The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overheads AKG c414uls vs Beyer MC930
Old 23rd March 2018
Here for the gear
Overheads AKG c414uls vs Beyer MC930

I've been using c414's on overheads for a long while now, and I'm wanting to change it up.
I thought about picking up a pair of SDC's since my tracking room is smaller (450sqft with 10ft ceilings).
I'd like to pick up a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's, but never used them. Overheads wouldn't be there only application either.
I've used KM184's in a different studio; they're nice but $600 more.

Any thoughts?
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've never directly compared the mc 930s and the km 184, but used both and own the mc 930s...
I'll post a clip of them on overheads tomorrow when i'm back in the studio.
They are great bang for the buck.
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a clip of the MC930s as overheads, spaced pair above the cymbals, Soundskulptor MP66 as pres and a touch of an SSL comp clone, no EQ.
This was a live tracking at my studio, guitar and bass amps and PA speakers for vocals and keys were right next to the drum set.
Attached Files

Live Tracking MC930 OverAB.mp3 (1.46 MB, 2081 views)

Last edited by rasmus; 27th March 2018 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: Something was wrong with the upload...
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

fixed the link
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

MC930's are much more useful than KM184's IMO.

Good as overheads, on percussion, amps, vocals, room mics. They are focused, but more forgiving than 184's. They are my main overheads in my small tracking room.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzishun View Post
I've been using c414's on overheads for a long while now, and I'm wanting to change it up.
I thought about picking up a pair of SDC's since my tracking room is smaller (450sqft with 10ft ceilings).
I'd like to pick up a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's, but never used them. Overheads wouldn't be there only application either.
I've used KM184's in a different studio; they're nice but $600 more.

Any thoughts?
i'd consider this to be a downgrade - can't think of any reason why someone would want to do this.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'd consider this to be a downgrade - can't think of any reason why someone would want to do this.
I just want to change things up and have different tools available. Don’t get me wrong, the c414’s have been great and they’ll continue to get plenty of use.

I ended up purchasing the MC930’s a few days ago for $750, and are in the mail.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

new toys cannot hurt :-)

(out of the akg mics, i've been using the c460/ck61 as overheads and the ck63 for hats a lot, prefer them over c451 and sometimes over the c414b-uls)
Old 27th March 2018
I have c414’s and MC930’s.

Both are good on overheads. C414’s obviously offer a lot more options.

The MC930’s ARE exceptional mics and I chose them over km184’s because they are less harsh/brittle in my opinion.

I think it’s good to have both -
However, you can/will get pretty similar results with them.

If you really want to mix it up I’d recommend a pair of ribbons for a different flavor on overheads.

The Stager sr-2n is affordable as a pair, and close to the price of the mc930’s. The cascade vinjet with lundahl transformers are also good for overheads, and not too far out of the price range.

I know you were asking specifically about the Beyers but thought I’d offer this suggestion anyway.
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
If you really want to mix it up I’d recommend a pair of ribbons for a different flavor on overheads.
I have a Royer R-101. Would like to get another for OH’s in the future. I had some drums tracked a while back with a pair of SF-1’s overhead into a pair of API312’s. Holy crap did those tracks sound good. But that room was a hell of a lot nicer than mine.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Head

YouTube (930s in use)

930s are great mics, but not very different from 414s in that application (obvs the 414s are more versatile). Whenever I've had 414s in the studio, I've always picked the 930s - however, OHs are all I use them for. Still had them for 10 years now and never considered selling them, so guess that says something.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Maniac
In my small room 414s picked up too much room over the drums. The move to AKG 460/61s was an improvement, the move to beyerdynamic m160s, better yet.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
In my small room 414s picked up too much room over the drums. The move to AKG 460/61s was an improvement, the move to beyerdynamic m160s, better yet.
that's a nice progression and makes sense in a small room - everyone should have ribbon mics!

p.s. did you try the 414 (b-uls i hope?!) as mono overhead?
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

p.s. did you try the 414 (b-uls i hope?!) as mono overhead?
They were black 414EB and are sold now. Now that you mention it, some of the 414 mono drum stuff worked better than the xy
Old 22nd November 2018
Hello. Curious if anyone can compare the mc930s to the above mentioned akg c460/61? I have one of the akg's and like it but still really feel like I want a pair of 930s. OH would be main usage in small room but would try on other instruments too. I'm also leaning towards getting a pair of ribbons like the biv's since I also have a pair of line audio cm3's. I'm thinking those are prob not too different from the 930s... thanks
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

Kind of an old thread, but I just want to say, I’m not a fan of the Beyers. Didn’t like them as overheads, didn’t like them on cello. Never made it to AG, but I suspect similar results. Not bad but I was very underwhelmed, and honestly kind of surprised based on all the endless love they get here. Maybe I’ll buy some of those mics you all hate and find a new forum.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Kind of an old thread, but I just want to say, I’m not a fan of the Beyers. Didn’t like them as overheads, didn’t like them on cello. Never made it to AG, but I suspect similar results. Not bad but I was very underwhelmed, and honestly kind of surprised based on all the endless love they get here. Maybe I’ll buy some of those mics you all hate and find a new forum.
I'm considering the beyers. What specifically was underwhelming about them? Do you have other ribbons your prefer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
I'm considering the beyers. What specifically was underwhelming about them? Do you have other ribbons your prefer?
I just didn’t find their frequency response pleasing to me. You may like them, but I prefer my sm81s for flat natural capture, and I did buy a pair of km184s recently. I find them much more sonically pleasing than the mc930s... go figure.

My friend who actually owns the Beyers sometimes still prefers his RØDE nt55s!?! I wouldn’t go that far, but the Beyers are definitely a regrettable purchase for him. Come to think of it, he let me borrow those mics before telling me he hated them, so we both came to this conclusion independently. Not sure if he found the off axis pick up troublesome as I did, but I am much happier with my SDCs than with those. Just my opinion based on my experience with them, on a couple different sources, in a few different rooms.

They might be exactly what you are looking for though, plenty of people love them. If money is tight, you may want to buy them used so you can sell them without a loss if they don’t suit you.

Best
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzishun View Post
I just want to change things up and have different tools available. Don’t get me wrong, the c414’s have been great and they’ll continue to get plenty of use.

I ended up purchasing the MC930’s a few days ago for $750, and are in the mail.
Octava Mc102s are a nice cheap compliment to the 414s. Great on OH’s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
Octava Mc102s are a nice cheap compliment to the 414s. Great on OH’s.
Could you provide some context to their greatness? Like compared to what, on what sources, environments, etc..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Could you provide some context to their greatness? Like compared to what, on what sources, environments, etc..
They are one of the best cheap sdc out there. I liked them and used them mainly on OHs. They're somewhat in the vein of km84 which I truly love for OH. If you got a pair of say 414 or km84 the oktava could be used for spot mics etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search