The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB?
Old 25th April 2019 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if Serban did that new Ciara song "Thinking Bout You". Great R&B mix that has that console sound but sounds like something Serban did.

Thanks Marc
Old 25th April 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SongsByGROVER View Post
Ok sick, thanks! Also, when you said you send all fx baked in... is that even including vocal reverbs? Or would they be printed but on a separate stem to the actual lead vocal?

I guess with the plugins, the thing that's hard to accept but critical, is that these guys (and you of course), are working with great singers recorded in presumably great rooms, and i'm here figuring out how I can get my own crappy-sung bedroom-recorded vocals to that same level of polish, trying every plugin i can throw at it, haha...

Cheers!
I print all auxes on separate tracks with vocal tracks themselves dry. I also print reverb and delay trails on their own tracks so the vocal is really quite dry if that makes sense... Almost all of the verb on vocal comes from reverb trails at end of phrases.

I don't think the room matters, really just how you treat it. I have a song w Fitz and the Tantrums coming out May 3rd where the vocal was recorded in someone's bedroom directly into an Apollo and dry it didn't sound incredible. Enough of the right processing and it turned out great.
Old 26th April 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsa View Post
I print all auxes on separate tracks with vocal tracks themselves dry. I also print reverb and delay trails on their own tracks so the vocal is really quite dry if that makes sense... Almost all of the verb on vocal comes from reverb trails at end of phrases.

I don't think the room matters, really just how you treat it. I have a song w Fitz and the Tantrums coming out May 3rd where the vocal was recorded in someone's bedroom directly into an Apollo and dry it didn't sound incredible. Enough of the right processing and it turned out great.
Ok great, thanks, yeah that makes sense... I was thinking surely people dont render reverb ONTO the vocal stem before sending it to mixing, seems like it would make it unnecessarily difficult to do any further processing for the mixer.

And yeah sure, I suppose I meant more like 90% singer, 10% room. When I get artists round to my place they sound a lot better than I do on the mic! Haha. It's rare that I sing my own demos anymore tbf, finally found some good collaborators
Old 1st May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I print all auxes on separate tracks with vocal tracks themselves dry. I also print reverb and delay trails on their own tracks so the vocal is really quite dry if that makes sense...
What’s your approach for mix bus?
And how do you use parallel processing?
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
What’s your approach for mix bus?
And how do you use parallel processing?
My mix bus is out of PT into two Pultecs, an SSL G bus compressor then into the Crane Song HEDD adding a lot of low end distortion with the tape knob and converting back digitally into PT. After that it's Waves Linear Multiband, a UAD Pultec for some more high end, then bx v3 (I think it's called?) taking low end off the sides and making everything below 100hz mono, then JST Clip as my main limiter printing at around -7/-6.

I only use parallel compression on drums and vocals. All of which gets used in Serban's mixes. On drums I send my entire drum bus to a UAD 33609, and on vocals I send my dry lead vocal to a Dimension D with the blue 1176 after it and blend that signal underneath the dry vocal. It works on every vocalist....just put it on a Celine Dion vocal and does the same thing it did for me on Bebe Rexha's voice.

Last edited by Wellsa; 2nd May 2019 at 08:29 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mix bus is out of PT into two Pultecs, an SSL G bus compressor then into the Crane Song HEDD adding a lot of low end distortion with the tape knob and converting back digitally into PT.

I only use parallel compression on drums and vocals. All of which gets used in Serban's mixes. On drums I send my entire drum bus to a UAD 33609, and on vocals I send my dry lead vocal to a Dimension D with the blue 1176 after it and blend that signal underneath the dry vocal. It works on every vocalist....just put it on a Celine Dion vocal and does the same thing it did for me on Bebe Rexha's voice.
Is the Dimension D and 1176 uad?
Lives for gear

Thanks Wellsa for giving away some of your secret sauce.

Inspirational and educational at the same time.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Is the Dimension D and 1176 uad?
Yep. I have a console coming in a week that will change the set up a bit and have my vocal processing mostly out of box but this is in my template I use for everything

Last edited by Wellsa; 2nd May 2019 at 07:36 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. I have a console coming in a week that will change the set up a bit and have my vocal processing mostly out of box but this is in my template I use for everything
Nice, what console is it?

Thanks for the tips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Nice, what console is it?

Thanks for the tips!
It's a custom 16 channel Tree Audio/Inward Connections console. Basically their roots console but with no preamps and 32 500 series slots. Just for summing/mixing. But it was designed to be an extension of my production/mix template so processing won't change all that much.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a custom 16 channel Tree Audio/Inward Connections console. Basically their roots console but with no preamps and 32 500 series slots. Just for summing/mixing. But it was designed to be an extension of my production/mix template so processing won't change all that much.
Very nice - enjoy!

I have GAS for their Branch II channel strip (via Paul G as always), would love to hear it.
Old 20th June 2019
Here for the gear

serban ghenea

I just listened to Ariana grande's side to side and on her vocals I noticed the tight leash on the extreme lows to survive the switch from full-range monitors to small, single-driver speakers remarkably well. The highs, on the other hand are extended and fairly full-on, to keep things shiny-sounding even if your boombox is sitting behind the sofa. There’s also a small but significant peak in the vocal response around 4.5kHz (a hallmark of many Serban Ghenea mixes), ensuring that ariana's persona dominates the frequency region where human hearing is at its most sensitive, and which low-spec playback systems are therefore usually best suited to reproducing. Mono compatibility is excellent too, even though there’s a useful amount of spread in the stereo mix on account of widening effects (you can clearly hear such a vocal treatment in the stereo Sides signal.) and a few wider-panned, but musically inessential backing-vocal layers.

This dude is amazing. I wish there was more information on him.

Attached Files

Serban Ariana Ld Voc Stem.mp3 (3.46 MB, 6269 views)

Old 20th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Not to detract from Serban's work — he's obviously insanely good at what he does — but an equally important factor in songs like this is the vocal production, and in this case, we can thank Ilya, Max Martin, and their teams of engineers. These kinds of productions often take dozens of people working their asses off to arrive at the impeccable performance you hear in the final release.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Music View Post
This dude is amazing. I wish there was more information on him.
Serban Ghenea Mixes - all ITB?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
.... but an equally important factor in songs like this is the vocal production, and in this case, we can thank Ilya, Max Martin, and their teams of engineers. These kinds of productions often take dozens of people working their asses off to arrive at the impeccable performance you hear in the final release.
That's right!

And let's not forget about the vox performance. TBH, I really can't tell if there is any AT there, but nonetheless, that is a stellar performance.

Sure, Serban is great, but it ain't all him.

Cheers.
Old 21st June 2019 | Show parent
Every vocal he does sounds like a million bucks. I love his vocal sounds. And his drums always hit very, very hard. "Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae is one of my favorite mixes, and is an example of this. Great example to follow!
Old 21st June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

He is so inspiring! All his mixes are my references.
Old 22nd June 2019 | Show parent
The man is one of the best Mixers working today. But due to one Wikipedia editor's ignorance they have refused to allow an English Wikipedia page on him, absolutely ludicrous.

This is their justification, in the words of one editor; “‘Mixer’ is far further down the food chain of a finished musical track, and in terms of the avril lavignes and lifehouses of the world, may be a very insignificant role not worthy of praise.”
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
"Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae is one of my favorite mixes, and is an example of this. Great example to follow!
A bit offtopic, this song you mentioned somehow reminded me of Head from Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01MStHbl9E

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
A bit offtopic, this song you mentioned somehow reminded me of Head from Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01MStHbl9E
Totally!

I thought the Monae song was a Prince ripoff, but then I found out Prince worked on it before he died, so I felt better about the whole thing. Love Monae, love Prince even more (and I think she'd approve of that statement).

RIP Purple one. I know it's been a while, but I feel the loss even still.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfreeman View Post
Totally!

I thought the Monae song was a Prince ripoff, but then I found out Prince worked on it before he died, so I felt better about the whole thing. Love Monae, love Prince even more (and I think she'd approve of that statement).

RIP Purple one. I know it's been a while, but I feel the loss even still.
Ah, that explains it, good song, heavenly mixed, all good.
Deleted 5f4684d
The vocal peak at 4k is most likely the mic she used, c800g. Then it's easy to use a pulteq Eq, remove lows add highs and done. He's good but the production is amazing first and foremost, I give way more props to that than his mix. I do think at this point, they go to him because of his past credits. I doubt he's given really awful productions to work with. Anyone he works with is usually a top 20 artist worldwide with top music producers on their side.
Old 29th June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

One of my favorite mixes and songs of all time of course by serban.

Old 29th June 2019
Gear Nut

Does anyone know any other big pop mixers these days? Seems like everything on the pop charts these days is mixed by Serban Ghenea, Manny Marroquin, Spike Stent or Tony Maserati. But I often hear really good mixes, some of which are from Canada, and I can't find credits for them anywhere.

For example, if anyone can venture a guess at who mixed these tracks please do.

Bad Habits - Delaney Jane (Kinda sounds like a Serban mix to me, in particular the drums and the low end. I find it to be a very similar mix to Tokyo Nights - Digital Farm Animals which was mixed by Serban)

Dancing With A Stranger - Sam Smith

If I Can't Have You - Shawn Mendes

Never Really Over - Katy Perry (Thought it was Serban maybe because she's been a client of his in the past)

La La Land - Shaun Frank

Just wondering who some of the other big pop mixers are these days. It seems like a small group of people have the charts locked down, could be mistaken though
Lives for gear

Josh Gudwin is really good mixer
Jaycen Joshua is another GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepulse101 View Post
Never Really Over - Katy Perry (Thought it was Serban maybe because she's been a client of his in the past)
Zedd

Quote:
George Seara

Quote:
Kevin Davis
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Discogs tends to have the info under the main version of the track: https://www.discogs.com/Shawn-Mendes...lease/13583952
TLS
Gear Maniac

Tidal usually has all the credits so check the credits for the tracks there (you don't need to have a subscription).
Old 30th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Tidal usually has all the credits so check the credits for the tracks there (you don't need to have a subscription).
That's great, I didn't know that. How would you search for the credits? On the Tidal website?
Old 1st July 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Does anyone know any other big pop mixers these days? Seems like everything on the pop charts these days is mixed by Serban Ghenea, Manny Marroquin, Spike Stent or Tony Maserati. But I often hear really good mixes, some of which are from Canada, and I can't find credits for them anywhere.

Bad Habits - Delaney Jane (Kinda sounds like a Serban mix to me, in particular the drums and the low end. I find it to be a very similar mix to Tokyo Nights - Digital Farm Animals which was mixed by Serban)

La La Land - Shaun Frank

Just wondering who some of the other big pop mixers are these days. It seems like a small group of people have the charts locked down, could be mistaken though
https://jaxsta.com/release/cf5926f1-...60b3b/overview

I’m sounding like a stuck record with this site - but I just did a quick search here and it’s got all the details for this one - pulled from label copy so you know it’s accurate (well, as accurate as the label has it anyway!).

Search the rest of your queries here...
Old 1st July 2019 | Show parent
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:

Just visit puremix or mix with the masters masters/mentiors and you'll get a pretty comprehensive list of all the top dogs
📝 Reply