The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac
Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?

Anyone Still Tracking or Mixing on Old Analog Desk & Tape?

If So Feel Free To Post Picture's

Thanks In Advance ..
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

yes.... but no pics, im waiting for my film to be developed at the drug store...
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Top studios everywhere ...London, Los Angeles, New York . . most have Neve SSL or Trident. Plus droves of vintage outboard (( to get the job done )).
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Top studios everywhere ...London, Los Angeles, New York . . most have SSL
People actually still record with these?
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

80s desk for me DDA- AMR-24.

Studer A800 2 inch Tape

Digital 48 track Hard Disk Recorders and Mac DAW.

there are still plenty of these type studios around.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-dda-desk-.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-studer-frount.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-456-vu-meters.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-control-room-1.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

mci jh500 and studer a800

...and other analog/tube outboard - all of which is only getting used if someone can perform, commit to workflow and decide on performance immediately (and pays for the equipment and time it requires to get 'this' sound - if not, i rather use things for my own and my friends pleasure).

studer vista, nuendo and digital outboard for everybody else (again: who pays for the time and equipment to get 'that' sound - ain't bad either)

and for the rest: pls go elsewhere
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Here’s the gear for the studio I’m currently building... all 1950 and 1960 based...

Some of us appreciate this sound and would like to preserve it. Or, I’m just friggin nuts... could be either or...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-0d6d16e4-0b1b-430e-b801-dfa507f4c4f3.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-bddba81c-dac6-4ea9-8d54-242369d705ef.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-a53a0ed7-701f-4419-9ac6-344162f69081.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-ecd026ac-7827-4f5d-bb9f-8f00541bb329.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-7938d3b8-2caa-4e97-9601-f695ad90fa8b.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Trident 80b and MCI JH24
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

O course I use it.

Neve and Stellavox

Neve and Studer

Meat and potatoes
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Mci & Mci

Mci JH-428 Console
Mci JH-24 Tape Deck

I track and mix daily on these 2 and they got that 70's Mojo Rock Sound! It's easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_2135.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_8617.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_3186.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_0588.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_0706.jpg  

Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_2337.jpg   Anyone Still Using 70's Console & Tape Machine?-img_2953.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Revox C278 8-track, Siemens V72 and EAB mic pres, Audix desk. Works for me.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
People actually still record with these?
Most use a laptop, plugins, and library of virtual noises. Lots of bang for the buck there.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most use a laptop, plugins, and library of virtual noises. Lots of bang for the buck there.
Ironically it's not only less expensive but actually sounds better as well.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Mci JH-428 Console
Mci JH-24 Tape Deck

I track and mix daily on these 2 and they got that 70's Mojo Rock Sound! It's easy!
nice
lots of great records tracked on this combo^
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds better that's very subjective.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Sounds better that's very subjective.
Not at all subjective since a DAW is not going to degrade your sound like ICs will.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Subjective.

Depends what your doing and what your objectives are.

If you want a certain sound, then you use certain gear (if you can afford it).

If you want authenticity then you use certain processes. The process is just as important as the sonics in some cases.

Horses for courses.

I'd take a working vintage console and a tape machine over a laptop and some I/O any day of the week given the choice, and the budget.........but for other kinds of project, a digital setup may be preferable. It's all about application............
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not at all subjective since a DAW is not going to degrade your sound like ICs will.
Can we not do this argument in here please?

I'm all for pictures - more!
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
HEE! ...if true, maybe the desire for vintage gear will suddenly vanish?
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 4th April 2018
500 series nutjob

Quote:
thats like saying the blue color Picasso used was too not a good blue.

Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
HEE! ...if true, maybe the desire for vintage gear will suddenly vanish?
Well not all vintage gear, just vintage gear with ICs. Discrete circuits are ok at any age.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
thats like saying the blue color Picasso used was too not a good blue.

Not sure what ay of this means^ but SSLs are pretty thin sounding boards. The lights sure do look neato though.
I don't think any experienced audiophile can defend the IC sound of SSL pres and line amps
That EQ is pretty pitifully thin sounding as well. SSL eq sounds bad compared to even mid level discrete eqs.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Addict

Trace Horse Studio "Live 2 Tape"

Our sessions these days are probably 30% Analog, 40% Protools, 30% Hybrid.

But...we started a series last year we call Trace Horse Studio "Live 2 Tape". We invite cool artists/bands to come in and record a single song "Live 2 Tape" while simultaneously shooting a performance video. We record via our custom Neve 8014 to our MCI 16 Track 2 inch machine.

It's super fun but a bit of a "high wire" act for everyone involved i.e. musicians, videographers and engineers. We get set up and roll tape/begin shooting within an hour of the band arriving at the studio.

This is Becca Mancari and her talented band performing her song "Dirty Dishes" from her latest record. Watch the whole thing to catch the inspired lap steel solo at the very end of the song.

Old 4th April 2018
Gear Guru

My Neotek console if from the 90s. My MCI 24-track was made in 1987. My Studer A80R came out of Media Sound in NYC (by way of Nashville and Athens GA) so it must be a 70s model.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesOnFlames View Post
Can we not do this argument in here please?

I'm all for pictures - more!
Since when do facts require supporting arguments?
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You're not arguing - you turned up to a thread about analog studio pictures, then started loudly talking about how much better digital is. It's not having an argument or 'discourse' - it's you being overbearing and rude, then acting smug when people (surprise) get annoyed with your antics.

Can you please just move on already? We don't care about digital audio. It's not what the topic is about. You're not being clever or subversive - just annoying.
Old 4th April 2018
500 series nutjob

Quote:
are you a troll?
i know i am not here as much as i once was but i think i still recognize a troll?

out!
Old 4th April 2018
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
Our sessions these days are probably 30% Analog, 40% Protools, 30% Hybrid.

But...we started a series last year we call Trace Horse Studio "Live 2 Tape". We invite cool artists/bands to come in and record a single song "Live 2 Tape" while simultaneously shooting a performance video. We record via our custom Neve 8014 to our MCI 16 Track 2 inch machine.

It's super fun but a bit of a "high wire" act for everyone involved i.e. musicians, videographers and engineers. We get set up and roll tape/begin shooting within an hour of the band arriving at the studio.

This is Becca Mancari and her talented band performing her song "Dirty Dishes" from her latest record. Watch the whole thing to catch the inspired lap steel solo at the very end of the song.

Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
are you a troll?
i know i am not here as much as i once was but i think i still recognize a troll?

out!

Other than some VC modeling plugs on the masterbuss a DAW is the most transparent technology in the modern studio. The the troll is the same fool who thinks ICs sounds good. I just don't understand how anyone can defend the sound of IC based consoles in this era of discrete boutique recording. I wouldn't go as far as claiming an SSL sounds bad, but it's probably as close as a high end desk can get to sounding bad. Take out the buss comps and automation and it's ready for the junkyard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search