The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Rosetta 800 vs Mytek...
Old 27th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Apogee Rosetta 800 vs Mytek...

Hello all,

In light of my decision to step down from HD to a digi 002. I'm suddenly in the market for some converters. The rosetta 800 seems like an amazing deal (8ch A/D 8 ch D/A) for $2750. I've really been wanting to pickup a set of mytek converters for sometime though. How much of a difference is there between the Mytek 8x96 and those found in the Apogee Rosetta 800? If I buy the 8x96 (w/light pipe) I'm also going to have to shell out some more serious dough on D/A converters. (A DAC-1 or possibly another 8x96 D/A). Am I comparing flavors of caviar? or is the Mytek clearly the champ? I'd also be clocking my whole setup off of whichever high end converter I purchase. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 27th February 2004
Lives for gear

Allright fellas let`s make this a no Kittonian or Digigeek thread and see if we can give this fella a straight answer.
(No KevinC either )
Old 27th February 2004
Gear Maniac

The best thing to do is demo them if you can. Mytek have audio files on thier site, these are various recordings made with different convertors. Might be worth listening to those. Also consider the ad/da 16x due out soon. These are 16 channels of ad/da with a 'big ben inside'. According to a apogee guy I spoke too these boxes are 'better than the 800). (I'm only quoting).

In the end I'm sure you can make great records with both mytek & apogee, although I think people will of course have preferances.

Old 27th February 2004
Lives for gear

are you mixing ITB or going back out?

if the former, get the ad-16 ($2750) and the benchmark dac-1 ($850). compare that to the price of the rosetta 800 ($2750) and the big ben ($1350).
Old 27th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Zim,

I'll be mixing in the box some of the time, but I still need analog outputs to patch in my outboard compressors etc during mixdown. So the A/D is really sorta a must. Thanks for the responses thus far.

Jon
Old 28th February 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc
Allright fellas let`s make this a no Kittonian or Digigeek thread and see if we can give this fella a straight answer.
(No KevinC either )
You have got some nerve. At least my posts are based on real experiences and not some bull**** you heard spewed out over the web.

I have listened to the Myteks and the Rosetta 800...Have you? Have you ever done an objective blind listening test in your life? I am betting that you havent. Anyone who says some of the things you say and justifies it because so and so said this or because product A is more expensive than product B without ever hearing them side by side is just full of ****.

Yea, I like Apogees and so does the majority of the high end professional market doing real work, which lets face it, you aren't and neither are most of the people on these forums.

Don't you dare assume to tell me where and when I should or shouldn't post.
Old 28th February 2004
Gear Head

Kevin cracks me up. Keep on keepin on. Don't let anyone presume to tell you when and where to speak your mind. I am sick of all the politically correct blah blah blah.

PS - You have a friend in Jesus (and Satan) .
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

I have thoroughly compared stereo Mytek vs. stereo Rosetta. Mytek is a different league - more clear, deep, transparent, open. You can listen to many useful comparisons at Mytek website. I did not have an opportunity to try Rosetta 800 so far, but I would love to.
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

I lvoe love to hear peoples thoughts on this, as im pretty much sold on getting a stack of myteks in the near future. However the rosetta fits my budget more..

Thanx
Wiggy
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

had a rosetta 96 (stereo) that i sold to get a mytek 8x96. have to go ahead and say that they are incomparable to my ears. (although the rosetta did have some heavy-handed characteristics that were nice for more rockin kinda stuff) the word on the street is that the rosetta 800 is sonicly an improvement over the first generation stereo rosetta stuff. i'll just say that the mytek is very life-like and transparent to my ears. the obvious down-side to the mytek is that it will cost you around twice as much for a comparable capacity. the upside is that the internal clock in the mytek seems very very good to me and will eliminate the need for a good external clock, and you don't need break out cables to get your audio signals in and out of them.

.02 - season to taste.
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

I have the new Rosetta 800's and they are an improvement over the 8000. I also have a Big Ben and it really makes a difference. When I upgraded, my clients were blown away. BTW, there is an advantage to getting 800's with a Big Ben vs. the new AD16x and DA16x. The Big Ben includes vso (+/- 10 half steps) and also allows multiples of the master clock frequency (track at 48k and mix at 96k). I don't think those clock features are included in the AD/DA16x's.

