The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
La4a Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

La4a

How much do you use it?

What do you like about it compared to other compressors in its price range?

Seriously interested.

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2018
Sterile and boring. No mojo didn't like it when i had one.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Addict

Hmmm... I didn't find it that way. Before I had it modded, I thought it added a little dirt or harmonic distortion that I found lovely on guitars. I had it modded by Alactronics based on some of the comments that you'll find in different threads here. I confess I haven't been using it much since I got it back since mixing in the box is so much easier. And if I want to track outboard, I usually reach for the Distressor first.

What are you interested in using it on?

Peter
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear

I've got two of them. Not for everybody. They can give you some nice, smooth compression, but you have to learn its limitations.

On the low ratios, it's pretty gentle, can be good for vocals and acoustic instruments. The slow-as-nuts attack helps out a lot. On the high ratios, it can do the slappy LA-3A thing if you get it set up just right. And they don't really add an appreciable amount of "color" on their own. They're going for around $500 each, putting it somewhere between a 160A and a WA76. They've all got their pros and cons... I'd buy another LA-4 before I'd get another WA76, but I'd gladly get more 160s first. (I'm also a noted nonbeliever in 1176s on the whole so YMMV)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search