The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me Pick My 1st 500 Mic Pre 4 Vocals
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Help Me Pick My 1st 500 Mic Pre 4 Vocals

I am in search of my first 500 series mic pre to go with my Rupert Neve
Lunch Box HELP Please?

My Mic is a Upton 251 ELAM Tube Mic

Any Suggestions Are Much Appreciated ..
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
Lunch Box HELP Please?

we need a budget...
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Budget $1000

$1000. Budget ..
Old 10th April 2018
2264JR | Heritage Audio
I have one ^ love it..

heres a link to a bunch of others that are awesome, a lot of folks around here recommend the MA5 ..just scroll down

500 Series Mic Pres - Vintage King Pro Audio Outfitter
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Atlas Pro Audio Juggernaut
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubercraft View Post
Lunch Box HELP Please?

I'm a big fan of the Avedis MA5.. stellar high end piece (and sounds) for a very reasonable price. This is below your budget.

Might even get a used one and save some more money safely since they basically never fail, and in case some output knobs are pulled too hard Avedis service is second to none.

I'd also look into a BAE1066DL or a 1073D or a 1023L. (Although the 1066DL, which is the less expensive of the bunch runs for 2k, but you get a fantastic sounding eq and hpf with it).

If you want a "cleaner" option I'd look into the Forssell SMP500.

Those are probably your best bet in the 500 series to get a stellar preamp.

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 10th April 2018
+1 for MA5

Amazing piece
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm in the same boat shopping for my first 500-series mic pre to fill out a rack. I'm looking hard at the Avedis MA5, Great River MP500NV, and AML EZ1073. The AML is an obvious Neve clone, and the other two could be considered roughly in that ballpark but also doing their own thing.

Also can't go wrong with simply a Neve 1073LB which is in your budget right around $1,000. However for the same price... the AML EZ1073 includes the preamp plus the eq. Whereas the matching Neve eq (the Neve 1073LBEQ) adds another $1,300.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

The Maag is worth a look.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict
Capi Heider
Old 15th April 2018
Deleted User
What kind of music are you singing?

Death metal? Jazz? Opera?
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear
If you haven't already decided, take a look at the RND Portico 511 to match your lunchbox. I have three and they're a wonderful first choice for matching up with any mic. HP up to 250, their "Silk" (harmonics) circuit, and enough headroom for most things. If I could only pick one pre, it would be the Portico series.

Edit: They're also super punchy. I have a few metal engineers renting the place that LOVE them on drums and keep asking me to get more!
Old 24th April 2018
Noa
Gear Addict

CAPI Heider or AML ez1073

They just sound the best after going through many...
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

If you don't mind me asking, what have you gone through?
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
CAPI Heider or AML ez1073

They just sound the best after going through many...
If you don't mind me asking, which preamp did you go through to get to those two?
Old 24th April 2018
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which preamp did you go through to get to those two?
On the Neve side, I went through the Heritage, Neve, MA5, and Aurora GTQC (19” rack). The AML just seemed a bit more detailed and euphoric for me. It didn’t get muddy in the low mids like the other pres.

On the API side, I went through VP28 (still a great pre), 512c, Electrodyne 501 (my second favorite w/ a great DI), and a Juggernaut. The Heider also seemed more euphoric and detailed. And I got more sounds out of it when gain staging. So much fun.

Keep in mind that I use these mainly on vocals, but also acoustic guitars, basses, and pianos.

One preamp that is a great addition to these for coloring stereo material (keys, drum machines, mix buss) is the Louder than Liftoff “Silver Bullet”.

Amazing
Old 24th April 2018
LaChapell or Juggernaut
Old 25th April 2018
Deleted User
I just got a Portico 5017 in the studio and holy crap on vocals.

I sing hard and was running through my exercises: nin, tool, Janes Addiction, living colour, alice in chains ... and I just can’t believe it.

I’ve never had so much fun.

This unit SMOKES!!!

Based on what I'm hearing, the 517 might be a good choice. I have a pair of 73jr, 1073lb, API 312 and I prefer the 5017 on my voice. Maybe it's the compressor interacting with it. Whatever it is, it has such a solidity and presence. It's intimate yet also colorful. It's really an amazing sound. Also, I think you have to hear in context.

Last edited by Deleted User; 26th April 2018 at 02:25 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search