The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Pulse pultec 500 vs IGS RB500me 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

2 Pulse pultec 500 vs IGS RB500me

Hello. I've been doing some research on this IGS stereo eq unit. It looks pretty cool. I'm just curious if anyone has done a shootout comparing it with 2 of the new mono pultecs from Pulse. I would be using it on the 2 bus and for mastering duties. Ive already looked at the other threads here and no one has really answered this question. Hopefully there isn't too much of a sound difference. The IGS sounds great in the promotional video I watched and is about half the price of 2 mono units. Who can breakdown the differences between these 2 options? Thanks in advance!
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Personally I found that the IGS single channel module sounded....well pretty crap to be honest.

I haven't tried the stereo version.

I do own some pulse gear and it is top notch
Old 14th March 2018
I haven’t had the chance to compare. I do hear amazing things about the new Pulse products from people I respect. On the IGS though, something sounds like there may have been a technical issue with the EQ with the poster’s unit above? IGS Pultec type offerings are generally clean and neutral to my ears. Twist the knob and it sounds like the source was that way from the start so to speak. We’ve sold a ton of them, especially the stereo unit (it and the mono are very close), only positive feedback that I’m aware of.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkThanAMug View Post
Hello. I've been doing some research on this IGS stereo eq unit. It looks pretty cool. I'm just curious if anyone has done a shootout comparing it with 2 of the new mono pultecs from Pulse. I would be using it on the 2 bus and for mastering duties. Ive already looked at the other threads here and no one has really answered this question. Hopefully there isn't too much of a sound difference. The IGS sounds great in the promotional video I watched and is about half the price of 2 mono units. Who can breakdown the differences between these 2 options? Thanks in advance!
I have the IGS and in the past owned the JLM PEQ500, and that was a while ago. I haven't tried the pulse you talk of.

If you're talking for master bus duties, the IGS is you're best bet. Why? Because dialing a 500 series Pultec in two mono units, and having them matched is time consuming.

My experience (and my memory has to stretch back) - the JLM being passive, was a really amazing unit. It could add accurate density in the lows and the highs just absolutely shone. I had to sell it years ago, due to finances. When it came to getting a master bus Pultec this time around, the IGS was there, and because of experience it made sense to use it. Is it as good as the JLM? Well, that's a matter of taste and chain.

The JLM was super clean and powerful, and for the things I master (Dance and BEats) it was perfect. I could dial in super sharp kicks and add lush highs.

The IGS is more saturated, and not as sharp in creating low end points. (I think the the band component on JLM controls the bass as well. I could be wrong). It has a similar effect, but is definitely more "coloured", but it's functionality is great for mastering. One set of controls is gold.

Though the JLM unit isn't the same you talk of, I'm trying to illustrate I chose the IGS over my previous unit because it served my needs best in the realm of master buss. I wouldn't go back. If JLM made a stereo, I'd get one. I probably wouldn't sell the IGS at the same time. I like it's weight/colour. It can be too much sometimes, the highs rarely are. The highs colour softly when boosted as opposed to, sweetly with the JLM Pultecs.

I'd say the IGS regardless of sound. In this case functionality is important.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
I have the IGS and in the past owned the JLM PEQ500, and that was a while ago. I haven't tried the pulse you talk of.

If you're talking for master bus duties, the IGS is you're best bet. Why? Because dialing a 500 series Pultec in two mono units, and having them matched is time consuming.

My experience (and my memory has to stretch back) - the JLM being passive, was a really amazing unit. It could add accurate density in the lows and the highs just absolutely shone. I had to sell it years ago, due to finances. When it came to getting a master bus Pultec this time around, the IGS was there, and because of experience it made sense to use it. Is it as good as the JLM? Well, that's a matter of taste and chain.

The JLM was super clean and powerful, and for the things I master (Dance and BEats) it was perfect. I could dial in super sharp kicks and add lush highs.

The IGS is more saturated, and not as sharp in creating low end points. (I think the the band component on JLM controls the bass as well. I could be wrong). It has a similar effect, but is definitely more "coloured", but it's functionality is great for mastering. One set of controls is gold.

Though the JLM unit isn't the same you talk of, I'm trying to illustrate I chose the IGS over my previous unit because it served my needs best in the realm of master buss. I wouldn't go back. If JLM made a stereo, I'd get one. I probably wouldn't sell the IGS at the same time. I like it's weight/colour. It can be too much sometimes, the highs rarely are. The highs colour softly when boosted as opposed to, sweetly with the JLM Pultecs.

I'd say the IGS regardless of sound. In this case functionality is important.
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. You have me a little curious about the JLMs now... Which opamps did you have in yours? 99v or hybrid?
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Hmmm so i just heard about the Tk-lizer last night also, now I'm really torn as to which way to go. That mid-side capability it has is very intriguing. Such a tough choice now!

