The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 reissue vs vintage video Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
i also am interested in this in terms of stock verses another tube. Also did you snip the wire that disables the HPF?
Tried a few nos tubes
Still prefer stock
I lifted the s2 jumper
Sounds great
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Tried a few nos tubes
Still prefer stock
I lifted the s2 jumper
Sounds great

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u87allen View Post
Thanks
Tried amperex -very gooey round
Tele ef86 Grey plate - rounded more vintage esque
The stock tube,the mic sounds the most open,maybe ever so slightly more “modern” which is working really well.
Much prefer this mic to my last vintage one I sold last year.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Unfortunately for wallets, the vintage 67 seemed to have a more realistic quality to the reproduction, however this could also be due to the fact that all the performances through the vintage mic were nearly perfect in both instrument/vocal technique as well as recording technique (performer positioning themselves for optimal pickup) and those through the reissue were lesser in comparison, and in some cases completely showcased different ranges of the instrument or an entirely different instrument (guitar acoustic then electric for the reissue?!)

BUT, and it's a BIG BUT and I cannot lie haha, I think the most illuminating was the male vocalist who was consistent in timbre and intensity as well as his positioning for both mics, and so his was the sole performance that was impossible to distinguish as coming through the vintage vs reissue. And with that I'm going to assume that they sound virtually identical after a little break in period of the reissue.

PS - And for those people saying the u87ai is any less transparent and audibly "flat" than earlier and vintage models, probably hasn't had much experience with real world material outside shootout videos, because I've noticed the same trend in shootout videos but not in real world projects.

PPS - I still think Bock makes the best and most consistent modern microphones.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Tried amperex -very gooey round
Tele ef86 Grey plate - rounded more vintage esque
The stock tube,the mic sounds the most open,maybe ever so slightly more “modern” which is working really well.
Much prefer this mic to my last vintage one I sold last year.
Great info. Thanks much. Looks like I should just budget for the mic and worry about tubes later.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I went through a half dozen different NOS tube types and was amazed by the response differences. The personality of the tube type is more greatly magnified than in most circuits since the compensation feedback interacts directly with the capsule itself. I've never heard a tube change make so much sonic difference in any other type of circuit.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Great info. Thanks much. Looks like I should just budget for the mic and worry about tubes later.
Yes.
I could keep blowing money trying nos tubes or just get on with making records.
I’ll take option 2.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Also, the filament current is adjusted to suit the new tubes, which require more draw...at least according to Neumann.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have tried several NOS Telefunken EF86s in my reissue. I could not hear much, if any difference, so I put the stock EF86 back into the mic.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcollen View Post
I have tried several NOS Telefunken EF86s in my reissue. I could not hear much, if any difference, so I put the stock EF86 back into the mic.
That's really cool. Thanks for sharing! Having tried this mic out, with its Stock configuration. I simply cannot [and could not] imagine doing anything with it but pointing at it someone playing good music. I don't even think I would open it up even if I was bored. Its a really great sounding mic.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

On of these days, somebody is going to do a test where the heads of the new and vintage are swapped, so we can hear the difference between capsules. Just saying.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Are you a mindreader?
I will have my analysis ready in a week or so. It includes substituting all U67 reissue components (capsule head, mic amp, tube, cable, power supply...) with mint originals, one at a time, to see what does what, and, if there is a bottleneck, where exactly it may be....
KH
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Are you a mindreader?
I will have my analysis ready in a week or so. It includes substituting all U67 reissue components (capsule head, mic amp, tube, cable, power supply...) with mint originals, one at a time, to see what does what, and, if there is a bottleneck, where exactly it may be....
KH

Klaus,

We can’t wait to read your analysis.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you a mindreader?
KH
This is exactly how I always test two mics, when I hear differences.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are you a mindreader?
KH
Looking forward to that
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I have already swapped out capsules, supply’s with 5 different U67’s. Tested with s2 lifted, went through 15 different tubes, even different cables. Enough sources to drive you crazy.
The new capsule is slightly brighter. Tubes made a variety of sonic differences. Here’s the deal; left the reissue stock after all this, purchased two more reissue U67’s. Leaving them stock as well. You guys should keep talking about it and listen to internet samples. Meanwhile I’ll use my mic’s.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I have already swapped out capsules, supply’s with 5 different U67’s. Tested with s2 lifted, went through 15 different tubes, even different cables. Enough sources to drive you crazy.
The new capsule is slightly brighter. Tubes made a variety of sonic differences. Here’s the deal; left the reissue stock after all this, purchased two more reissue U67’s. Leaving them stock as well. You guys should keep talking about it and listen to internet samples. Meanwhile I’ll use my mic’s.
Did you end up lifting s2? Unfortunately we all need to keep talking about it because most of us aren't as lucky as you to be able to experiment like that. I'm jealous! Also annoyed now that you have pushed me one step closer to loosing $12,000 AUD and purchasing the reissue....
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
What did you hear in the low end with new v. old capsule?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Mine just landed. I had to run out to play a gig so didnt get a chance to plug in until late last night. Just amazed how beautiful and detailed it sounds with a quick plug and play while singing and strumming an acoustic. There is what I can only describe as a roundness/fullness that I have heard before on recordings that I always wanted to capture and now I have it. Looking forward to recording this weekend. I feel like a little school girl....
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
There is what I can only describe as a roundness/fullness that I have heard before on recordings that I always wanted to capture and now I have it. Looking forward to recording this weekend. I feel like a little school girl....
Fantastic, man. Awesome. Enjoy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search