The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler REDD mic next to a vintage U87 Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Should I give in to gearlust?
Get the REDD!
35 Votes - 41.67%
Stick with the 87!
49 Votes - 58.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Okay, another totally different sample of the REDD. This time from in the field, so to speak! I've been working on demoing an original, just acoustic/vocals, and I did this over the last day...
Acoustic = REDD by itself, in normal mode, a couple of feet back, with some pultec tweaking to get it to sit right.
Vocals = REDD in drive mode, through WA76 into WA2A into EQP-WA with a 1.5dB boost at 10kHz. Aside from that, pretty much all I did in the box was high pass, de-ess, and add some slap + plate.
I'm digging the drive mode for a grittier vocal vibe. I might even prefer it over normal mode - it sounds a little more retro and rounded, but still with that exceptional detail. Thoughts?
Attached Files

REDD Demo - Tunnels Clip 1.mp3 (3.27 MB, 3791 views)

Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm still loving them fairly clean on drums.
They sound just like Ed Greene on an old Barry White record.
It may have been positioning but the only lucky winner lately on drums was the fat Soundelux U99. Amazing recommendations. Thanks!

Both leave the vintage 87 in the dust here.... AEA R92 on snare and Horch Fet on kick that's all apart from ribbon room boom.

I only keep the Neumann cos people recognise them.
My U99 is Great on drums . but for
My voice though , a U87 just sounds right .
Older version that is .
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
How are you finding the new 67 reissue? What's it like compared to the REDD?
digging it.past 2 weeks heard it next to vintage 67’s and 269’s.
the stock cable is kinda flimsy/lame.klaus thinks Chinese knockoff(upgrading to a custom redco Gotham GAC-7)VK will offer an upgrade unless Neumann decides to change it.
but yeah I’ve already ordered a 2nd 67.
67 vs Redd?.. different sounds.
Redd has more upper/lower extension.
67 Neumann more mid thing focused.
The u99’s are more in the 67-ish camp although the 67 sounds overall a bit smoother mids/highs,wider more refined vs the 99’s,a little more pointy/aggressive in the mids and in “flat” setting a little more up top which for some things might work better than a 67 imo.love them on overheads.i also use the fat setting a lot.
after comparing I still think the 99’s are friggin’ amazing super versatile mics for the dough(1/4th the 67 $).

Last edited by RoundBadge; 3rd April 2018 at 02:23 AM..
Old 3rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
cool!
I’ve been putting the brand new reissue 67 up against my u99’s this past week.
whats your thoughts on the u99 vs the u67?
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Listening again through samples the U87 is not unsubtly smoother and silkier on your voice. I made a similar comment earlier about a single set of samples, but have listened to more...The 87 takes the edgy moments and burnishes them in a nice way. Get the REDD or not, but that 87 sounds like a much better match for your voice. Much better than that SM7 as well.

I think the REDD is too edgy and a bit buzzy sounding in drive mode on your voice. I bet that getting some tube saturation via a preamp or compressor with the 87 would sound much better. Sometimes a little more treble or overdrive sounds better on a/b, but in this case I don’t think it’s in the right place for your voice. A 251 might bring out more air a little bit higher and not get as buzzy, for instance.

Good luck whatever your choice, nice playing.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Okay, another totally different sample of the REDD. This time from in the field, so to speak! I've been working on demoing an original, just acoustic/vocals, and I did this over the last day...
Acoustic = REDD by itself, in normal mode, a couple of feet back, with some pultec tweaking to get it to sit right.
Vocals = REDD in drive mode, through WA76 into WA2A into EQP-WA with a 1.5dB boost at 10kHz. Aside from that, pretty much all I did in the box was high pass, de-ess, and add some slap + plate.
I'm digging the drive mode for a grittier vocal vibe. I might even prefer it over normal mode - it sounds a little more retro and rounded, but still with that exceptional detail. Thoughts?
digging the voice.
just my taste but I might lose the WA 10k boost though.
I find the WA pultecs kinda aggressive grainy compared to the real deal.not a fan.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
whats your thoughts on the u99 vs the u67?
post #33 ^^
Old 3rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroad View Post
My U99 is Great on drums . but for
My voice though , a U87 just sounds right .
Older version that is .

Cool, mine are old and matched and sound good with a valve pre but I have other mics I go to first for vocals, like the Horch, the Redd, the Nordic, the C800G, the SM69 tube or the Bock 251.

