The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Summing resistor network in a cable!!
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Head
Summing resistor network in a cable!!

I didn't see this one in the threads.
So I'm in the market for an analog summing box and I'm working with a local LA audio dealer, we start trying boxes then he tells me that he has a passive summing cable that they make and sell. 8 into 2 or 16 to 2. I blew it off as nonsense but He swears by it. It's a resistor network built into cstom cables, xlr, or Dsub.
They go for $250.
I can guess that it may not be that different than some of the other passive units out there. They will lend it to me to try so I'll give it A go.

Anyone tried this?
The sell is that it's to be used like the folcrum and go into your favorite preamp.
Old 3rd May 2018
I have made exactly this, 8 into 2. I used it for summing 4 stereo stems (with outboard processing on each stem) into a pair of preamps for makeup gain. It works.

I guess you could pay $250 for one, but you could also build it yourself for less than $50 in parts and an hour of soldering.

Best,

- J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Hills View Post
I didn't see this one in the threads.
So I'm in the market for an analog summing box and I'm working with a local LA audio dealer, we start trying boxes then he tells me that he has a passive summing cable that they make and sell. 8 into 2 or 16 to 2. I blew it off as nonsense but He swears by it. It's a resistor network built into cstom cables, xlr, or Dsub.
They go for $250.
I can guess that it may not be that different than some of the other passive units out there. They will lend it to me to try so I'll give it A go.

Anyone tried this?
The sell is that it's to be used like the folcrum and go into your favorite preamp.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Nut

or you could build one of these: SB2 Passive Summing Mixer Kit – DIY Recording Equipment
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Head
Yes, took your advice and bought the SB2, built it and installed it.

I put the output through a Neve 511, 517, BAE 1073d and Avalon 737's just to make sure it worked. Ran separated Drums, bass and couple of electric guitars through it.
Works fine and doesn't seem to add much color by itself for those interested.
Not a quality test yet as I'm still putting things together and just needed to see if it worked. I am becoming a fan of the passive sum into your favorite makeup gain device. I realize this is old hat to many but a pretty cool new OTB idea for me.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
I guess you could pay $250 for one, but you could also build it yourself for less than $50 in parts and an hour of soldering.
Do you happen to have a build list?
Old 29th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilznik View Post
Do you happen to have a build list?
I can't remember where I got this from to credit the creator properly, but you should be able to figure out whatever you need from this.

Best,

- J.
Attached Thumbnails
Summing resistor network in a cable!!-mixnetwork.gif  
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear
Update on the quality improvement?
Old 4 weeks ago
Use good quality resistors and it will sound like whatever preamp you use it with. Just keep the output cables as short as possible to avoid a HF roll-off.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search