The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC SCM50/100 .. anyone's seen them inside?!
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

ATC SCM50/100 .. anyone's seen them inside?!

hello fallas,

since I am currently building my own SCM100, I am looking for some profound information about ATC speakers inside.
I bet anyone around here has had a glimpse inside while changing tweeter or so.
Is there just egg crate foam lined to the cabinet or is the cabinet filled with wool?

Any insight is highly appreciated. Maybe even pictures exist.

thanks in advance

Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

It's wool. I've been inside both 100 and 50 and have completely dismantled the 50ASL before. I've never taken any pictures of the interior. It's a very rigid, heavy, thick-walled cabinet of the right proportions. It has wool batting inside. Most likely synthetic. There's not much more to say about it.

Getting the port and tuning right is going to be a difficult part if you don't have access to making that. The port is not straight but curved.
And if you don't have ATC's crossovers (for a passive model) and the S-spec midrange, you aren't really making a SCM100.

Last edited by pentagon; 30th March 2018 at 09:49 AM..
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I replaced the tweeters in my 50s last year, and saw what pentagon said: a light colored, probably synthetic wool-like material. There was not a lot of interior space up around the tweeter, if I remember correctly.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

I would strongly suggest that you go the active route as opposed to passive. I still haven’t heard any passive DIY ATC clones which came even remotely close to ATC passive - active will make your life far easier.

Good luck!
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I would strongly suggest that you go the active route as opposed to passive.
I will indeed go active with those new Hypex Fusion Amps so I'll have abundance of power and a DSP crossover.. much more easy to get things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
It's wool...Most likely synthetic....

Getting the port and tuning right is going to be a difficult part if you don't have access to making that. The port is not straight but curved.
Hey Pentagon,

thanks for your insights! Is it only wool? So no egg crate foam to the walls?

And yea, I am aware of the curved port and already have everything set
Regarding its final length it's a bit of trial and error I reckon.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

No egg crate in the 50 or 100.

Since I recently measured it, the port tuning for the 100 is 30Hz. If you accurately measure your cabinet volume, you can calculate the length of the tube needed. Doing a straight tube is easier on the math but the equations exist for how to convert that to curved tubes. The diameter of the port is 105mm. So it doesn't have to be trial and error. You just need to know exactly what your box volume is.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

thanks for sharing guys that was very helpful
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

If the drivers are not SL woofers and S Mid it’s not a real 50 or 100, not a bad speaker but not a Real SCM without the super drivers !
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
If the drivers are not SL woofers and S Mid it’s not a real 50 or 100, not a bad speaker but not a Real SCM without the super drivers !
I never claimed to build a real SCM 100 ..how'd that be even possible? I am not Ben Lilly :D
Call it a clone, a replica or whatsoever
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Why not purchase a pair from classifieds? You'll end up paying half the price, which is, or should be, your budget for this project if you're serious about it. Still, unless you're experienced enough you'll end up throwing cash out of the window. It's like trying to built your own Bentley.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Still, unless you're experienced enough you'll end up throwing cash out of the window. It's like trying to built your own Bentley.
You have obviously no clue what you're talking about
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

For what its worth, some years ago I heard a self-built attempt at the 100s (or was it 110?, I forgot) at a nice studio for work on a film score. I've also forgotten details about the amps but the result was very nice. Would they sound like real ATC in that room? I don't know because I never heard real ATC in that room. I was a little surprised they went with a self-build, because they obviously had a healthy budget, and am only saying that in this instance their build sounded very nice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search