The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$4000. Monitors ? Studio Monitors
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear
$4000. Monitors ?

I’ve got $6,000 CAD, or roughly $4,000 USD to budget for a monitor upgrade. (Jumping from Alpha 80s)

I’m leaning toward the Focal Twin6 Be’s. Anyone have any feedback on them, or any alternative suggestions?
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Add more details to the story, maybe? Nobody can recommend a monitor based solely on a given budget.
Old 20th April 2018
I really like the Focal Twin, but they can be hit or miss in different rooms. I would suggest the Neumann KH-310 which are more transparent. Super separation and imaging. I really like working with both Focal and Neumann, so you can't go wrong. Speakers are certainly very personal, so its worth auditioning a few different boxes.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'll second Adam's remark about the 310's, though it'd be worth sitting in front of a pair if possible before signing the mortage paperwork - they're SOOOOOO clear and laser focused that it can be off-putting for some folks. They're one of few full-range sealed cabinet designs, and that really comes through in tightness of the low end.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Do audition the Barefoot Footprint01's. Just finished evaluating monitors in the $4K/pr (US) price range myself and bought the Footprints. Liked them way better than similarly priced Focals, Westlake, etc. Excellent soundstage, transient response, and detail. And whoa ..... the bass! Great bass extension. They're working well in my small (9x13 ft) mix room. They play way loud if you need that to impress clients too. Good luck with your search!
Old 22nd April 2018
Here for the gear

Check out the Harbeth SHL5 Plus, I just got some in the US, and they are considerably cheaper in Canada. BBC style monitor, isn't for everyone, so you'd definitely want to audition them, in your room. Astonishing clarity.
You'd still need a power amp, which might put you over your budget. I'm using a Mcintosh 2105, but would also look at Hypex based amps that everyone seems to be excited about.
Although there's a used pair on Canuck Audio Mart.
I've also heard great things about PSI. A friend just got some in Montreal. Studio Economik-Systemes Guinois seem to be the dealer.
Old 23rd April 2018
I personally hate Focals. Many love them. It’s personal!
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear
You will not get better for $4000 then the Hedd type 20. But that my opinion had the twins,rocks,before.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Nut
Trident HG3's
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Nut

Have a listen to EVE Audio SC307 best 3 way for the price.

But either the KH310 or the Footprint01 are ace monitors
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I personally hate Focals. It’s personal!
AMEN. Hate is such a strong word but in this case...yeah,a very uncomfortable sound when A/B'd alongside my 310' and One15's.
It's personal here as well!!
Old 30th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
AMEN. Hate is such a strong word but in this case...yeah,a very uncomfortable sound when A/B'd alongside my 310' and One15's.
It's personal here as well!!
I just find they flatter, smile curve-style, and the midrange is pulled out. Kind of the opposite of what I like! Genelec (which some people hate too) have the top and bottom (to a lesser extent) but still keep the midrange too.
Old 30th April 2018
To my ears, the PSI where the best.

Its all in what you ear and like

I got the chance to demo PSI against PMC two two series and focal solo 6b

PSI had that signature i was looking for. Super precise transient and consistency on all the spectrum
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfredoFernando View Post
To my ears, the PSI where the best.

Its all in what you ear and like

I got the chance to demo PSI against PMC two two series and focal solo 6b

PSI had that signature i was looking for. Super precise transient and consistency on all the spectrum
If you could share a bit more info I'd very much appreciate it: Which PSI's do you have? And how close to the speakers is your listening position. ...and, are you using a sub?

...Sorry to pepper you with questions. PSIs are on my short list.
Old 30th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I just find they flatter, smile curve-style, and the midrange is pulled out. Kind of the opposite of what I like! Genelec (which some people hate too) have the top and bottom (to a lesser extent) but still keep the midrange too.
Mid range pulled out of Twin-6BE? Im not sure I have ever heard this complaint before, and I have been selling them to people since 2007.
Old 30th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
If you could share a bit more info I'd very much appreciate it: Which PSI's do you have? And how close to the speakers is your listening position. ...and, are you using a sub?

...Sorry to pepper you with questions. PSIs are on my short list.
Psi a17-m in a small room (2.5 x 3.5 meter)

I listen to at about 4 feet from them.

My room is super well treated. With home made basstrap, panel on the walls and corner treated. Some people thaugh that i had a sub woofer...but no

PSI are realy precise. But you need to check your room cause their not forgiving.

I make electronic music, and you feel the transient (watch your ear) they go loud and remain bright and clear.

If you'r into classsic music, these baby realy shine.

