The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio BM15A, Quested VS2108 or Event Opal for mid fields
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Addict

Dynaudio BM15A, Quested VS2108 or Event Opal for mid fields

Hello,

I am on looking to add a pair of mid field monitors to my studio. Currently I am using the Amphion One18. I would like a second pair just to jam to at high volumes on occasion. Would like something that is under $3K on the used market that has excellent bass extension and a wide sweet spot. Here are the contenders:

Dynaudio BM15A
Quested VS2108
Event Opal

What would you choose or maybe something I havent thought of.

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear
With the kind of music you do, certainly not the BM15...
You could add sub to the one18
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Addict

Frederic,
Funny you mention the sub, I actually run the One 18s with a sub right now. Just wanted something different, mostly as a tracking/jam to at louder volumes speaker.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

By most considerations, including mine, those are all nearfields. Just full range nearfields.

Of those, the Quested and Event are the leaders. I'd say the Quested has a wider horizontal dispersion.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for the tips. Are the BM15As just too bright or not great mid range representation compared to the Quested and Events?
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Years ago, I used to work in a 5.1 room with 5 x BM15A. They have a subdued midrange "hole" that you have to be aware of. You have to know it otherwise you'll end up pushing that area. That's particularly hard to deal with/gauge for vocals. The Questeds are more uniform.

Since you are buying used, some things to be aware of:

Questeds: make sure the tweeter isn't damaged. People tend to push the soft dome down and use tape to pull it back out all the time. They are very easy to get crushed due to their positioning (and no protection.) The other thing is make sure the tweeters "match." Play pink noise through each speaker separately and make sure they sound the same (especially in the tweeter range.) People will replace tweeters (see my first point) in only one speaker and end up with speakers that don't sound uniform. Also, their amps get very warm to touch (as in warm enough you don't want to touch them until they cool down.) Nothing to worry about -- that's normal for them and they'll go for years and years just fine.

Event Opals: Seems you either end up with a rock solid one or a lemon. Check for rattle and port noise (at healthy and louder levels -- especially since that is what you are looking for.) Check for hiss with no signal being sent to it. In general, all active speakers have some noise when no signal is being sent (due to the active crossovers), but it shouldn't be audible from 2ft. You should need to put your ears up against the speaker to hear anything. Some Opals it is audible. If you don't have any of these problems, you have one of the good ones and won't have any issues (they won't develop later.)

Last edited by pentagon; 31st March 2018 at 07:09 AM..
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Opals or add a sub to one18 but if you want loud and still accurate I’d go opals
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

I have the BM15As, and do an eclictic mix of genres. I find them to be very enjoyable to mix on. I enjoy the fullness of them, and yet, I find my mixes are translating better than ever on them.

Can’t compare to the others, but very happy with the Dyns.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett View Post
Are the BM15As just too bright or not great mid range representation compared to the Quested and Events?
It's been years since I auditioned these models, but I remember at the time feeling the Questeds were superior, more accurate and balanced monitors overall, including the all-important mid-range, than the BM15s.

(Events didn't exist back then, or at least not the Opals, there was a 20/20bas or something.)

That said, for simply 'jamming at high volumes' you might find the BM15s enjoyable to have in the room - they're quite efficient and have a 'big-box' sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search