The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 reissue vs vintage video Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
I am considering selling my M269c and a few other things (like a pair of U99) to finance buying a pair of reissue U67.

But I love the 269 and it has served me very, very well for 20 years, so I am a little apprehensive about letting it go.
Can you describe how you would characterize the differences between the U67 and the M269c? Also, is there anything you miss about the M269c?
BTW, I invite anyone with knowledge of these two mics to chime in here.
Hi, I got both, vintage units though. Maybe I can set up a test later next week.

For me the 269c is better. More opened up topend. More modern sounding I'd say but still got all the vintage mojo we considered to be good.

The expensive tube is one thing to take into consideration and that is one of the plus sides of the u67, its pretty inexpensive to service.

A pair though is always more useful but after trying some stuff out myself especially on drums which I don't feel the u67 are that special on I'd rather buy a C12 next then having a u67 pair.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Hi, I got both, vintage units though. Maybe I can set up a test later next week.

For me the 269c is better. More opened up topend. More modern sounding I'd say but still got all the vintage mojo we considered to be good.

The expensive tube is one thing to take into consideration and that is one of the plus sides of the u67, its pretty inexpensive to service.

A pair though is always more useful but after trying some stuff out myself especially on drums which I don't feel the u67 are that special on I'd rather buy a C12 next then having a u67 pair.
I have pair of 67 ( vintage ) and I prefer c12 or m49 as pair in all aplications
Old 2nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
I have pair of 67 ( vintage ) and I prefer c12 or m49 as pair in all aplications
I could definetly see that!

Do you own a 269c? I really feel it takes the u67 type to another level.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
I had a U67 Reissue arrive on Monday. I was fully prepared to be underwhelmed by it and send it back, but I am well and truly obsessed with it.

This is a very unscientific recording I did the other day with it to test it out. I recorded an acoustic guitar track, a lead vocal, and a harmony separately with the reissue through my Avedis MA5. The acoustic guitar is completely unprocessed, the lead vocal has some de-essing and a touch of transparent compression (but no EQ at all or any other processing), and the harmony is also raw but for some light compression. They're all being sent to the UAD EMT140 plate verb.

Disclaimer: I've only ever used one vintage U67 before. It sounded great, but I like my reissue more. I can't speak as to how close it is to a perfect, well-maintained vintage 67 worth several times the price. I just wanted a great tool to help me make better records. And I will say that personally, I like the way it represents my voice more than the vintage U47 with original M7 capsule and VF14 I tried, or the vintage U67, the Chandler REDD I have, and even my beloved vintage U87i, which was my benchmark for vocals. I would not change a single thing about the way it sounds.

Cheers,
Dan
Nice tune - I'd like to hear the finished product someday!
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am considering selling my M269c and a few other things (like a pair of U99) to finance buying a pair of reissue U67.

But I love the 269 and it has served me very, very well for 20 years, so I am a little apprehensive about letting it go.
Can you describe how you would characterize the differences between the U67 and the M269c? Also, is there anything you miss about the M269c?
If you are considering letting it go, I wouldn’t do that until you’ve A/Bed the reissue next to it. To me, my M269c had more top end and air, but I found the reissue to be smoother and more vintage sounding. They are in the same family though.

I like that I have a lot of EF86s and a killer sounding U67 that is new and worry free.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I could definetly see that!

Do you own a 269c? I really feel it takes the u67 type to another level.
I own just one M269. Perfect condition, never used. I like more U67, because is more different from other mics from my collection.But wouldn't sell it because of U67 reissue in any case. M269 is great mic. And will go up in price.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

So is there a key to the Stam/Vintage/Reissue video that was linked?

Shootouts are kind of useless unless there is a key somewhere at some point.

BTW, I liked B the best.

The other two seemed to have a little sizzle somewhere that I didn't care for. B was smoother to my ears.

Also, none of those would have been my first choice were I picking a mic for that track and that singer.

Last edited by drpeacock; 4th September 2018 at 02:49 AM..
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I think this sounds great, I also love the performance in the song.
Congratulations on your new baby :-) The microphone sounds wonderful

Cheers

Wiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
Congrats on your mic and great recording!

I have a reissue too. I had an M269c that I sold after getting my reissue. I fully expected to send the reissue back, but it was mind blowing. So, I kept it.

It bested a couple of vintage U67s and sounded identical to different one.

Enjoy, brother!
Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Nice tune - I'd like to hear the finished product someday!
Thanks PdotDdot! I haven't put out a proper cover of that track yet (I'm a big fan of Ryan Adams's work), so maybe I'll do a full length version using only the reissue. I'm also working on my own album of original material at the moment, and now that I have this mic I'll be using it on most of the tracks. Loving it!

