The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you identify this cable's brand?
Old 3rd April 2018
Can you identify this cable's brand?

Hello Fellow 'Slutz,

Can you identify this AES3 cable's brand:
Attached Thumbnails
Can you identify this cable's brand?-img_1580.jpg  

Last edited by Timothy Powell; 3rd April 2018 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3rd April 2018
Van Damme make a green AES cable, but it doesn't look like one of their terminations, and their name is written on their cables.

So......perhaps not much help?
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Brand? Given the fact you have connectors from two different manufacturers on each end, its likely a custom build for a specific sound card/interface. The sound card manufacturer either buys the components and builds them for the cards or they hire a contractor to make them for their units.

The XLR connectors are Neutrik and the other end looks to be a standard generic made in china 25 pin parallel port connector, or possibly a 48 like I use on my M-Audio cards. (Cant' count the number of pins in the pic).

The cable is simply a multi core snake cable which you can buy too. Unless you see the outer insulation stamped with the manufacturers name its likely made in China too. Only thing special added is a choke added to the computer end and held in place with heat shrink.

Like I said this breakout Dongle was special made for a specific sound card. If you know the gear manufacturer it's something you'd have to buy from them. (probably charge and arm and a leg too) Its "not" something you'd buy on the open market unless you just happen to come across a used on EBay.

I have similar dongles for my M-Audio cards. I actually made one when I bought one of their 1010 cards. M-Audio was backordered on them for 6 months so I got the schematic from their site and just made one. It was a pain in the butt soldering but it worked. You simply need to know the pin configuration of the multi pin cable and plan things out well. The rest is simply being able to solder and heat shrink things well.
Old 3rd April 2018
Thanks so far!

The green multicore is Van Damme. But there are no labels for the folks who wired it up. It's certainly a pro cable. I'd love to get one more to match.

Yes, I'm that anal.

Remember, you can't spell analog without "anal" or "log"...
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

As long as it’s the correct D-Sub and 110 ohm will it truly matter? There’s hundreds of brands and maybe now 8 makers?
Inc Neutrik or Neutrik Ningbo essentially the same deal? Good luck!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
Thanks so far!

The green multicore is Van Damme. But there are no labels for the folks who wired it up. It's certainly a pro cable. I'd love to get one more to match.

Yes, I'm that anal.

Remember, you can't spell analog without "anal" or "log"...
Good grief! Well you can spell analog minus Assh*le not that I’m suggesting that? Still I understand you refuse to wear a horizontal striped top with striped vertical trousers that’s just not going to happen!

Cool!
I agree!
Old 4th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Good grief! Well you can spell analog minus Assh*le not that I’m suggesting that? Still I understand you refuse to wear a horizontal striped top with striped vertical trousers that’s just not going to happen!

Cool!
I agree!
I do wear the same clothes every day, just like Steve Jobs. 9 pairs of pants, 9 shirts - all the same. I'd rather save my diminishing brain power on what mic/preamp to use on the lead vocal.
Old 5th April 2018
Here for the gear
Proleads in the UK are making snakes with Van Damme cable.
Old 5th April 2018
is that a ferrite core on the DSUB end?
Old 5th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
is that a ferrite core on the DSUB end?
Yes.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search