The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Have you used a Raindirk console? Plugin Bundles
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Have you used a Raindirk console?

Almost unknown here in the USA.

I have a racked pair of input modules that came out of one of the 70's Olympic desks and I love them dearly.

Any Series III and up users here?
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
Almost unknown here in the USA.

I have a racked pair of input modules that came out of one of the 70's Olympic desks and I love them dearly.

Any Series III and up users here?
I’m not a Raindirk user, but I’m curious to hear more about what you think about the modules tone wise. I have long made a mental footnote about Raindirk, since Jeff Lynne has used one for a long time. Do you have EQs attached as well?

Anyway, cool, and sorry to just respond with a question and no answers.
Old 17th April 2018
GS member Karloff had one.
I think. Maybe PM him if he doesn't see this?

Helios lineage...nice.

Congrats on your input channels!
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I think a lot depends on which one you have, from which era. I have a Series III, which is unbalanced internally and is surprisingly transformer-less.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I had a raindirk symphony... loved it.

Very musical and great sounding.

Wiggy
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

I've got a Raindirk RM8. Rare as hens teeth! 16 channels of the nicest pres and eq in an exceptionally compact package

It's amazing. Such sweet and clear pre amps and the eq is totally transparent. Never harsh or intrusive - it just gives you what you dial in.

Summing and mixing on it is a joy!
Old 3rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
Terry it took a while, but you finally got them racked and working ? BTW yours are MK 2 modules with the alternate mid range marked in orange.

I've used a Symphony, Concord , and have two series 3 ( MK2) and six series 4 modules. ( Pictured)

Symphony sounds as described above ( RM8) , the Concord was more colored in a good way.

The series 4 were broadcast mixers and have Sowter mic & line xformers and switchable rather than swept EQ.

Both series modules do " '70s London in a box" , though I prefer the series 4 on drums and the series 3 get a lot of guitar action.

Cyril has always had a very good handle on musical sounding mid filter and gyrator design, I guess being around Dick Swettenham & Geoff Frost was a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you used a Raindirk console?-img_7550.jpg   Have you used a Raindirk console?-r-rack2.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Too bad Cyril never got his Helios reissues to market. I’ve heard his custom wound transformers were spot on Lustraphone clones.

Wiggy
Old 3rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Cyril put a lot of work into those including pulling two original Helios /Lustraphones apart , custom bobbin manufacture , winding and extensive testing against originals.

He sold the prototypes on ebay when he closed his workshop and moved .
Attached Thumbnails
Have you used a Raindirk console?-cyril-lustraphone23.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2018
Gear Addict

I've had 2 Helios 69 modules, the newer with Cyril's transformers. I could not compare with the original Lustraphone's but it sounded amazing. I kind of regret that I sold them.
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Used them, just made them. Cyril

Just as busy as ever. pleased with all your feedback. Lustraphone transformers selling very well and replacing some modern types used in he Tony Arnold helios remakes. Carrying out some bespoke design right now but back to Helios and Raindirk rack products soon. [email protected]
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Just completed the supply of my Lustraphone transformers replace all 38 Sowters in the Heliocentric console. Also and bunch to Uk and US clients. Cyril
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Cyril,

Will you be reissuing your Helios modules again?

Thinks there’s been a gap in the market here in recent times due to Tony’s poor health before his sad eventual passing.

Wiggy
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search