I'm still considering selling my original C24 as the 2 I have Redds are so nice but IDK.....

The U99 on fat is a beautiful thing.
Old 3rd April 2018
Quote:
Sweet performance. I'd want the vocal in front of the guitar a bit more as the guitar is pretty dominant and I want more vocal.
The 87 on guitar worked well and set it back a bit.
I like crisp up front vocals and the Redd is great for that.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
digging the voice.
I find the WA pultecs kinda aggressive grainy compared to the real deal.not a fan.
If that’s bc of the WA Pultec, I would say make the bandwidth of the peak wider.

I get along with the WA fine, but then again I was never really a person to use a Pultec or similar on a mix...they do the trick on snare, kick, acoustic, vocal, etc. I *did* replace the stock JJs before deciding I liked them. Those JJs are a buzzkill. Biggest issue with the units IMO.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Listening again through samples the U87 is not unsubtly smoother and silkier on your voice. I made a similar comment earlier about a single set of samples, but have listened to more...The 87 takes the edgy moments and burnishes them in a nice way. Get the REDD or not, but that 87 sounds like a much better match for your voice. Much better than that SM7 as well.

I think the REDD is too edgy and a bit buzzy sounding in drive mode on your voice. I bet that getting some tube saturation via a preamp or compressor with the 87 would sound much better. Sometimes a little more treble or overdrive sounds better on a/b, but in this case I don’t think it’s in the right place for your voice. A 251 might bring out more air a little bit higher and not get as buzzy, for instance.

Good luck whatever your choice, nice playing.
Thanks Toledo! Interesting - I personally feel like this sound is pretty balanced, and seems to translate decently across to my laptop and portable bluetooth speakers. I just tracked that same part with the 87 for comparison and it felt kind of veiled - kind of like I'd put on a 'retro filter' if you will. But that said, I was doing another demo like this the other night with a slower finger-picked song, and the REDD sounded wrong/way too bright, but the 87 sat perfectly.
So I guess it's all preference (keeps things interesting, or we'd all track the same kind of record!), and perhaps dependent on the arrangement of the vocal part in question as to which elicits more 'rightness'. Some songs work with a big, shiny tube thing, while others do better with a muted ethereal, slow-attack/soft consonant feel. Clearly this is why I need to probably hire a producer/second pair of ears to help figure this stuff out for the record.

Quote:
digging the voice.
Thanks RoundBadge! I actually find the EQP pretty useful, but it's probably not especially necessary for a brighter mic like the REDD anyway. That vocal had no EQ aside from an HPF at 75Hz and a narrow -1.24dB cut at 492Hz. Which I found pretty neat! I'm used to scanning around the 500Hz and 1K areas on the 87 to clean up the wooly sock stuff and polish stuff up. I might look into the 500-series Pultec at some point, or an API 550.

Quote:
Sweet performance. I'd want the vocal in front of the guitar a bit more as the guitar is pretty dominant and I want more vocal.
The 87 on guitar worked well and set it back a bit.
I like crisp up front vocals and the Redd is great for that.
Thanks Paul! I appreciate the feedback, and have tweaked it a little. I've generally had a tendency to mix vocals too high (as a vocalist), so sometimes I overcompensate and push them down too far.
I really dig the vibe of that guitar take, or I would redo it with the 87 (which I'll do for the full-band version anyway) or my KM184s. Particularly with a percussive type acoustic part like this, the REDD comes out a little on the scratchier side. That said, I just ran the guitar part through my WA2A and EQP-WA, and it seems to smoothed it out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
If that’s bc of the WA Pultec, I would say make the bandwidth of the peak wider.

I get along with the WA fine, but then again I was never really a person to use a Pultec or similar on a mix...they do the trick on snare, kick, acoustic, vocal, etc. I *did* replace the stock JJs before deciding I liked them. Those JJs are a buzzkill. Biggest issue with the units IMO.
I also get on fine with my WA units. I think Warm use Tung-Sol tubes in the EQP, according to their site? But perhaps they changed it recently. I'm curious how it would affect the tone to put some nice NOS tubes in there instead. There's also the Revive Audio mod, though I'm not sure how much of a tangible difference that actually makes.
Generally, as with this case (which was done with individual instruments, not to the full mix), I have the bandwidth set to 10/fully broad, because I almost exclusively use it for boosting top end on vocals or acoustic.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm still loving them fairly clean on drums.
They sound just like Ed Greene on an old Barry White record.
It may have been positioning but the only lucky winner lately on drums was the fat Soundelux U99. Amazing recommendations. Thanks!

