The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube recommendations for warmer Manley Ref C?
Old 30th July 2020
I just changed my Telefunken tube I got off Bowie for a Nos Mullard vintage at7 tube and man... I think I prefer the Mullard! Such a big change though! The Telefunken has more of an extended air too end but much much more sibilant than the Mullard! The Mullard is smooth throughout the spectrum and has more meat in the lower mids. I did not expect such a big difference. The sibilance is totally gone now! And the mic takes eq very very well now! Incredible how different tubes sound and change the tone of a mic!
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I just changed my Telefunken tube I got off Bowie for a Nos Mullard vintage at7 tube and man... I think I prefer the Mullard! Such a big change though! The Telefunken has more of an extended air too end but much much more sibilant than the Mullard! The Mullard is smooth throughout the spectrum and has more meat in the lower mids. I did not expect such a big difference. The sibilance is totally gone now! And the mic takes eq very very well now! Incredible how different tubes sound and change the tone of a mic!
On paper the Mullard seems like a tube I’d like but I went with the tele. Would you say it’s dark? I could see how it would take eq better though. How are the mids?
Old 31st July 2020
Is some gentle and judicious use of eq on it's own an option when needed?
It may not be "purist" but have you considered or tried it?
Pultec etc...
Old 1st August 2020
A tube isn’t going to fundamentally change a mic. It’s a band aid on a bullet wound. If you don’t like a mics voicing change the mic.
Old 3rd August 2020
What’s the diff between the Telefunken 12at7 and the tele ax7? I have the tele ax7, would the tele at7 make a difference, besides having the level difference?
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac
I had this too with my Tele from Bowie. First time I tried it it sounded really like the stock tube. So I changed it to a different tube. After a week I tried the tele again. Weird enough it sounded really open and different then before. I’ll be keeping it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
So today I changed the tube on my Manley. I had a NOS 12AX7 Telefunken tube on it, and while it sounded really smooth, I felt that the mic lost alot of its transparency. I also noticed how hot of an output the mic had.

Somewhere I read that 12AT7 tubes had a lower output and wanted to test one to see what it did, just for the heck of it.
I didnt want to buy an expensive tube as it was just for testing purposes.
I bought a cheap reissue Mullard 12AT7 (These are new tubes made in Russia, supposedly they sound nothing like old Mullards)

Put the tube in and waited about 5 hours and recorded a few takes. WOW to my huge surprise the transparency of the mic is sooooooo much better now, while it sounds just a tad brighter now, comparing it to takes with the old tube, the mic almost sounded muddy with the Tele in comparison with this new one. How can this be? this is just a cheap $30 tube

Maybe I had a bad Tele, most likely not as noise was good, no pops or anything just had too much color for some reason. Im going to keep burning the new tube in for a few days and see how it changes, but now I want to buy two more of these as spare. You really never know what surprises you will get testing gear
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Do you have perhaps some sound files of the mullard and tele? Would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW Mines sounding great with a Mullard (thx to Bowie for his sterling service!).
📝 Reply