The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
genelec 8351 owners Help
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac
genelec 8351 owners Help

Hi
Just trying out the genelec 8351
I am finding that they are sometimes cutting out on big sub booms (kind you would hear in film scores)
The light goes red not sure if anyone else has this problem?
Not sure if there is enough head room in these monitirs
Thanks for the help
Dave
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Hi
Just trying out the genelec 8351
I am finding that they are sometimes cutting out on big sub booms (kind you would hear in film scores)
The light goes red not sure if anyone else has this problem?
Not sure if there is enough head room in these monitirs
Thanks for the help
Dave
What is the listeing level you are listening to? What size is your room? What is your listening distance. When I have seen red light on with my pair, it was already way way too loud. Of course with more low end content they would run out of headroom quickly, but still produced more than required level for a longterm monitoring.

But for post and film scores i definitely suggest you to pair them with a 7370 subwoofer. In that case you will be able to enjoy high SPL sub levels.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac
it was not at a extremely high level around 85db
not a big room
thanks
Dave
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
it was not at a extremely high level around 85db
not a big room
thanks
Dave
Eclipse,

is your 8351a firmware updated?

Before new firmware, my 8351 turned red when playing "Into the trees" by Trentemøller at around 85 dB general SPL:

https://tidal.com/track/65749640

You could also try out the "Sleep" album by Max Richter to see if your lights turn red. This album (first few tracks) has got plenty of information clustered in lower octaves, around 50 Hz or so:

https://tidal.com/album/85663615

The point is, if your material has some special bass information, while the core information is played back at around 85 dB, it could be that this bass information stresses the 8351 at the point of "breaking apart" (i.e. protection sets in). That's why Genelec has a very good subwoofer program. The new 7380 seems to be a good fit for those who need to play back bass information with plenty of headroom.
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Do you have it calibrated via GLM or is the calibration bypassed?
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Calibrated using GML
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Calibrated using GML
Svarthitt has posted a very good answer. As he mentioned, it might be a firmware issue or maybe this low bass really is that significant. Also the listening distance is a major factor here 85dB SPL at 1m is much less than 85dB at 2m.

Besides 7380 which is huge and can handle really high SPL, you could also benefit from 7370 or 2x 7360s. Definitely if you want to monitor lows at high SPL a sub is requred and Genelec subs are IMHO the best subs in the market (and also the integration is as perfect as it gets).
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Thanks Svarthvitt
I think updating the Firmware did the trick
cheers
Dave
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Svarthvitt
I think updating the Firmware did the trick
cheers
Dave
Happy to see it worked!

FWIW, however, I have the feeling that small monitors are (always) undersized if bass is your game.

Especially if working general SPL is 85 dB, while lower bass is clustered 10-25 dB higher for tactile effect (cfr. films, Max Richter’s «Sleep» etc.) and you want to keep headroom lofty 20-25 dB above general SPL.

So additional sub support depends on your usage and needs.
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Do you know what was changed in the Firmware update?

thanks again for your help
Dave
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do you know what was changed in the Firmware update?

thanks again for your help
Dave
I have no idea...

Better ask Genelec, distributor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search