The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital patchbay for monitors Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st May 2018
Digital patchbay for monitors

Hi guys, I can't find any info on this.

I have both ADAM S5 and PMC two two 8.

I'm using HD Native card going into a Prism ADA-8 XR and then via BNC into my DA2 which converts it to Analogue.

Then into Colman M3PH monitor controller and from the controller to the speakers (analogue), however, apparently the sound then gets converted internally into digital and then back to analogue in order to use the DSP on the speakers.

How do I go about going digitally to both monitors in order to save one conversion?

Is there a digital patchbay (xlr) that I can go into with a single AES/EBU or BNC (or any other digital connection) and then split it into two pairs of speakers?

So one AES in and 4 AES out (L+R and another L+R).

And how does something like that clock everything?

Cheers
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black View Post
I have both ADAM S5 and PMC two two 8.
... How do I go about going digitally to both monitors in order to save one conversion?
Is there a digital patchbay (xlr) that I can go into with a single AES/EBU or BNC (or any other digital connection) and then split it into two pairs of speakers?

So one AES in and 4 AES out (L+R and another L+R).

And how does something like that clock everything?
I think the design of most AES3 capable speakers is a 'daisy chain' for the stereo pair, so one cable enters a speaker and the AES-thru connection propagates to the other half of the pair.

If that's the case with both of your Adam and PMC speaker pairs, then you'd only need one (1in-to-2out) passive splitter. Whirlwind makes one for about $150 USD. I'm sure there are others.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

The Z-Systems 8x8 AES matrix can sometimes be found used for a good price. Tremendously flexible and reliable. 8 simultaneous stereo pair routing. More than you need at the moment but that can obviously change quickly.
There are two versions. The earlier uses individual XLR I/O, the later a D-sub. The interfaces are a little different but functionally the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search