Apogee Rosetta 800 vs Mytek...
Old 10th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by chap

I say'resolve'not win.
ghandi
Word.
I am on a mission to get a demo of the Big Ben now. I Just wonder what it will do for our motu's. Even though I'm open I'm not expecting major improvements with the lavrys ,could be wrong-but I'll let you guy's know.
Old 10th March 2004
Lives for gear

I didn`t mean you win like we were battling or something. I meant you`ve proven your point and I should give it a whirl and see if I`m wrong about it before knocking it to the extent I do.

No biggie.

I didn`t mean it too literally.
Old 10th March 2004
Lives for gear

Me either. We're Fonzy.
That's part of the problem with the printed word
in a discussion format. No context. I think it goes beyond gearslutz (which is the most informative, chilled out, testosterone free zone).
It's an internet issue. I'm sure someone must be getting a Phd. somewhere by doing a thesis on
internet chat rooms and BBs.

It's a great format that allows for debate, information and even friendships to form but it can lack context so we're never quite sure of someone's intent or implication or how the reader might infer something from the printed word.
Can you tell that Tuesday is the day I teach college?
I guess it's off to the cable spool table with the Chianti bottle candle holder and the bong.........
I'm going to figure out all the social implications of the entire internet........as soon as American Idol is over.
cheers,
chap

thanks, I knew there was no battle (damn, I think I'm getting paranoid, did you guys hear that?) I know it will wear off, I know it will wear off...........
Old 10th March 2004
Quote:
'try it, you might like it'. Unless you've heard it, it's hard to talk about it.
This should be the slogan for gearslutz this year.thumbsup

I think it should be a policy here that anybody preface an opinion on something they haven't tried by saying:

"First of all i have not tried, heard or used it, so take my opinion as you will".

I think it would stem a lot of the arguments that are going around here lately.

Old 10th March 2004
Lives for gear

Thrill I second this motion!!!!

But surely thrill u wont need to cos im sure u own or have heard everything under the sun!

Btw in the previous mention of your chain you mentiion that u got a MP for the vocal chain and for the stereo buss... so you have 2 MP?
If you could be bothered i would love to see a pic of your rack!
and hows that M4000 goin?

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 10th March 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Thrill I second this motion!!!!

But surely thrill u wont need to cos im sure u own or have heard everything under the sun!

Btw in the previous mention of your chain you mentiion that u got a MP for the vocal chain and for the stereo buss... so you have 2 MP?
If you could be bothered i would love to see a pic of your rack!
and hows that M4000 goin?

Cheers
Wiggy
Wigs,

I only have one, even though i wish i had 2.heh

You know i've been working on that.

Its really nothing fancy, a couple of comps and EQ's and a whole bunch of effect processors and knick knack table top pieces.
Old 10th March 2004
Lives for gear

I`d say ditto on that guys but that also counts for people who say they prefer digital summing but have never actually used a $100,000 mixing board with $50,000 of outboard with it.
That`s the one that gets to me but with your above mentioned disclaimer it would be a little easier to stomach.

That`s just the first one that comes to mind. Not trying to twist the subject into a summing war.
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

It's a war!!

Y'know,
I've worked on SSLs and Neve boards.
I sold all mixing boards awhile back and kept about 100k in outboard and bought the entire Dangerous system. Now, I have a room with my gear and about 70 or so guitars, mandos and lap steels and I can still go techno if I need to.
My mixes sound more transparent and I just remixed a major label album that the mastering house deemed too 'desky'. A great word.
I have to say it works for me but sometimes a nice, old board is great. I work about twice as fast without the board. Whatever works for you is the way to go.
summingly and lovingly yours,
chap
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

Damn that backfired.

That`s the point though Chap you`ve tried the alternatives.
I havent so I need to use the disclaimer.heh
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

Kevin,
You will try them all too. At my age, I've tried everything (except sheep).

best,
chap
Old 11th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Re: It's a war!!

