The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shadow Hills Mastering Comp (hardware) opto big noise problem (video included) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Shadow Hills Mastering Comp (hardware) opto big noise problem (video included)

Hello guys, i've recently acquired a Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, used one, only one previous owner (a guy i can trust).

it was working perfect at the studio where i tried it, but after a 6hours drive (i tried to handle it with as much care as i could), i'm having a huge noise on one channel, on the optical compression stage. everything else seems fine, even the compression on that channel is fine, just adds a lot of noise when engaged.

Anyone has any idea of things to check inside before i have to send it to repair ? i've some experience in console maintenance (i redid my studer 903) and electronic, but i thought that someone here may know what the problem is ?

it's not just a white noise, it also crackles, exactly like a nice fireplace

here is a video of the problem :

ps : changing the threshold and the gain, or anything else, doesn't seem to affect the noise. it seems to be an ON/OFF noise, not related to changing a setting.
Old 24th April 2018
Contacting Shadow Hills is your best option to have it corrected quickly.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like one of the amp cards needs to be reseated...
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

i opened it, every mechanical element seems to be correctly set, i've checked all wires, try to gently move them, but the noise still stays the same. it's not even pot noise because they are not pots but "selectors" (i don't know how to explain it in english, basically they act like switches). really a bummer. i live in France so i cannot really ship it to Texas, plus i'm hoping it' just a tiny problem that i can fix here and avoid to have to move around the unit more.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

update : i've switched the op-amp from one channel to the other : nothing changed
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like it could be a cap gone bad or a cold solder joint, to my ears... and from a little deduction.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpastor;13276451 [B
huge noise on one channel, on the optical compression stage.[/B]
Does this have removable opto attenuators? Maybe need new.

Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

i just had Peter on the phone, really nice guy. we conducted some more test, he is going to try to reproduce it at his place, and we'll see what the problem is. other than that, the unit sounds really gorgeous, i'm sure it's going to be a tiny component, or maybe a soldering joint that didn't like the transportation much (as Toledo3 said). if anyone has other ideas, please let me know.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Nut

Hello everyone, i'm updating this thread because i've solved my problem on my own (i could get a hold of Peter really quickly but then it wasn't super helpful, i guess it's not easy to solve a problem at distance).

The sound made by the unit was a typical damaged TRANSISTOR sound, i've learned that with all the reseach i made. Here is how i troubleshot the problem : i used my oscilloscope to check the output signal of all the components on the board (i didn't have any schematic so it was realy hard to find the signal path).

i made a list of component that were before the noise, and a list of componenent that were after the noise. The goal was to find the one that was actually creating the noise. i narrowed it down to a transistor (that is when i did research and found out it was a transistor noise). i ordered the parts (i changed a pair), and it worked !

i've updated this topic for people that may have similar problem in the futur.
Old 4th May 2018
Thanks for sharing this information; we're glad the unit it is now working properly . I have not used a oscilloscope in years but it's a great tool to have when you have electronic issues.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

i'm updating this topic because the noise came back. i believe there is something in the path before that transistor that must have a problem and is causing it to fail.

- As previously stated i had Peter on the phone,i emailed him the video as discussed on the phone. 4 days later as i didn't hear anything from him, i emailed and said i'd start doing some research on my own with my oscilloscope, as i roughly knew where the problem was coming from.

- He answered and said he would give me some location, but i never heard anything after that.

- i emailed few days later saying i narrowed the problem to a tiny pcb, if he had any locations on that (he could check the path and give me the components to check intead of me trying blindly everything for hours)

- i emailed a week later telling i changed a transistor that seemed to be causing the problem and that it worked now, still no answers.

- i emailed a week later cause the noise came back, i asked him if by any chance they would sell me these tiny pcb so i could try to swap one : no answer.

i'm not going to be shipping back and forth a 10000 euros unit in a 11000 miles trip... I called one of the best repair shop here that used to be in charge of this brand (not 100% sure but from memory) and he explained that it would be shipped over there at my cost anyway cause nobody will officially touch it here in France.

i'll change this transistor again, it's a easy job comparing to recaping my 2500+ caps studer console, but i've got to admit it's a real shame for such an expensive unit. On top of that, because of my "OCD" i barely want to use it anymore but i cannot sell it untill the problem is 100% fixed. i understand brands don't want to give their designs and schematics (althought i've got each single component path, diagrams and plans for my console), but an answer is the minimum....

These high end machines are expensive, and we buy them for work, these are tools for us. If my tool has a problem, as a high end unit, i expect a caring customer service. The customer service for this kind of gear should be more than the traditional few years warranty, and it is the case for most of the very high end gear.

This Shadow Hill units surely sound good, but i'll never buy anything from them again.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

What about taking that pcb out of the unit and send that to texas for service instead of sending the whole unit..?
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Most equipment manufactures whose work belongs in the High End forum are fairly small operations, employing just a few people. Likewise, their consumer base is fairly small and a communication/service debacle like what you're describing is worth addressing so this exact situation doesn't happen.

I once had a Lavry Engineering micpre quit working while I was testing a signal chain and their service department answered my email by saying I needed to pay for two hours of "bench time" for them to even look at it. Of course I was thinking that was the last Lavry product I was ever going to buy. Turns out the real tech was on vacation and a fill in person was just telling me what he thought was the correct response. Dan Lavry contacted me, had me send the unit to his shop, fixed it, and returned it free of charge.

I know you spoke with Peter personally, but maybe some of this was just a customer service flub and they will find a way to make this up to you.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut

Yes maybe it was, and i've got nothing personnal against SH, but i sent these emails 6 months ago, i was patient. it's "annoying" to have an expensive unit like that sitting idle because it doesn't work. I could send the tiny pcb to texas, ut it would be cheaper to just clone it here, and i'm almost sure the problem comes from somewhere else now. i'll probably fix it, after dozens of hours of research, which could probably be shorten if customer service would at least give some clues or directions to go for the repair.

cheers
Old 20th February 2019
Here for the gear

I’m having the same exact issue with my unit. I will post videos in the near future as I’m currently trying to get the issue fixed for the third time. My email is [email protected] I will share emails with shadow Hills people as well.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Nandez View Post
I’m having the same exact issue with my unit. I will post videos in the near future as I’m currently trying to get the issue fixed for the third time. My email is [email protected] I will share emails with shadow Hills people as well.
Hello Jorge, sorry i didn't see your message. Do you have the exact same noise, on the optical stage , on one side ?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search