The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler REDD mic next to a vintage U87 Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Should I give in to gearlust?
Get the REDD!
35 Votes - 41.67%
Stick with the 87!
49 Votes - 58.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2018
Gear Addict

Are either A or B the REDD? I ask as an owner of the REDD. A sounds familiar to me. It's got the smoothness of the REDD.
Old 21st December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by withintheflux View Post
Are either A or B the REDD? I ask as an owner of the REDD. A sounds familiar to me. It's got the smoothness of the REDD.
My guess would be A is the REDD of those two.
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Maniac

If we're guessing, then I'd make the wild guess that:

A- RCA 77
B- SM7b
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

IMHO B has to be either an LDC or ribbon.
Most likely U87i. (dark horse choice U67)
I agree that that A is likely the REDD.
Chris
Old 21st December 2018
B for me!

I would go for A, u87 and B u67 (or red) since you're u87 was very dark right? A bit annoying on the "s-ss" so it might be the Redd, since an u67 should take sibilance better. A got to much lowmids, not out of control so eq would fix that pretty easy.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Then there's the possibility that Kroc bought new mics- so now you have to guess from 100's of options, instead of 5.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

I will reveal all soon.

But one hint I'll give:
One of these chains is a mic I've posted clips of before, but with a new preamp.
The other is a new mic that I haven't posted clips of, but with a preamp I have (MA5; duh. Lol) - it's a mic you'll be familiar with, though.

In the mean time, because it seems to be the popular choice, here's Mic B again. With a different test subject track, and doubled vocals (just for fun), so you can hear it in a totally different context. Everything is Mic B, including the acoustic guitar. No EQ, compression or inserts at all on anything, just a bit of UAD EMT140 plate verb again. Super rough (I'm running on like 2 hours sleep), but yeah!

Stacks - 1 by Dan Krochmal | Free Listening on SoundCloud

(I might switch to SoundCloud links, so I have a little more control over these clips in case I need to take any down eventually. Hope that doesn't cause issues for anyone)

Cheers,
Dan
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Sounds like an sm57.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
gotta agree with you on preferring a natural, uncolored raw capture. Lots opportunity to add color etc later

if only i had your raw talent.. your voice man.. damn beautiful

glad you love that 67. sounds pretty perfect
Hey thank you, that's real nice of you to say!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Did you ever try tracking your vocals with speakers instead of headphones? And not worrying a whole lot about bleed?
Thanks for the suggestion. I think Freddie Mercury used to do that, if I'm not mistaken? I haven't tried it, but I should experiment sometime. Though, I have a feeling that I might be a little too neurotic about bleed for that approach. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
No idea but it sounded really full, HiFi and smooth so maybe a 441 into an RME interface? Shooting in the dark of course...
Nope! Hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velour Jumpsoot View Post
You have some of the best single mic recordings of guitar and vocals. Would you mind sharing your reverb settings?

The source- your voice and guitar (at least in these samples) are not dirty, nor are they particularly 'rock and roll.' I appreciate what your drummer is saying, but your voice is pretty 'sweet' sounding and no mic is going to change that (as demonstrated by your many sound clips- they all have the same general feel, regardless of the nuances of the sonics).

All that said, the U67 sounds perfect for your voice. If you want dirty rock and roll, then sing that way. BUT! You have a wonderful voice the way I hear it, so follow your unique artistic vision- which may not be the same as your drummer!
Well thank you!! - I do most of these clips in one session in Pro Tools, and I've pretty much been copying the same reverb send across all the tracks, which is going to a bus with a UAD EMT140 plate verb plugin. See the pic for the settings. I'm doing all of this in a treated converted spare bedroom, so the raw clips are generally pretty dry.

Thanks, re: my voice!! I don't plan on changing my vocal delivery - authenticity is important to me. I'm still using the 67 Reissue on several of the tracks for lead vocals. I'm not pursuing all-out distortion, or going super Lo-Fi; just a little more 'dust', like an old school record (think a little more Hozier/Black Keys instead of, say, Justin Bieber? Lol). That's why the REDD wasn't really the right vibe for me, even though it's a cool mic. But the 67 has plenty of character anyway (it is a retro tube design, after all), so I've mainly just been adding slap delays and other stuff like that to give it a bit of gritty attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
In any event, let me know when you finish your project-so I can buy a copy. (CD if available).

Thanks, Chris
Cheers Chris! Will do. It'll be out some time mid next year. I'll probably do CDs; we're still sussing out the release strategy.

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler REDD mic next to a vintage U87-screenshot-2018-12-21-19.15.16.jpg  
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

I knew B HAD to be a Rode NT1-A!
Chris
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

So when’s the reveal?
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I knew B HAD to be a Rode NT1-A!
Chris
Quote:
So when’s the reveal?
A = 77DX through an AEA RPQ500 with heaps of top end added at about like 8/9kHz.
B = 1970s Unidyne III 545S through the MA5

*(See pics. The preamps were set as shown)

For those who don't know, the 545 is basically a US-made SM57, except it sounds waaaay better than any 57 I've ever used. Obviously there's no comparison with the 67. But I had to share samples, because of how impressed I was! They're like $100 on eBay!!! Mine was maybe $150, but came with a stand, cable and case. This thing sounds cool! Way more so than my two modern 57s (even the one with the TAB transformer mod) or SM7b. I feel like it has more of that Springsteen's Nebraska/Bon Iver/Sufjan Stevens mojo than any modern Shure stuff I've tried. IMO it imparts kind of a 'Faded Photo I Found In A Shoebox In The Attic'/'My Favourite Old Record' quality to the source. I think you could definitely make a really interesting, vibey, listenable track with it.