Both leave the vintage 87 in the dust here.... AEA R92 on snare and Horch Fet on kick that's all apart from ribbon room boom.

I only keep the Neumann cos people recognise them.
Interesting...I'm thinking of buying a Redd microphone or possibly 2 of them for drum overheads etc. Have you heard a pair of them? What was it about the Soundelux U99 you liked on drums? I have a nice big open drum room and going for a minimal mic drum set up to 2 inch tape. Maybe 4 mic's or so. Cheers
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
Interesting...I'm thinking of buying a Redd microphone or possibly 2 of them for drum overheads etc. Have you heard a pair of them? What was it about the Soundelux U99 you liked on drums? I have a nice big open drum room and going for a minimal mic drum set up to 2 inch tape. Maybe 4 mic's or so. Cheers
I have redds and 99’s
apples and oranges
The 99’s lean into u67 territory with textural options.love the fat switch.thickens in a subtle nice way.
Nice Mid range and a bit of aggression.good for rock drums.
The redds are prettier have nice extension up top and bottom . Drive and contour are great options.
F*kkin glorious on grand piano last week.
Happy to have both I find them both super useful.
Demo them in your space and see what works.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 11th April 2018 at 08:30 PM..
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have redds and 99’s
apples and oranges
The 99’s lean into u67 territory with textural options.love the fat switch.thickens in a subtle nice way.
Nice Mid range and a bit of aggression.good for rock drums.
The redds are prettier have nice extension up top and bottom . Drive and contour are great options.
F*kkin glorious on grand piano last week.
Happy to have both I find them both super useful.
Demo them in your space and see what works.
Sounds great. Just curious, did you get pair of Redds matched? Also, do you mostly use the built in preamp or do you also get great results using other mic pres with them also? Cheers
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sounds great. Just curious, did you get pair of Redds matched? Also, do you mostly use the built in preamp or do you also get great results using other mic pres with them also? Cheers
Nah another bought a year after by a friend.although it makes sense if your doing a pair to have wade match them up
At the shop.
I never use a pre amp behind it.except another Redd 47.that sounds cool lol
But Usually mic straight to a compressor.
The preamp is already in the mic.
That’s the sound.
Old 12th April 2018
Quote:
I have 2 Redds bought from the same batch. Same sound. Same with a pair of U99's.

The Redd's are great, I can't imagine them not sounding great in a great room, same goes for the U99.
The U99 took the edge on a recording recently because it was a heavier drummer and as I mentioned the placement was out front instead of overhead. I think being a hard hitter had a lot to do with it. The softer, funk drummer I tracked the week before lit up the Redds like nothing I've ever captured. Horses for courses.

In a nice big room treat yourself!
I've just bought a second Bock 251 too, they're pure caramel.....
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Awesome. I spoke to Wade a week ago and he mentioned he could select a couple Redd mic's as a pair without going to the expense of matching them exactly. I'm thinking for general use and drum overheads etc that would be great....
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nah another bought a year after by a friend.although it makes sense if your doing a pair to have wade match them up
At the shop.
I never use a pre amp behind it.except another Redd 47.that sounds cool lol
But Usually mic straight to a compressor.
The preamp is already in the mic.
That’s the sound.
You mentioned earlier you have the new 67 re issue and are ordering another. I would be curious how a pair of the 67 re issue mic on drums would compare to a pair of Redd mic's?
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
You mentioned earlier you have the new 67 re issue and are ordering another. I would be curious how a pair of the 67 re issue mic on drums would compare to a pair of Redd mic's?
like the 99's which hang with the 67 camp really well,again its basically an apples vs oranges/horses for courses comparison.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Listening to the single mic guitar/vocal samples, I have to say kudos to Kroc! for such a compelling mix from those raw tracks. The treatment was transformative, imo and reveals a mixing talent beyond the obvious artistic talent.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
listened again on better speakers.this set up sounds nice.some harmonics.up front present still warm.
ditch the 10k boost and your probably good.bet it would also sound nice through an rs124.
redd sounds nice through an unfairchild too.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Listening to the single mic guitar/vocal samples, I have to say kudos to Kroc! for such a compelling mix from those raw tracks. The treatment was transformative, imo and reveals a mixing talent beyond the obvious artistic talent.
Thanks Pangolin!
Glad you enjoyed the mixing - I appreciate your kind words! I always try to do the bare minimum and have a good reason for any mixing moves I make. In my opinion, mixing should be as transparent as possible (particularly with acoustic stuff like this), unless you're going for a particular sound. Otherwise it's easy to wind up with an overcompressed, filtered sounding track that has been muddied up with too many effects.

