The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$3K Channel strip for VO/Webinar/Training videos
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac

$3K Channel strip for VO/Webinar/Training videos

Hi everyone,
We are filming marketing videos for an internet marketing company and so far we have a pretty decent signal chain. TLM 103 ---> Apogee Element interface ---> 2017 iMac pro ---> Yamaha HS7's. I would love to add a nice channel strip though. We purchased a Manley Core but it was DOA :/ so we are sending that back. We found a little extra budget too, so we are strongly considering the Manley Voxbox... But I've also heard good things about the Neve Shelford and others around our budget of $3000 US. It doesn't necessarily have to be a channel strip. I'm fine buying separate Pre, Comp and EQ. We just need the most bang for our buck. $3000 is where we wanna be max.

We film high energy marketing videos, voiceovers and interviews, BUT I also am composing music for this project and a channel strip that's great with instruments is a plus. But voice work is the biggest consideration.

I really appreciate any input!

Thanks ☮️

Edit: We also frequently use a Sennheiser lav mic. Can't remember what model but it's about $1K. Very important piece of gear for us.

Last edited by eLUX; 16th March 2018 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Drop the mic...
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

I would have thought for that kind of application and budget the Focusrite 430 MkII would be a good choice as it includes an analog de-esser on the strip.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I would have thought for that kind of application and budget the Focusrite 430 MkII would be a good choice as it includes an analog de-esser on the strip.
Ya that's looks like a sweet option as well.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Maniac

If you're using the tlm 103 you might be better with the portico 2 for times when you want a de esser.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Look for a Presonus ADL 700 and get some NOS tubes and be set.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Universal Audio LA 610 mkii
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joestudio View Post
If you're using the tlm 103 you might be better with the portico 2 for times when you want a de esser.
Wow ya the Portico seems great! Might be the winner.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Guy View Post
Universal Audio LA 610 mkii
I've used this a lil bit. Had a chance to record with it and an Avalon 737 in the same session. I kinda dug the Avalon more, but it wasn't a VO session. I'm guessing you've used it a lot for VO lol
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Look for a Presonus ADL 700 and get some NOS tubes and be set.
It's a good one eh? Man I didn't know Presonus made this kind of stuff lol
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLUX View Post
I've used this a lil bit. Had a chance to record with it and an Avalon 737 in the same session. I kinda dug the Avalon more, but it wasn't a VO session. I'm guessing you've used it a lot for VO lol
I have owned all three. For the TLM 103 I thought the 610 was the best match. And yes it was for VO.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Guy View Post
I have owned all three. For the TLM 103 I thought the 610 was the best match. And yes it was for VO.
Have you used the Neve Portico or Shelford? Or the Manley Voxbox?
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

No experience with any of those
Old 19th March 2018
For around 3K you could piece together a really nice small 500 series setup.

Tons of flexibility and options

Perhaps something like this:
RND Portico 517 (mic pre with compressor + silk)
SPL DeS Deesser
RND 551 Inductor EQ
Radial Workhorse Cube 3 slot 500 series chassis

....or pretty much any combination you want.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I haven't used this, nor did I hear much about it, but if I were in the market for a strip I sure would have a closer look at it:

Tegeler Audio Manufaktur
Old 21st March 2018
500 series nutjob

I love the 500 format but that said we have, use and love the A-DESIGNS VENTURA. add a versatile comp and your cook-en.

the 500 format have the most to offer IMHO.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear
I know you bought the shelford channel now, but don't feel you could go wrong with that OR the portico II Channel.

Bear in mind both have cleaner/larger power supplies/rails than the 500 series stuff (which depending on the rack you're using can often affect things). +/- 36v in Portico II (= 74v) & +/-24v in Shelford (= 48v) , while the portico 500/lunchbox series and non shelford smaller separates have lower VRs, like all 500 series with the PSU budget/constraints. Something like +/- 15v or 16v.

I'm not really into the 500/lunchbox format myself for a variety of (small) reasons inc ergonomics, power and signal chain but they sure allow for some fun mix/match shenanigans.

Portico II channel is super high quality, flexible, class in a box. Shelford is its slightly wilder, if slightly less flexible (EQ and maybe compressor) brother.

Both top quality!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search