The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hafler P3100 - New (Old) 150W Power Amp
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Head

Hafler P3100 - New (Old) 150W Power Amp

Hello,

one new piece of gear I stumpled on at Vintageking is the new Hafler P3100 power amp

Quote:
Patented Trans•Nova™ technology with lateral MOSFET output topology
150 watts per channel into 8 Ohms (200 w/channel in 4 Ohms)
Ultra quiet performance with toroidal transformer and oversized heatsinks
Ideally suited for audiophile and professional studio recording

Lateral MOSFETs were designed specifically for linear audio amplification with their high speed and superior sonic characteristics compared to the vertical MOSFETs or bipolar output transistors used by many other amplifier makers. Inside the P3100 is the latest refinement of the Trans•Nova (TRANSconductance Nodal Voltage Amplifier, US Patent 4,467,288) circuit that was developed by industry guru Jim Strickland. The Trans•Nova circuit squeezes the most out of every component to reduce the gain stages down to three in lieu of the five typically employed by others. The shorter path results in a much more open sounding and realistic sound stage.

In this latest iteration, a toroidal power transformer has been introduced. This has a lower output impedance and produces far less noise than a conventional E-lam transformer. The result is a tighter, more defined bottom end. As well, toroidal transformers are inherently self-shielding which reduces the amount of potential low frequency and rectifier noise introduced into the audio signal path. Passive convection cooling, with over-sized heatsinks, surround the amplifier eliminating the need for a fan, thus enabling the P3100 to be used in the most intimate installations.

In use, the Hafler P3100 is rich in detail, depth of field and musicality. With 150 watts of available power per channel at 8 Ohms and 200 watts at 4 Ohms, the P3100 has plenty of headroom to drive the most power-hungry loudspeaker. Bridged in mono, 400 watts are available for sub-woofers or as a matched pair for larger 2-channel setups.
This amp is actually 2 years old, it was presented at NAMM 2016, but is yet to pop up on Gearslutz and the pro studio world

IMO it puts an end to all the threads about which amp to buy nowadays for NS10 & ProAC speakers. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Newsbit at Prosoundweb
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Don´t know the P3100 but the Transnova design shows at least in my Hafler 9505 an open and relaxed soundstage with detail. A high damping fctor and slew rate seems to give good control for almost every monitor.

Hafler is underrated for me and I wished they would continue the 9505.
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecker View Post
Hello,

one new piece of gear I stumpled on at Vintageking is the new Hafler P3100 power amp

This amp is actually 2 years old, it was presented at NAMM 2016, but is yet to pop up on Gearslutz and the pro studio world

IMO it puts an end to all the threads about which amp to buy nowadays for NS10 & ProAC speakers. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Newsbit at Prosoundweb
if it sounds like the p3000 then run.

if it sounds like the 9505 then that is cool.
Old 2nd April 2018
I had 2 of the P3*** amps.
Both failed after a couple of years of very light use.

I am running a Hafler Pro 2400 PA amp in my home stereo, bought years before the P3*** and it still works to this day...

Go figure!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search