Quote:
Y'know,
I've worked on SSLs and Neve boards.
I sold all mixing boards awhile back and kept about 100k in outboard and bought the entire Dangerous system. Now, I have a room with my gear and about 70 or so guitars, mandos and lap steels and I can still go techno if I need to.
My mixes sound more transparent and I just remixed a major label album that the mastering house deemed too 'desky'. A great word.
I have to say it works for me but sometimes a nice, old board is great. I work about twice as fast without the board. Whatever works for you is the way to go.
summingly and lovingly yours,
chap
To what degree does the Dangerous system make a difference?
Does it sound alot better or just a little better?

www.holomorphicmusic.com
Old 11th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Kevin,
You will try them all too. At my age, I've tried everything...
best,
chap
modesty will get you everywhere chap...

anyway how about letting us know more about the dangerous thing please. How many units, what DAW/multitrack DA's etc are you using.

You're setup seems kinda interesting as I am about to go buy a desk & loads of outboard, da's etc....
You can PM if you prefer.

Old 11th March 2004
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I think they are doing something with the waveform shape and phasing everything to the AC line. It could help some converters perform better. Meitner patented the AC thing a number of years ago and his patent may have expired recently.
Hi Bob,

For the record, we are doing nothing of the sort. Referencing everything to the AC would be a really bad idea considering how unstable it is. That's why the television industry dumped this concept in the 50's. :-)
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

yeah, what Max said.
I'll give you guys a Dangerous opinion after I'm out of this session. I think mt Apogees play a big part but the Dangerous stuff is awesome.
Back to PBS........
Old 3rd February 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

greetings... i'm a LITTLE late to the table here, but i'd like to hear how kevinc liked the Big Ben in his set up.

interesting to note that kittonian's site doesn't seem to exist any more....

first post, man....

cheers,
d
Lives for gear

Hey Digitalia.

I never got around to trying out a Big Ben because I just never thought it would add enough to my signal chain comapred to other things I needed to buy.

I added some Mytek converters and that was a good enough improvement for me to not really worry about going further.
Lives for gear

Hmmmm...

This is an old thread and I just read through it again.

Since I haven`t tried the Big Ben I`m not sure if I should be considered a ****** or not.

I probably am by default for not trying it. heh
Old 10th February 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

using Myteks

Thoughts from an advanced amateur:

We use Mytek 8x96 ADC/DAC and a custom tube console. They have allowed me to retire my Ampex MM. The one odd thing with their reputedly superior clock is that without redistributing it, you notice that only one unit has both WC in and out. I've heard ProTools with Big Ben and was not too impressed, but of course it was someone else's system - not really an objective comparison due to monitoring etc. I am surprised to even hear the MOTUs mentioned in relation to these units. In the Apogee vs. Mytek, MOTU seems irrelevant as a sonic competitor: edgy, shallow soundstaging etc.. In everyday use, my major gripe with the Mytek's was more with usability: the sound was gratifyingly musical once drivers for the card and issues with 'ware were worked out. I have not heard the new units or the competive Apogees, but there is no doubt that Apogee has consistently made hard-working pro gear. I found their older stuff somewhat brittle, if that is still even relevant, although it was bullet-proof in use. It may be a matter of taste...Shouldn't any potential buyer do their own shoot-out?
Old 10th February 2006 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG
We use Mytek 8x96 ADC/DAC and a custom tube console. They have allowed me to retire my Ampex MM.
Wow ... for recording my own music and a few friends per year we have the new Mytek 8x192 and an MM1200 and the tape is still the way to go. No "custom tube console" however ...

Have not heard the Apogee 16x series against the new Mytek but the 8x192 beats the Lavry Blue/Black by a real margin. Extended low end, cleaner mids.
Old 24th June 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

hello,

actually, I have an motu 828 and apogee rosetta 800 96k, my apogee is the master clock of my motu!

I am very happy with my apogee, very clean in every frequence!

I will buy an second apogee 800 with symphony system (I work with DP) for have 16 in and 16 out, and i have an folcrom so i want a mytek stereo 96 ADC behind the folcrom!

good idea?
📝 Reply