The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting new Monitors Headphone Amps
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Head

Getting new Monitors

Right now I have a pair of Event 2020 bas. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Focal Twin6 be. Is this a significant leap forward? My main issue is the bass. The Events don't seem to produce enough of it clearly. I think my room acoustics situation is ok at this point.
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

If you like the 20/20's, check out the ASP 8's. Similar speaker, but more headroom and lower cutoff frequency. Oh, and shiny!
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Nut

I own a pair of asp 8´s and to me they are definetely the way to go in that price range.
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Head

Ok, you guys got me interested in the ASP 8! The reviews look relatively good and I love the price, and the shinyness!!! But how does it stand up the Focal Twin6 be? I would have lthought the Focal would be in a different class altogether? BTW my budget is in the +/- 3000.00 ish range. I'm hoping to make a big leap from my old monitors.
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Addict

hi

go check out this link and watch all the films

Fletcher takes on Focal, film at 11...

i think the explanation as to how good the focals are might be there

p.s. i want a set as well................but that is just dreams
Old 26th April 2007
Lives for gear

Working at Mercenary I get to try all sorts of monitors; everything from Focal's to custom one of a kind monitors. After using the Focal's to mix a couple of times I immediately knew they were my monitor of choice. I could listen to them for hours straight without making my ears ring and my mixes turned out better in less time. Ultimately this made me more comfortable during my mixes because I didn’t doubt the information I heard. I knew I understood what the speakers were telling me and was able to confidently make good choices.

Personally, I like the Solo6's, but we also have a huge set of Urie mains so I don't need a near field with a ton of bottom end. The Twin6's should give you another octave on the bottom end, which will help you make better decisions when it comes to kick, bass, and anything else lurking down there.
Old 26th April 2007
I've had the misfortune of owning Event 20/20's . The 20/20's arent even worthy to be used as something to put the twin 6's on top of. They are in a completely different class.
Much like comparing a Yugo with a Porche Turbo Carrera
Old 26th April 2007
Lives for gear

another thumb down for the 20/20 here
Old 27th April 2007
Gear Head

I agree with the thumbs down for the Event 20/20. These are my first monitors that I got on the recommendation from a Guitar Center salesman when I didn't know any better. Can't really describe it but it seems like they have a "plasticy" sound to them if that makes any sense. The upper mids are harsh to me and its hard for me to make good decisions in the bass region. Ramjet, thanks for the link to the films. Very informative. Zwinter, I'll be in touch with Mercenary soon. I see a new pair of Focal Twin 6s in my very near future heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search