior to the AKM and BurrBrown chipsets, I have those here too. The differences are not marginal, they are dramatic. MQA and DSD files are also superior to PCM. No, it doesn't cost the Manhattan's $6k price tag to enter. The Project Pre Box S2 Digital is only $399.
Double blind tests and measurements fail to validate your assertion that MQA is superior to PCM: Archimago's Musings: COMPARISON: MQA "Authentication" & Sound Quality? (Mytek Brooklyn & Meridian Explorer2)
(you can search his blog for the A/B tests)

MQA is a proposition that music lovers should resist with all their might. At day's end, it'll only enrich the conglomerates at our expense.

As for the dramatic improvement is SQ due to a double ESS Sabre 903 chipsets, that's a subjective opinion with a many good people bagging to differ. There're other able chipmakers out there. And no, no A/B has ever substantiated the claim that one is superior to the other.
Old 30th June 2018
  #24
Old 30th June 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveringBit View Post
Double blind tests and measurements fail to validate your assertion that MQA is superior to PCM: Archimago's Musings: COMPARISON: MQA "Authentication" & Sound Quality? (Mytek Brooklyn & Meridian Explorer2)
(you can search his blog for the A/B tests)

MQA is a proposition that music lovers should resist with all their might. At day's end, it'll only enrich the conglomerates at our expense.

As for the dramatic improvement is SQ due to a double ESS Sabre 903 chipsets, that's a subjective opinion with a many good people bagging to differ. There're other able chipmakers out there. And no, no A/B has ever substantiated the claim that one is superior to the other.
Those 9038s are a big deal. I've not encountered anyone who has used a device with them inside who was unimpressed.

And ask yourself, in audio, has a double blind A/B ever substantiated that ANY source of the same material is different than another? Has this method of testing actually proved useful for evaluating sound quality?
Old 30th June 2018
  #26
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC View Post
Those 9038s are a big deal. I've not encountered anyone who has used a device with them inside who was unimpressed.

And ask yourself, in audio, has a double blind A/B ever substantiated that ANY source of the same material is different than another? Has this method of testing actually proved useful for evaluating sound quality?
People can make out between tubes and transistors, don't they?
ABX will substantiate that with ease.

When I give an example, many People ask, "OK, give me another one." Don't feel like it...

Here's some fun reading material for you:
A Brief Guide to Audio for the Skeptical Consumer | Numeral Nine Audio Blog

It’s a thorough debunking of all the crap concepts the Hi-Fi industry has been selling to eager suckers. I don't blame them: there’re many obsessive/compulsive people on our earth, with too much time and money on their hands. I would gladly tell those people “Get a life” but they wouldn’t know one if it hit the in the face….
Old 30th June 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveringBit View Post
People can make out between tubes and transistors, don't they?
ABX will substantiate that with ease.

When I give an example, many People ask, "OK, give me another one." Don't feel like it...

Here's some fun reading material for you:
A Brief Guide to Audio for the Skeptical Consumer | Numeral Nine Audio Blog

It’s a thorough debunking of all the crap concepts the Hi-Fi industry has been selling to eager suckers. I don't blame them: there’re many obsessive/compulsive people on our earth, with too much time and money on their hands. I would gladly tell those people “Get a life” but they wouldn’t know one if it hit the in the face….
There have been threads here where in ABX tests trained engineers struggled to differentiate various microphone preamps, tube and solid state. Since those preamps all sound pretty distinct in my working environment, as do other things like but depth and sample rate, my take is that the testing format is a problem.

But about the 9038, I actually have a high end DAC with this chip that was upgraded from the ESS 9018, and though there were a few other circuit changes which confound a perfect scientific comparison, the sound improvement was substantial and impressive. This improvement was very perceptible in the elements of the sound that I associate less with an analog circuit. Remain skeptical, I'm just a guy making a claim, but I think that chip is a big step forward in digital audio.
Old 1st July 2018
  #28
Many of the MQA shootouts and demos wear done in less than ideal listening rooms and with the audience mostly not sitting in the sweet spot. Personal evaluations are best. Yes, the ESS Sabre 9038 is a fabulous sounding DAC chip, even better with a pair used in dual sine/cosine configuration as the Manhattan II and the S2 does. So far everyone that has heard it is sold.
Old 1st July 2018
  #29
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Many of the MQA shootouts and demos wear done in less than ideal listening rooms and with the audience mostly not sitting in the sweet spot. Personal evaluations are best. Yes, the ESS Sabre 9038 is a fabulous sounding DAC chip, even better with a pair used in dual sine/cosine configuration as the Manhattan II and the S2 does. So far everyone that has heard it is sold.
Do have any links to substantiate those sweeping accusations? In your opinion, did they place the subjects outside the sweetspot as to maliciously prejudice the outcome? Is a conspiracy brewing against MQA?

Sorry, it's difficult to take you seriously.
Old 1st July 2018
  #30
It's all over the web. Group sessions are always suspect because of group think and poor acoustics. As mentioned, it's best to perform personal evaluations, if interested in the subject.

Sometimes my wife doesn't take me seriously either, but that's how it goes.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump