The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters Audio Interfaces
Old 29th April 2018
Here for the gear

Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters

hello,

i already connected my 1073 mic preamps to my babyface pro input 3 but i also want to use the converters of the dpd version...

i heard that it can be difficult to connect the dpd to babyface pro, is that true?

how do i connect the dpd converters to my babyface pro?
i uploaded 2 screenshots... do i need to connect "AES SYNC" to my babyface pro SPDIF with the following cable XLR to SPDIF?

or how do i do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters-ams-neve-1073-dpd_b.jpg   Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters-9840651_800.jpg  
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
hello,

i already connected my 1073 mic preamps to my babyface pro input 3 but i also want to use the converters of the dpd version...

i heard that it can be difficult to connect the dpd to babyface pro, is that true?

how do i connect the dpd converters to my babyface pro?
i uploaded 2 screenshots... do i need to connect "AES SYNC" to my babyface pro SPDIF with the following cable XLR to SPDIF?

or how do i do that?
your Unit does NOT have an AES output (so you cannot convert to SPDIF) .. it has DSD outputs .. the AES is a SYNC INPUT .. not an OUTPUT ..

sorry man ...

see page 3 of the manual .. https://ams-neve.com/wp-content/uplo...manual-1_0.pdf
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear
It absolutely DOES have AES outputs, what do you think those two XLRs on the left of the picture above are? The DSD outputs are on BNC, the AES on XLR, from the same page on the manual you linked to "OUT 1/L and 2/R - Male XLRs outputting standard AES 110ohm digital audio.". The reason there's two XLRs is for higher sample rates.

It should work with that cable, AES>SPDIF is easier than SPDIF>AES.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
It absolutely DOES have AES outputs, what do you think those two XLRs on the left of the picture above are? The DSD outputs are on BNC, the AES on XLR, from the same page on the manual you linked to "OUT 1/L and 2/R - Male XLRs outputting standard AES 110ohm digital audio.". The reason there's two XLRs is for higher sample rates.

well, happy to stand corrected .. i read past that too fast this morning ..

then AES to SPDIF converter or can you use a properly wired AES to SPDIF Cable ???
Old 29th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post

so on the left side the 2 (OUT 1/L and OUT 2/R) are AES Outputs?
and on the left the 2 (DSD L and R) are DSD Outputs with BNC? (look at the picture)

but which cable is AES > SPDIF? 2x AES Output to SPDIF?
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1073 DPD to Babyfacepro? Converters-wa.jpg  
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

rtfm!

you need an external format converter to convert aes to spdif optical.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
rtfm!

Looking at the ports on the BFP would have worked also.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
rtfm!

would something like this work for the OP ??

Hosa ODL312 | Sweetwater
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
would something like this work for the OP ??

Hosa ODL312 | Sweetwater

yes (up to 96k)
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
yes (up to 96k)
right .. Single for 96k .. not Double for 192k ...

not too many folks are working at 192k .. but since this Unit has DSD i could see that might be a chance ..

not sure if you could use two of them for that purpose .. there are probably better solution at that point ..
Old 30th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
well, happy to stand corrected .. i read past that too fast this morning ..

then AES to SPDIF converter or can you use a properly wired AES to SPDIF Cable ???
I think from what’s being posted you need optical in this instance, but to go aes to coax spdif you just need a cable wired correctly. AES and SPDIF are identical formats, aes being balanced and SPDIF carrying various metadata, but you can go between them.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search