The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Still using AD16x? How is it stacking up for you? Digital Converters
Old 1st April 2018
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Still using AD16x? How is it stacking up for you?

I just recently bought an Apogee AD16x to add 16 more inputs to my Apogee Symphony IO system. Just curious who is still using one and how you feel it compares to what is available today.
Old 1st April 2018
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneAlive View Post
I just recently bought an Apogee AD16x to add 16 more inputs to my Apogee Symphony IO system. Just curious who is still using one and how you feel it compares to what is available today.
I've asked about this a few time and never got an answer. While you wait for more answers about this, I'll post my personal experience and thoughts.

The 16x system sounds very good and the drivers are rock solid (for me). I'm using the thunder thunderbridge Symphony (now discontinued). I've recorded and mixed over a thousand songs with the 16x converters. I've used the MK 1 converters on a few sessions...they were also very good...were they better?...probably. If I were to replace them with anything it would be with the Symphony MK 2 because of my solid experience with the apogee brand. I haven't had any reason to leave the 16x system yet. To replace my system it would cost $7000. Although cheaper than what I paid for the 16x system years ago, I'm not sure if it would be a $7000 improvement.

The question that I have is about less expensive systems such as UA Apollo and Antelope Orion systems. Much newer than the 16x but I haven't read where someone likes the sound of those better. I'd like to know. I'd expect them to sound different, but I'd be looking for "better" or "as good as...."
Old 1st April 2018
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah, I’m basically in the same opinion about everything you said. I haven’t tried the AD16x yet, still in it’s way, but I have a Rosetta 800 and love it - and those two are supposed to be super close when using the same clock. The symphony converters are a bit harder sounding to me than the Rosetta; a little more clear maybe, but there are certain things I actually like the Rosetta on better.. specifically vocals through a 414.

Yeah, I have the same question about how the 16x stacks up against the modern interfaces like Apollo and Orion. Seeing as how we both like them as much as Apogee’s Symphony line, they have got to be holding there own against most anything still, even the more expensive stuff.
Old 1st April 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneAlive View Post
I just recently bought an Apogee AD16x to add 16 more inputs to my Apogee Symphony IO system. Just curious who is still using one and how you feel it compares to what is available today.
I still use 16x and I think its pretty comparable.. I mean you can buy a much more expensive converter, but I still think its a sideways move! sort of speak..Its still digital no matter how you slice it !

My friends have symphony, they don't like the tone.. Sure its brighter, more detailed, and clearer.. but who cares.. its still stale 2D digital
Old 2nd April 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

X - Series are good imo

I sold my Apogee AD/DA - 16 setup when I purchased a Burl Mothership. I love the Mothership but have to say when I go back and listen to songs I did on the AD/DA 16-X system I like it a lot. They are very good converters. I had them for 16 years and they were rock solid. I preferred the sound of the Appogee X series over the Apogee Symphony I/O system. The symphony had a polished sound that was kinda fake sounding to me.

Last edited by 127Riot; 2nd April 2018 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: I like editing
Old 2nd April 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneAlive View Post
I just recently bought an Apogee AD16x to add 16 more inputs to my Apogee Symphony IO system. Just curious who is still using one and how you feel it compares to what is available today.
Mult a signal and record it through both, to see how they compare. Do a null test, even.

Last edited by jjblair; 3rd April 2018 at 07:27 AM..
Old 2nd April 2018
  #7
RAA
Here for the gear
I have owned and still use the AD and DA 16X for over 10 years now. I also own 2 UA apollo quad silverface racks. I am still able to get subtle improvements in my overall sound with the Apogees. The apollo's don't sound quite as full or detailed as the Apogee's but still sound pretty good. I am clocking them from the Apogee's built-in big ben clock. I have also tracked and mixed on the Symphony system and Avid HDX and have also heard the burl bomber, UA 2192 and Crane Song HEDD, and while these all sound great and may have a HiFi color, I don't feel that they are worth spending the money to upgrade for most tracking and mixing duties because the quality of the 16x series sound is still on par with these newer units. The 16x series is still probably one one the best converters out there, especially for what they sell used. And you can use them standalone with almost any system using the digital ins and outs.
Old 3rd April 2018
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Great to know you guys think they are still great. Mine is arriving tomorrow, if I have time, I will do a shootout between the two for drums, guitar and bass.
Old 3rd April 2018
  #9
I know this might sound crazy.

I own, Prism ADA8x converters, Lavry gold, Avid Black Face Interfases, Burl Audio Mothership (My favorites), UA2192 and Aurora Lynx but for some reason, I like the sound of the AD16x just on electric guitars! I know it sounds crazy, but there is something about the presence, the punch, or maybe the speed of this converters on electric guitars that I miss with my other coverters.

All the best.
Old 3rd April 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

X-series, MP-3 attached.

Here's a song I did a few years back, I tracked 2 songs for a band from start to finish in 4 hours and it took me over an hour of of that time trying to get his drums to sound right in my small room. We did it live only overdubbing vocals.

Anyway, it was recorded & mixed using the apogee AD/DA- 16, X Series converters. I'm a home studio guy this was all done in my small control room.

Steve
Attached Files

The Secret Black.mp3 (6.21 MB, 2119 views)

Old 14th April 2018
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

Hey guys, I just posted a shootout between the two converters in the So Much Gear forum. I would love to you you all chime in!

Symphony MKI Vs AD-16x Shootout with Samples
Old 14th April 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
I still use 16x and I think its pretty comparable.. I mean you can buy a much more expensive converter, but I still think its a sideways move! sort of speak..Its still digital no matter how you slice it !

My friends have symphony, they don't like the tone.. Sure its brighter, more detailed, and clearer.. but who cares.. its still stale 2D digital
Plus one! I have a bunch of converters, all sounding different, but at the end of the day very similar.
Old 16th April 2018
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
Plus one! I have a bunch of converters, all sounding different, but at the end of the day very similar.

Right. I’m finding that they are both great and better at different things depending on what you are looking for
Old 25th January 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA View Post
I have owned and still use the AD and DA 16X for over 10 years now. I also own 2 UA apollo quad silverface racks. I am still able to get subtle improvements in my overall sound with the Apogees. The apollo's don't sound quite as full or detailed as the Apogee's but still sound pretty good. I am clocking them from the Apogee's built-in big ben clock. I have also tracked and mixed on the Symphony system and Avid HDX and have also heard the burl bomber, UA 2192 and Crane Song HEDD, and while these all sound great and may have a HiFi color, I don't feel that they are worth spending the money to upgrade for most tracking and mixing duties because the quality of the 16x series sound is still on par with these newer units. The 16x series is still probably one one the best converters out there, especially for what they sell used. And you can use them standalone with almost any system using the digital ins and outs.
yup, I am doing the same thing! but just 1 apollo silver with my AD16X..love it!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump