The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic advice- Flea 49/47 pair
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Mic advice- Flea 49/47 pair

I’m trying to figure out the best approach here for a big mic upgrade. I record mostly singer songwriter stuff here, folksy and rootsy for the most part. I’m considering a pair of Flea mics at this point and can’t decide on the 47 or the 49. These would be used on a lot of sources- lead vocals, acoustic instruments, drum OHs (usually in a Glynn Johns setup), and whatever else may come up during tracking. What would you go for?...

-Flea 47 pair
-Flea 49 pair
- or one 47 and one 49
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I'd go for one of each. Nothing you mentioned you're recording is something I use a stereo pair as a go to for except overheads. That being said I'd im doing mostly Glynn Johns setup I personally wouldn't worry about a stereo pair either. Now the plus side is one will sound better then the other on almost every soures and with 2 options your doubling your chance. I love 47s on vocals but usually love 49s more if I have one available.

I don't own a 47 or 49 but, if a friend was bragging about getting a pair of 47s I'd feel a lot cooler responding "that's cool man I only have 1 47 but have a 49 too."
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

get one of each. I have both the 47 & 49 plus the 12 and find that the 49 is stellar on acoustic guitar while the 47 or 12 works equally well for vocals.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Cool- I was leaning toward one of each... you are helping to confirm my gut instinct. I’ve used the 47 for a couple projects and know what to expect. I just haven’t had any experience with the 49 to date.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

My other thought was to get a Flea 47, and then a pair of used u87s (same cost for a pair compared to one Flea 49) for stereo work on instruments. More bang for the buck here, I’m just not sure how “worth it” the 49 is having no firsthand experience.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Get one of each. I think the 49 is more of an allround mic than the 47, so if you insist on a pair, get the 49's. I wouldn't hesitate to use one 49 and one 47 in a Glyn Johns setup. I've even used a 49 and a KM56 once for Glyn Johns drums and it sounded great.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Well I pulled the trigger today on one of each... excited to see how they compare. Thanks
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a 47, (2)49 and a 12 from them in 2011 and quickly decided that the 12 isn't my cup of tea.

When deciding if I wanted a second 47 or 49 I based my decision on the fact that to my ears the 49 is more versatile than the 47. So I returned the 12 and had them make me a matched 2nd for my 49.

Couldn't be happier. Never missed not having a pair of 47 while the 49's are workhorses.
As a matter of fact I've recorded entire songs using mostly the stereo pair of 49's.

Herwig
Old 4th May 2018
Normally I would say one of each, but honestly I would pick up two M49's.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Addict

Yeah, if I was doing a pair I can see how the 49s could be more versatile with the smoother midrange. I know the 47 seemed absolutely perfect for my own vocal though when I had one here.

For some of my own folky music, I’m hoping to use the 49 on a lot of acoustic instruments and the 47 on vocals. Even tracking live performance vocals and guitar with the 47 and 49 should be pretty killer.
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Addict

Had a chance to try these out a bit this evening. I have to say the 49 is a truly great microphone. I had several high end mics up on acoustic to compare it to, and it was easily the most natural and pleasing of the bunch. Same for my own vocals- and pretty much everything else I tried it on. Though I’d probably prefer the cut of the 47 on my own voice in a denser mix, the 49 certainly sounds somehow more dignified (not an audio term, I know) in isolation. Really, really happy with both of these mics though, as they both have clearly and easily jumped to the top of the food chain here. Of course, now I’m thinking about unloading some other stuff to make room for another 49.
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 View Post
Had a chance to try these out a bit this evening. I have to say the 49 is a truly great microphone. I had several high end mics up on acoustic to compare it to, and it was easily the most natural and pleasing of the bunch. Same for my own vocals- and pretty much everything else I tried it on. Though I’d probably prefer the cut of the 47 on my own voice in a denser mix, the 49 certainly sounds somehow more dignified (not an audio term, I know) in isolation. Really, really happy with both of these mics though, as they both have clearly and easily jumped to the top of the food chain here. Of course, now I’m thinking about unloading some other stuff to make room for another 49.
Those three mics have easily been the best investment I have made gear-wise.

I don't know how well the compare to the originals but honestly I don't care, they made my recording life *so* much easier.

Herwig
Old 17th May 2018
500 series nutjob

49's
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

There’s quite a lot of variation amongst original m49s in my experience, but the Flea 49 gets you extraordinarily close to a good original... to my ears.

As in EXTREMELY close. Better than any other ‘re-issue/clone’ I’ve used does anyway...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search