The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Barefoot MicroSub45 with different brand monitors
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

Barefoot MicroSub45 with different brand monitors

I really like the idea of the Barefoot Microsub45 and was wondering if anyone has tested them with something other than the MicroMAIN monitors that they are meant to go with?

I currently have Focal Shape 65s and think they sound perfect in my room so I’m not looking to change them. I also have a KRK sub10 to check the low end but the MicroSubs just seem really cool and I like that they would sit on the desk with the Focals.

If anyone has any experience with them I’d love to know. Or if you know of anything similar to the micro subs that would be great!
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

I did not realize the Microsubs were as new as they are! Maybe a better question would be if anyone has even had a chance to really hear them in their studio at all yet.
Old 2nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Crossover at 80Hz (fixed) with a hpf on the output to be chained to the satellite speaker. There also appear to be no adjustments available on it (level/phase.) If that works for you, a sub is a sub and it will work just fine.

From Barefoot's POV, level and phase are easy to adjust and keep fixed when it is mated to their own speaker and the positioning is above/below. However, if your Focal's are more or less sensitive to signal. the sub could be too much/too little in comparison. Then you would have to bass manage the two from a monitor controller so you could have some control.

The MM45 sensitivity is: Input Sensitivity (1m) = 90 dB @ -15 dBV (pass band). I don't see sensitivity numbers from Focal so you might want to check what they are and if they align with the MM45 -- otherwise you mind need to do some trim/gain.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Crossover at 80Hz (fixed) with a hpf on the output to be chained to the satellite speaker. There also appear to be no adjustments available on it (level/phase.) If that works for you, a sub is a sub and it will work just fine.

From Barefoot's POV, level and phase are easy to adjust and keep fixed when it is mated to their own speaker and the positioning is above/below. However, if your Focal's are more or less sensitive to signal. the sub could be too much/too little in comparison. Then you would have to bass manage the two from a monitor controller so you could have some control.

The MM45 sensitivity is: Input Sensitivity (1m) = 90 dB @ -15 dBV (pass band). I don't see sensitivity numbers from Focal so you might want to check what they are and if they align with the MM45 -- otherwise you mind need to do some trim/gain.
gotcha! i did not realize that they were as dependent on the MM45's as they are!
i have a KRK Sub 10s right now just for checking the low end and have it turned down pretty low (Not trying to run a nightclub in my control room). The MicroSub is considerably more wattage so that could be an issue! It's too bad more companies aren't doing something similar because i like the idea of 2 small form subs that can be set next to the mains with good frequency range!

Mixes are translating well and everything sounds great in my room so there is no real NEED to change anything, I just saw the Microsubs today and thought they seems like an awesome idea!

thanks for the info!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search