The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any thoughts on chandler redd 47 mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear

Any thoughts on chandler redd 47 mic?

Frankly I could really do without an internal preamp as that would be somewhat problematic with my external preamp that I'm going to be using (which happens to be a Chandler TG2 "abbey road" preamp). Anyhow, I am wondering what people have to say about the REDD 47 mic as compared to oh lets say (keep the ELAM 251's out of the picture for now) a Bock 251 (and yes i know they are totally different microphones) and this would be used for vocals. The most high end mic i've had the pleasure of using has been a CM-7 GT S from wunder audio. It was extremely impressive. Also tried a CM-67S which was very smooth. There are issues though with Wunder - but thats another story. I could save thousands and get a demo REDD 47 mic instead of spending much more for a Bock 251. Its just that having two preamps for my signal to go through and the drive switch on the REDD mic seems frivilious to me. I don't see the point really. Anyway, I know I need to search and see what people have said about these two very different microphones, but just off the top of your heads, what can you tell me about the REDD mic? BTW - Mike (of wunder audio fame) convinced me to pursue my dual mono miking of vocals. I simple use a R122mKII ribbon and a tube condenser which in this case would be a 251, or a REDD mic. The image is obviously wider though you can betcha there may be problems with phasing. Obviously I would go for a CM-7S but due to issues involved that I cannot go into, that won't be happening again wunder has ITS ISSUES. I don't want too much high end and am afraid of sibilance quite a bit but i don't want any low muddy sound out of it either. The idea is mic your vocals, acoustic instruments, amp/guitar etc., really well then you won't have to spend thousands on EQ's and compressors to fix anything (i don't care for plugins so I tend to invest quite a bit in outboard gear - a rather naughty habit of mine) This would be my GO-TO vocal mic. Should I invest in the Bock 251 over the REDD mic or save the money and go with a REDD mic? This is that microphone that will always be used on vocals, and probably along with a ribbon, acoustic guitar/instruments/vocals to boot. Frankly, although my ears and trained, I don't honestly feel they are trained enough to truly say make a distinction worthy enough - simply put....my ears will be happy (even with a lousy MA-201fet which is what I use now) if I get the dual mono miking technique right, have the gain in the dual channel preamp set right, etc. and apply all the tools and techniques to make my recordings which I might add, sound like they're from the 1970's - they do NOT sound at all modern nor do I really care for a modern sound. Also with my voice, I do triple part harmonies, think Crosby Stills Nash, The Byrds, Grateful Dead, I could go on. So the style needs to fit the microphone and I have a sneaking suspicion that the REDD mic is 1) not a clone of a classic Neumann 2) sort of vintage/modern together 3) its own beast altogether whereas a Bock 251 is (like the soundelux too) an ELAM 251 clone. So I'm just losing my mind trying to nail down what mic I need to go with. Vocal tracks are the most pivotal tracks of all my sessions in PT. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by creativematrix; 1st May 2018 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention.....
Old 1st May 2018
m03
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativematrix View Post
Anyway, I know I need to search and see what people have said about these two very different microphones, but just off the top of your heads, what can you tell me about the REDD mic?
You might want to check out this thread:

Chandler REDD microphone
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

1) Like it was stated, check the thread above
2) You will ONLY know by trying it in your own environment
3) You're too hung up on the PRE thing. Turn it down all the way (+4) & use another pre. It is part of the internal wiring of the mic anyway.
4) You keep calling it a "47". Has nothing to do with the number (just called "REDD") or the sound of a 47. Closer to the sound of a C-800G than a U47.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
1) Like it was stated, check the thread above
2) You will ONLY know by trying it in your own environment
3) You're too hung up on the PRE thing. Turn it down all the way (+4) & use another pre. It is part of the internal wiring of the mic anyway.
4) You keep calling it a "47". Has nothing to do with the number (just called "REDD") or the sound of a 47. Closer to the sound of a C-800G than a U47.
I thought I just read that the Sony was C8000 was a copy of the U47
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict

Have a real 251 the Bock 251 and the Redd mic. The Bock and the Redd are both great microphones. The Redd mic is very functional with its built in amp and the different settings you can use with it. The other thread is very informative about the Redd mic. It is also used here in +4 with the Redd 47 pre amp and their RS-124. We like having options for the mic, however, it is very functional on its own as said. The Bock 251 is different sound wise than the Redd. I can’t part with either. As mentioned earlier, it would be a wise option to get both in your room and test them with your gear, instruments, and voices. Two different animals.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
I thought I just read that the Sony was C8000 was a copy of the U47
Oh dear.
Um... no.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativematrix View Post
Frankly I could really do without an internal preamp as that would be somewhat problematic with my external preamp that I'm going to be using (which happens to be a Chandler TG2 "abbey road" preamp). Anyhow, I am wondering what people have to say about the REDD 47 mic as compared to oh lets say (keep the ELAM 251's out of the picture for now) a Bock 251 (and yes i know they are totally different microphones) and this would be used for vocals. The most high end mic i've had the pleasure of using has been a CM-7 GT S from wunder audio. It was extremely impressive. Also tried a CM-67S which was very smooth. There are issues though with Wunder - but thats another story. I could save thousands and get a demo REDD 47 mic instead of spending much more for a Bock 251. Its just that having two preamps for my signal to go through and the drive switch on the REDD mic seems frivilious to me. I don't see the point really. Anyway, I know I need to search and see what people have said about these two very different microphones, but just off the top of your heads, what can you tell me about the REDD mic? BTW - Mike (of wunder audio fame) convinced me to pursue my dual mono miking of vocals. I simple use a R122mKII ribbon and a tube condenser which in this case would be a 251, or a REDD mic. The image is obviously wider though you can betcha there may be problems with phasing. Obviously I would go for a CM-7S but due to issues involved that I cannot go into, that won't be happening again wunder has ITS ISSUES. I don't want too much high end and am afraid of sibilance quite a bit but i don't want any low muddy sound out of it either. The idea is mic your vocals, acoustic instruments, amp/guitar etc., really well then you won't have to spend thousands on EQ's and compressors to fix anything (i don't care for plugins so I tend to invest quite a bit in outboard gear - a rather naughty habit of mine) This would be my GO-TO vocal mic. Should I invest in the Bock 251 over the REDD mic or save the money and go with a REDD mic? This is that microphone that will always be used on vocals, and probably along with a ribbon, acoustic guitar/instruments/vocals to boot. Frankly, although my ears and trained, I don't honestly feel they are trained enough to truly say make a distinction worthy enough - simply put....my ears will be happy (even with a lousy MA-201fet which is what I use now) if I get the dual mono miking technique right, have the gain in the dual channel preamp set right, etc. and apply all the tools and techniques to make my recordings which I might add, sound like they're from the 1970's - they do NOT sound at all modern nor do I really care for a modern sound. Also with my voice, I do triple part harmonies, think Crosby Stills Nash, The Byrds, Grateful Dead, I could go on. So the style needs to fit the microphone and I have a sneaking suspicion that the REDD mic is 1) not a clone of a classic Neumann 2) sort of vintage/modern together 3) its own beast altogether whereas a Bock 251 is (like the soundelux too) an ELAM 251 clone. So I'm just losing my mind trying to nail down what mic I need to go with. Vocal tracks are the most pivotal tracks of all my sessions in PT. Thanks for your time.
Get a demo of as many mics you can in your room.
Use it for a few days in your place before you decide.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search