I think as engineers we get taught about all the cool 'tricks' we should use to make our tracks sound better, when in reality you shouldn't do anything unless the song really needs it. In this case, that meant super light, transparent compression (2.2:1 ratio) just to make it sit within a more listenable dynamic range, a tiny bit of de-essing to get rid of harshness, and a little bit of subtle plate reverb to add some ambience (as it was recorded in a dry room). But there's not much else I felt I needed to 'fix' sonically. I was happy with the take itself, and tried to get it sounding right while recording. So as long as you get your source material sounding the way you want it to with no processing, your job is just to bring out the nuance. Rather than trying to fix hard frequencies, or hide imperfections.

I believe a big part of that is finding the right mic and preamp, and I would happily record my music through either of these. If you're not using the right tool for the job, it can be a much more irritating process of figuring out the best way to make things sound 'right'.
Just my two cents!

Quote:
listened again on better speakers.this set up sounds nice.some harmonics.up front present still warm.
ditch the 10k boost and your probably good.bet it would also sound nice through an rs124.
redd sounds nice through an unfairchild too.
Hey thanks RoundBadge. Glad you dig the setup. I'm really enjoying this mic. Yeah, the EQP-WA boost is probably excessive - I'm using it less for vocals now regardless. It seems a little more transparent to put in a subtle Waves SSL EQ if needed.

I'll have to check out the RS124. I'm really enjoying my WA2A (and it seems to round off the REDD in a very pleasing way) but I'm keen to get a really serious vocal compressor eventually also. Something on the same level as the REDD and 87. I was thinking a real LA2A, but an RS124 could be cool to look into also.

I like drive mode for a bit of a gritty, retro rock n' roll thing. But for clean, I did another vocal the other day using it on normal mode, +24dB input, PSU output on 0dB, into my WA76 during tracking for extra gain + to smooth the peaks, and then thickened it through the WA2A later during mixing. Probably the best vocal sound I've found with it so far - I think driving the tube less makes it slightly less bright and sibilant on my voice. Just enough to make it more balanced while retaining the same detail.
Old 16th May 2018
Gear Head

I am weighing a purchase of the REDD too. On that note to compare it to an 87, well my opinion must be taken with a grain of salt, because I have never liked 87s. In this example the Redd slays it.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Wow vocal here sounds amazing. Just fab. No compression? It sounds so naturally compressed, like a nice old record. Nice singing too. Guitar? Not so crazy about the sound. A bit boomy for my tastes.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
I am weighing a purchase of the REDD too. On that note to compare it to an 87, well my opinion must be taken with a grain of salt, because I have never liked 87s. In this example the Redd slays it.
I would highly recommend the REDD! Very versatile, useful tool. It's cool to be able to take a full amazing vocal chain around in a case.
They're very different beasts. I like my 87, and it never sounds 'bad' to me, but it can get pretty dark and wooly. Very thick in the mids. The REDD is basically the opposite - more scooped in the mids, hyper-detailed.
Which other mics do you like? If I have one in my locker, I will totally post some comparison clips.

Quote:
Wow vocal here sounds amazing. Just fab. No compression? It sounds so naturally compressed, like a nice old record. Nice singing too. Guitar? Not so crazy about the sound. A bit boomy for my tastes.
Thank you!
This was in 'drive' mode (extra harmonics), tracked through a WA76 compressor (Warm Audio 1176-type FET comp) into a WA2A compressor (Warm Audio LA2A-type tube comp), into a Pultec-style Warm Audio EQP-WA (tube EQ). So, there was some hardware compression going on here before the converters (I did this one as a demo, not a raw comparison, hence the processing), but I think I would have only done a couple of dBs with each. I'm sure all the tubes in the chain (2 in the mic, 1 in the WA2A, 1 in the EQP) probably helped, too.
But in terms of mixing it afterwards, I just high-passed it and put on a de-esser. There was no surgical EQ (often I scan and pull muddy or hard frequencies), and no extra compression in the box.