Can't compare the Rosetta 800's to the Myteks, but the stereo Rosetta is a last generation product, Apogee's first inexpensive converter - probably not a fair comparison to the Myteks, especially since the Rosetta 800's are what you are interested in.

FWIW, Eddie Kramer uses a Big Ben. He was (and may still be) using Mytek converters a few years ago.

I suggest you make your own comparison - it's the only way you'll know. Buy from a dealer with a 30 day return policy.

Also, the Mini-DAC is wonderful; great sounding, love the usb connection. I want a second one for my stereo.

Best....H
Old 28th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by logichead
I have the new Rosetta 800's and they are an improvement over the 8000. I also have a Big Ben and it really makes a difference. When I upgraded, my clients were blown away. BTW, there is an advantage to getting 800's with a Big Ben vs. the new AD16x and DA16x. The Big Ben includes vso (+/- 10 half steps) and also allows multiples of the master clock frequency (track at 48k and mix at 96k). I don't think those clock features are included in the AD/DA16x's.

Best....H
Agree with ya regarding demo for yourself thing-best way really, but I thought the new ad/da16x were new boxes not just 800s with big ben clocking inside??. Well that's what an insider apogee guy said...apperently much more 'pricey' parts inside. (i quote)
peace

Old 28th February 2004
Quote:

Don't be a jerk

Quote:
At least my posts are based on real experiences and not some bull**** you heard spewed out over the web.

Just out of curiousity, was that a dig at me? Hope not.

---------------------

The AD & DA 16X units are indeed higher quality converters than the Rosetta 800 (however the Rosetta 800 is still a great box especially when coupled with Big Ben). The 16X units do have the Big Ben technology inside them (the C777 clock) but Big Ben offers more features which is why a lot of people are getting both the Big Ben and the 16X units (or at least getting on the pre-order list right now as they aren't yet shipping).

You cannot compare the Rosetta 800 to the original Rosetta. The original Rosetta was the lowest end box that Apogee made. The Rosetta 800 is their best sounding box that is shipping right now (and soon to be the second best sounding box when the AD & DA 16X units start shipping in April). There is no comparison between a Mytek converter and these new Apogee's.

Listen for yourself and make your own decisions. No one on a forum can tell "you" what sounds good, they can only offer advice and point you in the right direction. Turn the wheel and drive down Apogee St. I think you'll love the real estate there.
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Oh boy, here we go.....
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Boogle
Agree with ya regarding demo for yourself thing-best way really, but I thought the new ad/da16x were new boxes not just 800s with big ben clocking inside??. Well that's what an insider apogee guy said...apperently much more 'pricey' parts inside. (i quote)
peace

I haven't heard the new x's yet. Curious though...H
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiGeek
You have got some nerve. At least my posts are based on real experiences and not some bull**** you heard spewed out over the web.

I have listened to the Myteks and the Rosetta 800...Have you? Have you ever done an objective blind listening test in your life? I am betting that you havent. Anyone who says some of the things you say and justifies it because so and so said this or because product A is more expensive than product B without ever hearing them side by side is just full of ****.

Yea, I like Apogees and so does the majority of the high end professional market doing real work, which lets face it, you aren't and neither are most of the people on these forums.

Don't you dare assume to tell me where and when I should or shouldn't post.

Sorry Digi it was a bad joke.
No offense meant to you and post all you want.
For that matter Kittonian can obiously post all he wants also.

As a matter of fact I will be using a Mytek for my next project and plan on buying a Rosetta 800 with some of the money I make from that project so there you go. I like both.
The 800 is more reasonably priced for what you get which is why I`m getting it.

But the difference between me and you is that I`m not going to buy it and than claim it sounds better than everything out there that doubles and triples it`s price point.
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kittonian
[ There is no comparison between a Mytek converter and these new Apogee's.

[/B]
I thought these new Apogee´s were not released yet - so how can you know ?
Have you made a detailed direct comparison between Mytek vs. Rosetta 800 or Mytek vs. AD 16 X ?
Old 28th February 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kittonian

..... (or at least getting on the pre-order list right now as THEY AREN'T YET SHIPPING).

..... There is no comparison between a Mytek converter and these new Apogee's.
In the same reply, you say "they aren't yet shipping" and "there is no comparison between a Mytek and these new Apogees."

So.... if the Apogee's aren't shipping yet, you've somehow already heard them and compared to the Mytek 8x96?