Very versatil

Ps: i'm using a Lynx Hilo as a converter.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Maniac

To OP: really, just audition whatever model you choose in YOUR room. Don't spend 4000 bucks based on people's recommendations only!
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfredoFernando View Post
Psi a17-m in a small room (2.5 x 3.5 meter)

I listen to at about 4 feet from them.

My room is super well treated. With home made basstrap, panel on the walls and corner treated. Some people thaugh that i had a sub woofer...but no

PSI are realy precise. But you need to check your room cause their not forgiving.

I make electronic music, and you feel the transient (watch your ear) they go loud and remain bright and clear.

If you'r into classsic music, these baby realy shine.

Very versatil

Ps: i'm using a Lynx Hilo as a converter.
Thanks
Old 1st May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Mid range pulled out of Twin-6BE? Im not sure I have ever heard this complaint before, and I have been selling them to people since 2007.
Just my impression - maybe that’s not the case at all, it’s just I find the general focal family sound flattering and a little scooped.

I’ve never really been certain of where I am with them. I don’t love KRKs either for example, but I can cope. Focals - I’m guessing most of the time (and I’ve used them in multiple spaces, my former production room partner had a pair so I used them regularly for a couple of years).

I’m quite happy to agree it’s a personal thing - I’m not alone, but there’s most definitely a happier camp too!
Old 1st May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEnforcement View Post
I’ve got $6,000 CAD, or roughly $4,000 USD to budget for a monitor upgrade. (Jumping from Alpha 80s)

I’m leaning toward the Focal Twin6 Be’s. Anyone have any feedback on them, or any alternative suggestions?
I auditioned the Twin6 Be's before I bought my K+H (pre-Neumann) o300s which I kept for a number of years. I passed on the Focals because I didn't feel I could trust their tonality and the imaging was a little strange. The phantom centre was not well defined.

These days I would like to include the Avantone Pro Abbey in any comparison as well as the new JBL 708P which go for $5.6k CAD a pair, full list, and would probably eat the Twin 6s for breakfast and make them look seriously over-priced in the process, as I think they are.

I don't think beryllium tweeters are the be-all, but if you want beryllium, check out a used Yamaha NS-1000 with a beryllium tweeter and a beryllium 3" mid-dome. Can be had for around $1400 but need a good, muscular amp.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I'll to chime in since I managed to include my own opinions on these well regarded monitors. Just an example, I had tracked a timpani pitched to D and listened to my work on the Focal's and to my ears, there was something missing somewhere between 1.1k 1.7k and maybe up to 2k+.
Initially I thought I had somehow flubbed up grabbing the mallet's attack and let too much low end through, I don't remember precisely where I rolled off the bottom on that occasion, probably 16-28 hz range..key of D so my desired subs would have been at 18 and 35 ish. (Apologies for not recalling exactly but I did want to at least attempt an example you can consider or dismiss.)
I flipped back over to my 310's and the mallet' attack was more plainly obvious to me and the 73hz did not feel embellished. That incident kind of etched in my mind.fwiw
Could just be my ears but that was one instance in several that really convinced me to stick with my 310's and pass on the Focal Twin's.
Not to say they are anything less than what it says on the tin, just not for me.
I think they look fantastic and really wanted to dig them but ultimately I found I was happy keeping my Neumann's and eventually got a pair of the One15's , which I absolutely adore and would be comfortable recommending either monitor to anyone!
Ironically, the same engineer that inspired me to try out the Focal's like his own, is also the guy who called me up one evening and was emphatically telling to get the Amphions . I demo'd the One15's and never looked back.
I'm pretty sure my friend bought the Two18's and sold off his Focal's.
His mixes have become something ridiculously brilliant , which considering how great his mixes already were, I would not have thought that possible! I dare say he could mix on anything and come up gold.
I do know he did some really successful records on his Focals as well .
At the end of the day I think all these speakers are fantastic products, getting to know them to get your best out of them is just a process regardless of what speaker the OP might wind up with!
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear
Thanks for all the replies all.

Unfortunately I’m in a bit of an odd position, I live in a smaller city and our 2 shops don’t carry anything over a $1500. CAD pair of monitors andis definitely a special order, so I kinda have to rely on opinions and reviews.

Once I’m set on a pair, I’ll at least go out of town to a bigger shop and try them out.

There definitely doesn’t seem to be too much love for the Twins, but I see a lot of Love for the KH-310’s which are at the top of my budget.

I’m leaning towards these now, and am going to find a shop close by to check them out, I know it still won’t tell me what they’ll sound like in my room, but I can at least get a comparison against the Twins and JBL 708p which I was also looking at.