As for the guitar, I totally agree: I liked the take, so I tried to make it work, but the same things that make the REDD completely rock on vocals (heaps of super-fine detail, rich lows, scooped in the 'mud' area) didn't help it at all with acoustic. To my ears also, it's boomy, aggressive, and not especially warm. I much prefer using my swiss army knife vintage 87 for acoustic - the guitar is a 2011 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage, which is nicely balanced and records very well. It really doesn't need the extra prettying that the REDD brings in. Plus, using a darker mic pads out things better and gives the vocals more space.

I'm getting ready to track all of this stuff for my next record in Brooklyn next month with a great drummer and bassist. Excited to get a chance to use the REDD for real.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Which other mics do you like? If I have one in my locker, I will totally post some comparison clips.
Hey, thanks. If you have any quality c12 or 47 clones, that would be awesome. Thanks much!
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey, thanks. If you have any quality c12 or 47 clones, that would be awesome. Thanks much!
I do not, unfortunately! As far as vocal stuff goes, aside from the 87 I have an Avantone BV12, an SM7b, RE20, KMS104, Beta 58, TAB modified 57, and a few other bits and pieces.
No proper C12 or 47 clones... yet! The REDD seemed like a good all-round compromise between those sounds from my research, without being able to do shoot outs: I can't speak from personal experience comparing them, but I've seen a few people raving about how it has blown their vintage 47s, C12s, 251s, 67s, etc. away - others seem to think it's like a C800g with german 'grit' and slightly less air. But again, your mileage may vary, and I can't speak from actual personal comparison.
The studio I'll be doing my album in has a 47 and 67, and I'll be taking the REDD, so I plan on comparing them when I'm there in a few weeks.

There's a thread on Real Gear Online that has some good info. Can't post the URL, but: /thread/6691/chandler-redd-mic?page=1

Cheers,
Dan
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Yes, the REDD kind of slides into the space between a c12 and U47. Plus I like that you can tweak the mic itself morphing it to be something else entirely. It's def on my shortlist. Any other clips on that mic will suffice. Post whatever whenever, and it will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, the REDD kind of slides into the space between a c12 and U47. Plus I like that you can tweak the mic itself morphing it to be something else entirely. It's def on my shortlist. Any other clips on that mic will suffice. Post whatever whenever, and it will be appreciated. Thanks!
Alrighty! I did two days in a pretty dope studio space in Brooklyn with some nice vintage mics, and I brought my REDD. We did a quick vocal shootout. The one catch is, I'm not sure which preamps my engineer was putting the other mics through, as we did it in a bit of a hurry. Mics included were:
- Vintage 1950s Telefunken U47
- Vintage Neumann U67
- RCA 44-BX
- RCA 77-DX
- My Chandler REDD
I also did a few clips at home, for reference:
- The REDD again
- My 1971 U87 into Avedis MA5
- Shure SM7b into Avedis MA5

EDIT: There is likely something wrong with the Chandler REDD. Out of respect for Chandler - and in fairness to the microphone, so it's being properly represented - I have removed these clips. I'll post new ones when we're certain that everything is up to snuff.

The song is one of my originals, from the album I'm recording.

Let me know what you think!
Attached Files

1971 U87 Raw in My Studio - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1435 views)

RCA 44-BX Raw - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1423 views)

RCA 77-DX Raw - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1391 views)

Shure SM7b Raw in My Studio - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1381 views)

Vintage 1950s Telefunken U47 Raw - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1394 views)

Vintage U67 Raw - 1.mp3 (2.36 MB, 1457 views)

Last edited by Kroc; 19th June 2018 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: REDD is likely not operating correctly.
Old 16th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Alrighty! I did two days in a pretty dope studio space in Brooklyn with some nice vintage mics, and I brought my REDD. We did a quick vocal shootout. The one catch is, I'm not sure which preamps my engineer was putting the other mics through, as we did it in a bit of a hurry. Mics included were:
- Vintage 1950s Telefunken U47
- Vintage Neumann U67
- RCA 44-BX
- RCA 77-DX
- My Chandler REDD
I also did a few clips at home, for reference:
- The REDD again
- My 1971 U87 into Avedis MA5
- Shure SM7b into Avedis MA5

For some reason the REDD is sounding thinner today to my ears (while recording in my own studio). Not sure what that's about.

The song is one of my originals, from the album I'm recording.

Let me know what you think!
Hey, thanks much. I am surprised how close the 67 and the Redd sound. What settings did you have the Redd on?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search