Cheers,
Dan
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

I thought B was the Vintage 67 too. Chris
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I thought B was the Vintage 67 too. Chris
Is it?

Have I missed the reveal somewhere in the thread?
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

AFAIK it hasn't been revealed. IMHO it's been a bit too long for Stam, and waiting this long "steals its (own) thunder"-somewhat.

In any event, I'm glad to see all the recent positive reports here at GS, on the reissue. I'd still want to personally shootout a couple of reissues...
Before pulling the trigger on one.

Chris
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
AFAIK it hasn't been revealed. IMHO it's been a bit too long for Stam, and waiting this long "steals its (own) thunder"-somewhat.

In any event, I'm glad to see all the recent positive reports here at GS, on the reissue. I'd still want to personally shootout a couple of reissues...
Before pulling the trigger on one.

Chris
I bought a reissue and used it on almost all of the vocals on the album I'm working on right now.

I thought it was a great match for my voice, which is a tenor that doesn't do well with u47 style mics b/c the midrange "zip" is too much, has trouble with any mic that has a bump in the upper mids due to sibilance issues, gets along fine with ribbon mics (I did the bulk of my last record on an AEA r44) except that it sometimes wants a little more aggressive edge that the ribbons smooth out, and the u67 reissue was just what I needed.

I've not worked with a vintage example of a u67, but the producer I'm working with has. He likes the u67 reissue so much he's buying it from me.

FWTW...
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

I have an m269c and the reissue u67.

The m269c is identical to the reissue u67 except its brighter. Brighter in beautiful Neumann open kind of way. Not brighter in a 'modern' way. Almost like if you would be reaching for a pultec 10khz bump on a u67 vocal, you wouldn't be reaching for it with the m269c.

They both have exceptional depth and character.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rtland View Post
I have an m269c and the reissue u67.

The m269c is identical to the reissue u67 except its brighter. Brighter in beautiful Neumann open kind of way. Not brighter in a 'modern' way. Almost like if you would be reaching for a pultec 10khz bump on a u67 vocal, you wouldn't be reaching for it with the m269c.

They both have exceptional depth and character.
My findings too. Enjoy those beauties.
Old 20th October 2018
Got a reissue on the way! Got a great deal on an open box. You owners out there mind sharing what you paid? I feel like I got a great deal, but maybe everyone does?
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

I almost pulled the trigger on one earlier this week, but I’m going to wait just a little bit longer.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

I saw that video on YouTube a while back. I couldn’t tell a difference. Most of the comments mentioned that the reissue lacked the bass response of the vintage unit.
Old 21st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchat2314715 View Post
I saw that video on YouTube a while back. I couldn’t tell a difference. Most of the comments mentioned that the reissue lacked the bass response of the vintage unit.
I dont recall if the video mentions if the S2 jumper is removed but that would explain any low end discrepancy between the two.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

I may have a different ear but I think the U67 and the M269 in my case the French version have a totally different presentation. Yes they are both excellent mics but I find the M269 has a little sponge in its attack at least mine does, which puts a nice emphasis on an intimate vocal. The U67 is great at pretty much anything I throw at it including dynamic signals but there is just something sweet and sand like about the M series mics. The M49 has a bit of it too but more smooth
Anyway...I bet the reissue 67 is a winner. I wonder if Neumann Senn are to continue with reissues. The AC701K tube may be a challenge. Im sure that contributes to the sound. I have a lot of mics that use it.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

I haven’t heard the reissue but my 1967 U67 that’s been modified by Klaus is the most opulent sounding microphone I have ever heard.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

VK definetly did a poor job on the shootout on purpose and they know better on how to conduct one properly. We all know they strategically did different takes and phrases on purpose to hide the differences between the two mics. Now that is really revealing in regards to their salesman conduct. Thankfully the drum section was close enough to hear the differences. The vintage one had the extended low end bloom that the re-issue did not have.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Having recently switched out a capsule on an older m269 I can say that the difference between the older capsule and the newer capsule wasn't all that subtle. Not gonna use a ton of adjectives... Older one sounded "Better" by about 10-15% in every direction...
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Having recently switched out a capsule on an older m269 I can say that the difference between the older capsule and the newer capsule wasn't all that subtle. Not gonna use a ton of adjectives... Older one sounded "Better" by about 10-15% in every direction...
Why was the capsule switched out?
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

I purchased the m269 with a reskinned capsule... I then switched out the reskin for an older capsule I had on hand anyways which sounded great on first listen but was too dirty to be reliable in a working situation. so I switched out for a brand new capsule which worked perfectly... but sounded inferior :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Why was the capsule switched out?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search