Gear Maniac

Tele C12 to complete my mic locker?

Hi folks, happy easter!

Currently I have following LCD mics in my locker:

Tele Elam 251E
Tele U47
Neumann M149
AKG 414

I have a small high end project studio and was considering getting a second M149 for stereo duties. But now, since I have the Retro Powerstrip preamp and recorded some rappers and vocalists, the Tele mics + powerstrip combo kills every other combo in my studio (including preamps like 1073 dpa, BAE312a, LA610 SE & AEA TRP). Sounds expensive and beautiful.

Has anyone experience with the whole diamond series by Telefunken USA?
Will the C12 deliver something I couldn´t achieve with the Elam by using EQ?

I am considering selling some stuff (perhaps also the AKG and Neumann) to get a c12 or maybe a second Elam. I like them that much. They win in nearly every application... experienced info by you is highly appreciated

Ah.. will be used broadly on vox/rap/instruments like cello, accordeon, piano, all kinds of guitars... you name it.
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Addict

We have a Tele 251E, a Tele 47 and a matched pair of Tele C-12's here. We use the 251 and 47 as predominately (but not exclusively) vocal mics and the C-12's as instrument mics. The C-12 is a little leaner in the low end than the other two, so I'm not sure male vocals are it's strong suit. But it's response is smooth throughout the range and the top end is exquisite (more so than the 251 IMO), so it would work well for female vocals. The C-12's kill as drum room mics, and sound even better on acoustic guitars. We don't have an acoustic piano here, but I have no reason to think they wouldn't excel in that application as well. The C-12's are very good at providing a smooth and balanced representation of the what's happening in your room, so if you have good sounding recording spaces, the C-12 will be your friend for all kinds of live sources. It's a lot of money, but the Tele C-12 is a slightly different animal than their 251 and a very useful addition to the mic locker...

Dave/Suspect Studios

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search