Personally, I actually love the 77 as well! Haha. However, I've mainly been using it with the MA5 (with no top boost), and we used the one in the studio with a Neve 1066 on one of the tracks. It works really well where you want a retro sounding vocal that sits nicely in the mix with really 'brown', forward mids that keep the vocal intelligible without sacrificing smoothness. I got the RPQ because I was curious to see what would happen if I added more air to the ribbon warmth. But perhaps I need to play with the settings more, hehe.

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler REDD mic next to a vintage U87-mic-b.jpg   Chandler REDD mic next to a vintage U87-pres.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Thx for the reveal Kroc! Nice on the Unidyne. I’ve got a 545s too and really love that mic. Definitely better sounding than 57’s (and SM7B’s too IMO). Mine lives on guitar cabinet though. They also sound really good on acoustic guitar. Does that MA5 not sound great with anything? Lol
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If we're guessing, then I'd make the wild guess that:

A- RCA 77
B- SM7b
Quote:
Sounds like an sm57.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
A = 77DX through an AEA RPQ500 with heaps of top end added at about like 8/9kHz.
B = 1970s Unidyne III 545S through the MA5
Nice stuff Dan! That single mic recording with a 57 is great. And thx for the reverb settings. Keep up the great contributions- they're interesting, helpful and high quality.

Oh, and I think I win...
Old 23rd December 2018
Here’s the thing... I love the AEA guys, but when you listen to great recordings by Nat King Cole or Ella Fitzgerald on an RCA 77 they weren’t recording through some pristine signal chain. It was most likely a fat, dark, tube style board. A good Nevish preamp like the MA5 is going to impart a nice character onto the SM57 which will help it stand out. Meanwhile the RCA is a little bit naked up there.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

At least I guessed the pre correctly on B!
Chris
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thx for the reveal Kroc! Nice on the Unidyne. I’ve got a 545s too and really love that mic. Definitely better sounding than 57’s (and SM7B’s too IMO). Mine lives on guitar cabinet though. They also sound really good on acoustic guitar. Does that MA5 not sound great with anything? Lol
We used the studio's 545s when doing my record for the snare top and on guitar amps next to a 121. It's interesting that they sound so noticeably different - perhaps the components mellow with age as well. Much less glassy; even SM7bs sound a little too 'hard' for my tastes, where these don't. And yeah, MA5s are mojo-machines!!!

Quote:
Nice stuff Dan! That single mic recording with a 57 is great. And thx for the reverb settings. Keep up the great contributions- they're interesting, helpful and high quality.

Oh, and I think I win...
Haha, yeah, your guesses were pretty spot!! You totally win. I didn't want to spoil the surprise.
Glad to hear you've enjoyed the clips so far!

Oh, also, when you say 'single mic recording' - I was doing the guitar parts separately, just so you know.
(Except for in that very first clip on Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
Here’s the thing... I love the AEA guys, but when you listen to great recordings by Nat King Cole or Ella Fitzgerald on an RCA 77 they weren’t recording through some pristine signal chain. It was most likely a fat, dark, tube style board. A good Nevish preamp like the MA5 is going to impart a nice character onto the SM57 which will help it stand out. Meanwhile the RCA is a little bit naked up there.
That's very true. It might be better suited to the AEA ribbons, too. I should just go for an RCA or Ampex tube pre one day for the 77. I'll post a few clips of the 77 into the MA5 vs the RPQ.

_______

Alright, so nobody can accuse me of hijacking my own thread, here's some more REDD-related stuff:

I decided to take the REDD out again today and play around with it. This time, I plugged it into my Apollo with an XLR directly into one of the mic inputs with the pad on and no added gain.
For whatever reason, I think it's sounding thicker/less harsh/sibilant and anaemic this way. Perhaps it's the 5.4k impedance versus the 10k going into line. I'm really not sure what's different other than that. Only catch is that I can't patch it through compression on the way in with it set up like this.

I did this live recording of 'Broken Halos' by Chris Stapleton with the REDD on vocals and the 67 RI on guitar in Fig-8. I ran the REDD through my Retro STA afterwards just for fun. But aside from that, no processing except for time-alignment and a bit of de-essing on the REDD. And some verb, added with a Bricasti M7 this time (Sunset Chamber).

Broken Halos - REDD + 67 by Dan Krochmal | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thoughts?

-Dan
Old 24th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
That's very true. It might be better suited to the AEA ribbons, too. I should just go for an RCA or Ampex tube pre one day for the 77. I'll post a few clips of the 77 into the MA5 vs the RPQ.
I learned this hard way with my Altec 639A. I kept using preamps with high Z ratings. At some point I got a hold of the manual and realized that the Ohm rating was 40. The newer AEAs have an impedance rating of 200, which makes sense that they need the high Z rating, but my altec actually needed a low Z rating to sound optimal. The RCA 77 has a few different impedance ratings depending it can be set at and you’d need to know which your mic is set at in order to optimally pair it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search