Thanks !!
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Sorry for my English, I also with PSI a17
I confirm what WilfredoFernando says
My room is more or less the same, well treated acoustically and topped with Sonarworks
Form an equilateral triangle with them at 1.10 meters away
And yes, they are implacable, they do not forgive, what sounds good is beautiful and what does not sound good is quite unpleasant, so all the failures are noticeable and can be tackled better, they reach 44 hz, so they are very complete to its size
In the low frequencies it is pressed with a good punch, clear and colorless means, the highs are beautiful, a lot of detail in the whole spectrum, at the beginning it can impress
I can not live without them anymore, they have changed my way of working
I do mix and mastering with them, without sub, the converters are Antelope Pure 2.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEnforcement View Post
Thanks for all the replies all.

Unfortunately I’m in a bit of an odd position, I live in a smaller city and our 2 shops don’t carry anything over a $1500. CAD pair of monitors andis definitely a special order, so I kinda have to rely on opinions and reviews.

Once I’m set on a pair, I’ll at least go out of town to a bigger shop and try them out.

There definitely doesn’t seem to be too much love for the Twins, but I see a lot of Love for the KH-310’s which are at the top of my budget.

I’m leaning towards these now, and am going to find a shop close by to check them out, I know it still won’t tell me what they’ll sound like in my room, but I can at least get a comparison against the Twins and JBL 708p which I was also looking at.

Thanks !!
It may be possible for you to contact your closest dealer and arrange demo's in your studio of whichever boxes you want to try. You'll most likely need to pay any return shipping costs, (but maybe not). I really think it's worth a few hundred bucks in postage to try them in your environment, in store demo's IMO, are skewed from the start, even in the best of treated showrooms. If an area dealer isn't willing to send you demo's I would be inclined to shop/spend elsewhere.
My Amphion demo's were sent to me with no postage due,only the return postage, except I kept em!
The 310's are fantastic for sure, I'm not a fan of any ported speaker at all so those and the Amphions really work out well for me. I would venture to say even buying 310's on the used market would be worth looking into if you can save 500-700 bucks.
Happy hunting and I hope you find something that is a great fit for you and your room.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Nut

If you have the possibility to try out the eve sc307 I strongly advise you to do so, I try them with lots of other monitors including Neumann Adam Dynaudio and I find them amazing for under the 2000euros budget, they have a very smooth sound, ideal monitors for producing and writing, a joy to listen to, the kh310 are more clinical, quite natural but on the cold side, but top monitors, in Europe they cost almost double the sc307, and the Eve give the KH a good run for the money...
An other monitor to consider would be the Avantone Abbey, seems a great monitor, but not too many reviews out there.
Now if your budget isn't an issue and you can splash the 4000$ without pain, than I'd go for a closed cabinet design either Barefoot FP01 or the KH310.
I think with the barefoot you get a bit more beef tbh. Never used them so I can't tell how they differ from the KH here in europe are hard to come across.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
An other monitor to consider would be the Avantone Abbey, seems a great monitor, but not too many reviews out there.
I've had these for a few months now and am really digging them. Could save yourself some money by trying them out in your room. Midrange is neutral and not hyped.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
I've had these for a few months now and am really digging them. Could save yourself some money by trying them out in your room. Midrange is neutral and not hyped.
Hi Black Seal could you elaborate on your experience with the avantone abbey, I am really curious about these monitors
How they work with heavy bass material?
Stereo image? 3D staging? What about front port farting?
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Hi Black Seal could you elaborate on your experience with the avantone abbey, I am really curious about these monitors
How they work with heavy bass material?
Stereo image? 3D staging? What about front port farting?
I would say they work well with bass heavy material. In my room, they start to "bloom" around 100 hz'ish if I have a little too much going on down there. They have a lot of punch down low. I have a pair of KEF's that image better, but that's a coincident driver set up. Imaging is good with a natural soundstage, not exaggerated. Transient response is great so I can make compression decisions easier. 3D, they can sound that way if the material can deliver, but not on their own. They are honest. Port farting, I haven't pushed them too far yet. But in my heavily dampened 12x12 room they jam pretty good without making any port chuffing

If you only have 2 ways, run not walk toward a pair of 3 ways.
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

708p is the bomb. But if $4k is your budget, another option would be the 705p with 6312 sub. It really depends on your room. I have the 6312 with the 708s and the system slays. But I often wonder if the 8inch are pointless when I am using a sub with them. Maybe the 5s would suffice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search