The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC position contradiction? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

ATC position contradiction?

Is this not a contradiction? “Mid-range dome at or slightly below ear level” vs the drawing...
Attached Thumbnails
ATC position contradiction?-09f05b0a-be31-4061-afa6-22b0e181ea3d.jpg   ATC position contradiction?-76da8c65-cb6d-47d4-ba4d-a4b6f20826b8.jpg  
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

The rule really is the rules a generic recommendation, that said nobody knows ATC’s like ATC and the Quested 302 3 ways here sound best with the mid at ear level.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew montreal View Post
Is this not a contradiction? “Mid-range dome at or slightly below ear level” vs the drawing...
I have ATC 3-ways here (and other places.) When I saw that diagram (after many, many years arranging the mid-center as aligned to my ears) I arranged my newest set with the 5 degree axis perfectly calculated for a 3m distance (my listening distance for these speakers.) Every day when I'd stand up from my chair, I'd notice the sweet spot should still be mid-center and not 5 degree down. It was fairly obvious and in a tall "crouch" going from sitting to standing, with my eyes closed, I'd always end up at the same conclusion for where my ears should be in relation.

So I gave ATC a call about this.
In no uncertain terms, Ben Lilly at ATC said it should be centre (not above, not below, just centre.)
So my speakers were readjusted and I've been happy ever since.
So ignore that diagram.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

As I will be getting Sound Anchors which allow for perfect height adjustment, I plan to position the monitor with the mid-driver at ear level. What I am bringing up here is a contradiction in the ATC literature. In one case it says mid-driver at or slightly below ear level and the other days at or slightly above. It’s funny, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
The rule really is the rules a generic recommendation, that said nobody knows ATC’s like ATC and the Quested 302 3 ways here sound best with the mid at ear level.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search