Tell me, if you did hear them side by side A/B, was this a blind test, or blind faith in the Holy Word of the Apogee Sales Support Team that these are "the best converters in the world, bar none" (an embarrassing quote of the marketing campaign that greets you on the Apogee website)?

Fwiw, the pro audio dealer I buy from says the Apogee's are shipping now, and I bet you his price smokes your's. Not to mention he doesn't talk out the side of his mouth about anyone else's product, he lets people decide for themselves.

Sorry it had to turn out this way, but you've been nothing short of a salesweasel since showing you're mug at Gearslutz. That's why people are cynical about your comments... not sure if you've figured that out yet?
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
In the same reply, you say "they aren't yet shipping" and "there is no comparison between a Mytek and these new Apogees."
if they're not yet shipping, then there literally is no comparison
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

I have a Rosetta 800 96k. I cannot vouch for the quality of the Myteks, although I am sure they are stellar based on the reviews of everyone, present company included, who has used them.

The question really is, are they $2500 better then an 800? I think for some the answer is yes, but as we all know, the value of a dollar (or euro or pound) is in the eye of the beholder.

As for the 800, I will say this. It's at least as good as a Digi192, if not a cut above. It kicks the hell out of my old converters, whose name I shall not utter here.

It's funny. . . Having made a recent major gear upgrade, my taste for comparison threads has waned. It's become crystal clear to me that the real only way to understand what something sounds like is to get it in your grill and decide. While we all LOVE gear, it's also good to remember things like this... the best selling female album of all time was recorded (and converted) onto the old Blackface ADATs. YIKES!

Sometimes the problem IS the gear, but more often then not great music will shine through any limitations.

Tunes
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

That`s all very true. I tend to think if a big name engineer was using the same gear I was with the exception of crappier converters they would still come up with far superior resuts than I would.

Back when the AD8000 was Apogee`s best the Mytek was looking like it was a step up in quality at a lower price.
I remember at the time people were saying it was a good middle ground as far as price/performance was concerned.
Things that were a LOT better were a LOT higher priced.

The Rosetta 800 kind of seems like it`s at that level now even if it`s not as good as the Mytek.

I`m very anxious to hear what the AD16x sounds like also.

I think their "best converters in the world" claim is a little off center considering theres converters out there that cost $7000 for 2 channels of AD.

If they can beat their more immediate competition at a lower price though they`ve definately sold me.
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

I wonder what Michal (Mytek) has got going on in the lab @ mytek HQ? surely something worthy, cos the current 8x86 are a good few yrs old now.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 28th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
I wonder what Michal (Mytek) has got going on in the lab @ mytek HQ? surely something worthy, cos the current 8x86 are a good few yrs old now.

Cheers
Wiggy
http://www.mytekdigital.com/dmaster.htm
Old 28th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Is the stereo mytek adc the same quaility as the other myteks?
Their only $950.00
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

can someone give me a link to Mytek? i did a search but nothing came up..thanks
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Skip...

The stereo AD & DA are the same ones as used inthe more expensive 8x96 series.

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

I`ve been thinking a lot about this myself.(more than I would admit to a normal person at least)
What are Mytek and the other fellows in this range going to do when Apogee steps it up a notch or too.
For that matter I don`t know if Prism has added any kind of improvements in the last 5 years or so to their offerings.

Are these companies going to entice us with some huge new technological improvement and keep their hefty price or breakdown and start selling what they got for cheaper ?

Maybe they`ll do neither but it sure seems like Apogee`s making it more of a competition at the cheaper end of things.
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by effectsnut
can someone give me a link to Mytek? i did a search but nothing came up..thanks

www.mytekdigital.com
Old 29th February 2004
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc
...Are these companies going to entice us with some huge new technological improvement and keep their hefty price or breakdown and start selling what they got for cheaper ?...
Hard to say. Lavry DID just drop the price on their modular system. On the other hand we may be getting close to the point of diminishing returns. Outboard converters are a real slap in the face to audio gear manufacturers so that's where I'd look for most of the improvements to happen.
Old 29th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
Outboard converters are a real slap in the face to audio gear manufacturers so that's where I'd look for most of the improvements to happen.

By that do you mean the converters in modular hard disk recorders and digital mixers and stuff of that nature ?

That would be a good thing if they did take it up a notch (or 6) and more or less eliminate the need for outboard converters to begin with in those systems.
📝 Reply