The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unfairchild or Mercury 66 for vocals Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd April 2018
  #31
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaut View Post
The M97 has about 17 dB of gain, so you can compress all you want and still be ahead in terms of level, if that's what you want.
Thanks. Who makes the M97?
Old 23rd April 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
Electronaut



Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
Thanks. Who makes the M97?
Old 23rd April 2018
  #33
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
Thanks. Who makes the M97?
Some weird guy in Chicago.

BTW I hope no one's put off by my chiming-in. I'm not trying to self-promote, just adding relevant information to the post since I was mentioned.
Old 24th April 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
andersmv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronaut View Post
Some weird guy in Chicago.

BTW I hope no one's put off by my chiming-in. I'm not trying to self-promote, just adding relevant information to the post since I was mentioned.
Holy crap, can I come hang out? I'm weird too!
Old 25th April 2018
  #35
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
after using this friggin beast for a bit now I gotta say the Unfairchild has become my favorite stereo mix buss compressor.imo best instant better record box..ever.
compared it to a bunch of the usual suspects..smart,shadow,obsidian.384 etc
Old 25th April 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Fidelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
after using this friggin beast for a bit now I gotta say the Unfairchild has become my favorite stereo mix buss compressor.imo best instant better record box..ever.
compared it to a bunch of the usual suspects..smart,shadow,obsidian.384 etc
For any kind of music? Isn't it slow for some genres as the original is? Do you use it as a combination along with a VCA compressor (smart, shadow...)?
Old 25th April 2018
  #37
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
For any kind of music? Isn't it slow for some genres as the original is? Do you use it as a combination along with a VCA compressor (smart, shadow...)?
Yes so far everything.
I don’t do speed metal lol
With all the extra attack and release dc threshold,link controls etc the unit is 10 times more flexible than any 670.
The feed forward mode is like a tube vca ssl.Super fast and aggressive.cool for certain things esp drum buss.
I was experimenting with an Obsidian and then neve 32264’s before/after.didnt need it.
Old 25th April 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
I must concur, UnFairchild = beast! I'm glad I sprung for it.
Old 25th April 2018
  #39
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
I must concur, UnFairchild = beast! I'm glad I sprung for it.
me too.
sold my shadow hills.
don’t miss it.
Old 25th April 2018
  #40
Here for the gear
So are you using more for mixbus or have you been also tracking with it as well? You said it sounded awesome on vocals, does it give you the Fairchild flavor
That you had with your 670? Never used a real 670 or a 660. But have. Lots of experience with the plugs and emulations like Anamod. Would like the real fairchild sound from tubes....and the character that occurs when they are pushed.
Old 25th April 2018
  #41
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
So are you using more for mixbus or have you been also tracking with it as well? You said it sounded awesome on vocals, does it give you the Fairchild flavor
That you had with your 670? Never used a real 670 or a 660. But have. Lots of experience with the plugs and emulations like Anamod. Would like the real fairchild sound from tubes....and the character that occurs when they are pushed.
Tracking/mixing.sounds great on everything I’ve thrown at it so far.
The way it handles low end on mix buss is stunning.
sorry the plug ins (puigchild/UAD) aren’t even close.
had the Anamod 500 660 years ago.
never had the opportunity to hear them in stereo.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 25th April 2018 at 06:48 PM..
Old 26th April 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
The UTA is sounding very enticing now. LOL. Damn you, Hunter.
Old 26th April 2018
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
The UTA is sounding very enticing now. LOL. Damn you, Hunter.
Sir GAS rides again!

I am sure it’s sitting in the ‘one day bucket’ alongside many other people not just me.
Old 27th April 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Sir GAS rides again!

I am sure it’s sitting in the ‘one day bucket’ alongside many other people not just me.
You said it. I really need to stop reading threads about this thing.
Old 1st June 2018
  #45
hey perry,

i don't know if you're still looking for opinions on the merucy and unfairchild, but i recently got a pair of the mercury's and have an unfairchild. i can't say i know what a real fairchild sounds like, but both of the units are incredible on both the bus and for tracking. i would say that the mercury might be a bit thicker (more distortion?) than the unfairchild, but not by much. they both make everything sound bigger and more euphonic to my ears. i love both of them. sold an original LA2A to get the pair of mercurys and don't miss it a bit.

i'll probably use the unfairchild on the 2 bus and the mercury's for tracking.

hope that helps.
Old 1st June 2018
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemin View Post
hey perry,

i don't know if you're still looking for opinions on the merucy and unfairchild, but i recently got a pair of the mercury's and have an unfairchild. i can't say i know what a real fairchild sounds like, but both of the units are incredible on both the bus and for tracking. i would say that the mercury might be a bit thicker (more distortion?) than the unfairchild, but not by much. they both make everything sound bigger and more euphonic to my ears. i love both of them. sold an original LA2A to get the pair of mercurys and don't miss it a bit.

i'll probably use the unfairchild on the 2 bus and the mercury's for tracking.

hope that helps.
My exact feelings when comparing the Mercury's to Pom's Fairchild Mkii.
Old 4th June 2018
  #47
Gear Maniac
I have not tried the Mercury but I have an UnFairchild here and it is my first stop now when tracking vocals.

I've had many of the other classics, 1176, LA2A, BA6A, 175B, Retro 176, StaLevel, etc. They're all great sometimes but I have yet to track a vocal that the UnFairchild didn't work wonderfully on. It's always good. It's flavor on vocals is always welcome. I've used it from classical to hard rock.

There's only one other unit I've liked as much or more on occasion which is the Atomic Squeezebox. Mine is a little noisy at the moment so I don't track as much with it right now, but it is amazing on vocals. ...and other things. ...like the UnFairchild.
Old 14th June 2018
  #48
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemin View Post
hey perry,

i don't know if you're still looking for opinions on the merucy and unfairchild, but i recently got a pair of the mercury's and have an unfairchild. i can't say i know what a real fairchild sounds like, but both of the units are incredible on both the bus and for tracking. i would say that the mercury might be a bit thicker (more distortion?) than the unfairchild, but not by much. they both make everything sound bigger and more euphonic to my ears. i love both of them. sold an original LA2A to get the pair of mercurys and don't miss it a bit.

i'll probably use the unfairchild on the 2 bus and the mercury's for tracking.

hope that helps.
Thank you . Your response is very helpful. I have been leaning towards the Unfairchild. I think it would be overall more useful.
Old 14th June 2018
  #49
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
I have not tried the Mercury but I have an UnFairchild here and it is my first stop now when tracking vocals.

I've had many of the other classics, 1176, LA2A, BA6A, 175B, Retro 176, StaLevel, etc. They're all great sometimes but I have yet to track a vocal that the UnFairchild didn't work wonderfully on. It's always good. It's flavor on vocals is always welcome. I've used it from classical to hard rock.

There's only one other unit I've liked as much or more on occasion which is the Atomic Squeezebox. Mine is a little noisy at the moment so I don't track as much with it right now, but it is amazing on vocals. ...and other things. ...like the UnFairchild.
Really helpful response . I was also considering the Retro 176, but the Unfairchild seems like the most versatile and useful for my needs. Thank you for your response!
Old 14th June 2018
  #50
I would also consider the Electronaut M97.

Holy Grail of Limiting, designed by a true genius of audio, Rob Roy Mackinnon Campbell
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump