The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clocking the Qes Pad 2 Need a bit of help again.
Old 19th April 2018
Clocking the Qes Pad 2 Need a bit of help again.

Hello all more stuff to clock. This is what I have.Lynx Aes 16,Qes pad 2 AD, Mytek Brooklyn+, Mytek x8 grey face, Mytek x8 Blue face.

I have had problems before using the Pad 2 as a master clock. Pops and clocks after recording even that the aes 16 said all is locked.

I have talked to Qes and the told me that if I am clocking the Qes to a Lynx Aes it has to be terminated. I prob need to terminate the clock. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
is the WC input of the LYNX AES in 75 ohm?
Old 19th April 2018
Not Sure
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Connect a 75 ohm bnc-t connector to the lynx, put a 75 ohm terminator on one end of the T and connect the other to the QES Pad via 75 ohm coax bnc cable. Make sure everything is 75 ohm — 50 ohm T connectors and terminators can look exactly the same.

All Wordclock inputs/outputs are 75 ohm. There is no secondary standard.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
Fred Forssell says

You need to terminate the receiving end of the BNC cable with 75 ohm so that high frequency reflections within the cable and entire WC transmission chain are eliminated. This results in the best square wave response shape. If you do not do this, the square wave shape will show various amounts of overshoot and ringing, which can cause the square wave to deviate from its ideal shape. This can easily be seen by viewing a WC signal on an oscilloscope with and without the 75 ohm termination attached.

Please note that the 75 ohm termination only goes at the very end of a BNC daisy-chain (linked from unit to unit using BNC T connectors) and is only needed if the input at the end of the BNC has high input impedance (which is the case for all of our converters - Forssell -
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Connect a 75 ohm bnc-t connector to the lynx, put a 75 ohm terminator on one end of the T and connect the other to the QES Pad via 75 ohm coax bnc cable. Make sure everything is 75 ohm — 50 ohm T connectors and terminators can look exactly the same.

All Wordclock inputs/outputs are 75 ohm. There is no secondary standard.
Not all wordclocks are 75 ohm. Some are 50.

Example: MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - REF 10

You should undoubtedly use correct cables and compatible gear. Avoid combining 50 ohm connector with 75 ohm cable, and vice versa.
Old 21st April 2018
Thanks for the advice everybody. I tried connecting the Qes into the lynx wordclock in using a t connector and the other end terminated. Seemed ok but then I again was doing a mixdown using my mytek x8 as the da summing and the recorded track had pops. I also switched up dip switch 8 to activate the termination on the mytek x8. Have no idea what it is. So I am using the Brooklyn+ Dac clock into the lynx and the lynx out back into the Qes not happy that the aes is getting the second generation clock. And my mytek x8 getting the clock from Aes in. If anybody has a better way let me know thanks.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

You have too many devices to not use a clock distributor. Master clock sends into distributor and distributor sends clock to everything else.

Do not over-terminate. There should be only one termination at the end of every chain from the distributor. All other termination should not be engaged.
Old 22nd April 2018
Everything is locked until i Add the Mytek x8 and this happends. I know that it is just the Mytek that i am getting pops and clicks after recording. It Goes to 22.0 And it should be 44.1
Attached Thumbnails
Clocking the Qes Pad 2 Need a bit of help again.-screen-shot-2018-04-22-2.26.33-am.jpg  
Old 22nd April 2018
What is a good Clock distributer? That is not expensive the Qes Pad 2 Made me Broke hahaha
Old 22nd April 2018
Also i would like to use the Pad 2 clock.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Clock distributors are in essence just amplifiers.

They need to amplify the clock signal so it is detected by the receiving device when it is split to multiple outputs. Now there are clock distributors that can do a lot of other features (act as master clock, reclock, change clock formats, etc.) but all you need is a clock distributor. A basic quality one has no bearing on overall clocking as long as it gets the job done. The master clock (the signal sent to the distributor) is still the quality limiting factor.

Did a quick search and the first one is a very good distributor (though might be overkill for your needs)
Rosendahl Nanoclocks Word Clock Distributor | eBay
Here's another one
Drawmer D-Clock audio word clock synchronizer | eBay

Remember you want to run in parallel from the distributor: master clock into distributor then straight runs from the outputs of the distributor to each device. You don't want to mix them up (don't do some devices linked in a clocking chain and some not.) It'll still work but if you are being pedantic you don't want to do that. And if being really detail oriented, all the bnc coax cables from the distributor will be the same length and same cabling.

Some standard brands (still made or yesteryear): Lucid, Aardvark (a bit of pre-cursor to Antelope Audio), Rosendahl, Mutec, Brainstorm Electronics.

Many make master clocks, word clock distributors, and master clocks with distributors. If you find a good price on a master clock with distributor, when you are using the distributing function you are bypassing the master clock (for most unless you are using it to re-clock or format change, etc.) So if it is a good price, grab it.
Old 22nd April 2018
Thank you I will look into it I only have to clock 3 units it seems the Mytek x8 might be giving me the problems Do not know.
Old 22nd April 2018
The clock distributor seems like a good idea but do not think it will solve the problem it might do not know.
Old 22nd April 2018
Never had the problem clocking the latte to my system or Brooklyn adc. But the Qes 2 pad is not locking well.
Old 22nd April 2018
Gear Nut

I just made some measurements in my new Room, and use qes pad to Clock both Burl MS80 DAC (WC) and Genelec 8260a (AES) . Both sounds fantastic and superclear, and even though the second AES go to my RME, I still have a second WC left for my SSL SX (for 8ch AES i/o at 96kHz)
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Using the QES PAD-2 to clock a Symphony. Never a problem. Check why the Mytek drops down to 22.0kHz, while the rest is correctly locked.
Old 23rd April 2018
Clocks to the Brooklyn fine. Also when I use the Brooklyn as master it's fine too. The mytek x8 is going wacko and I have to clock two of them.
Old 26th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
Not all wordclocks are 75 ohm. Some are 50.

Example: MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - REF 10

You should undoubtedly use correct cables and compatible gear. Avoid combining 50 ohm connector with 75 ohm cable, and vice versa.
Word Clock is most definitely defined for 75 Ohm! The MUTEC REF 10 is a strict 10 MHz generator, not a Word Clock generator. It has both 50 and 75 Ohm outputs because there is no standard for 10 MHz signals and you'll find both impedances in the 10 MHz clock market (mostly HiFi consumer audio).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search