A little more info: Here is the rest of the chain I'll be using. Maybe that will help identify any weak spots the new eq will cover. Vocals will be U87ai/U67 Max Mod -> HA73jr -> Avedis E27 -> Serpent Splice -> Lyra 2. Instruments and drums are all ITB. I want to send the 2 mix out of the Lyra -> Stam SA-4000+ -> [insert new eq here] -> Handsome Zulu -> back into Lyra.

I don't wanna overdo it with all the transformers in the signal path and soften up the sound too much. If the IGS is more saturated sounding maybe I am better off getting something cleaner like the JLM (though i definitely would prefer the single set of controls)? Am I even looking at the right type of eq (pultec) for this scenario? Or would the TK or maybe even a pair of Maag EQ4s cover my needs? I'm probably just overthinking this... Thanks
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear
That is an extremely nice chain! I think the TK'lizer may provide the most flexibility. I demoed one and it sounded great. Sent it back for my personal reasons. Demoed the igs rb500me and didn't like what it did to my midrange.

Quote:
Hmmm so i just heard about the Tk-lizer last night also, now I'm really torn as to which way to go. That mid-side capability it has is very intriguing. Such a tough choice now!

A little more info: Here is the rest of the chain I'll be using. Maybe that will help identify any weak spots the new eq will cover. Vocals will be U87ai/U67 Max Mod -> HA73jr -> Avedis E27 -> Serpent Splice -> Lyra 2. Instruments and drums are all ITB. I want to send the 2 mix out of the Lyra -> Stam SA-4000+ -> [insert new eq here] -> Handsome Zulu -> back into Lyra.

I don't wanna overdo it with all the transformers in the signal path and soften up the sound too much. If the IGS is more saturated sounding maybe I am better off getting something cleaner like the JLM (though i definitely would prefer the single set of controls)? Am I even looking at the right type of eq (pultec) for this scenario? Or would the TK or maybe even a pair of Maag EQ4s cover my needs? I'm probably just overthinking this... Thanks
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
That is an extremely nice chain! I think the TK'lizer may provide the most flexibility. I demoed one and it sounded great. Sent it back for my personal reasons. Demoed the igs rb500me and didn't like what it did to my midrange.
Thanks! Starting to lean towards the TK now. Can you please elaborate a bit on what exactly the IGS did to your midrange that didnt sound good?
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've got both. Very different units.

The Lizer is a Bax Style EQ. Really nice in the high end. It is actually somewhat similar in the high end to the JLM PEQ we spoke of. The m/s comes in handy for master buss, and overall it's a really nice EQ to have in your chain. I'm using it at the end before hitting the AD. The low end is a little wooly, and i'd only use it for slight bumps and

The IGS/Pultec is a different thing. It adds density/weight in the lowend, and a different kind of sheen in the high end to the Lizer, but still sweet. It does have a slight colour. I haven't found the mid range to be a problem. I could agree that it is doing something. It isn't significant.
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
I've got both. Very different units.

The Lizer is a Bax Style EQ. Really nice in the high end. It is actually somewhat similar in the high end to the JLM PEQ we spoke of. The m/s comes in handy for master buss, and overall it's a really nice EQ to have in your chain. I'm using it at the end before hitting the AD. The low end is a little wooly, and i'd only use it for slight bumps and

The IGS/Pultec is a different thing. It adds density/weight in the lowend, and a different kind of sheen in the high end to the Lizer, but still sweet. It does have a slight colour. I haven't found the mid range to be a problem. I could agree that it is doing something. It isn't significant.
It seems like the deeper I get into these units the more I feel I will need 2 different ones to get the complete sound I want. TK for mid/side and highs, and pultec for the mids and lows. I wish there was 1 box that could do all of those things well If I have to pick 1 to work with now, I'm pretty sure it's the TK. The M/S controls are very powerful (they have a really cool demonstration video in another thread here). I would get it just for that. Thanks, i really appreciate the help everyone!
Old 18th March 2018
Gear Head

Just to add my 2 cents, i own a IGS rubberband mastering edition, and as stated above, it's a stereo unit, so no matching problems. i use it to tighten and control the basses mostly and i think it sounds really good (but not "warm", i don't think it adds a lot of "vibe" to a mix, i feel like it's more focus and precision than sweetness), i use a hammer for the mids and the high (this one adds the vibe), here is my typical chain :

IGS rubberband ME ---> SSL buscomp ---> A-Designs Hammer ---> Thermionic Culture phoenix.

i do mostly electronic music with a lot of enery on the low end, so i tweak the pultec style eq to get the maximum tightness out of the low range, you can really get this "focused" sound easily. Then i use the SSL to slam the mix, ratio usually at 2 and 4db gain reduction. The best part is the A-Design Hammer, i use the 10k band all the time, it really opens the top end like none of my other gear can do, and i add just a tiny amount on the low. the hammer also has a mid band, which i do not use a lot on the master, but sounds good. Finally the phoenix adds a very subtle shine to the mix and tames the transients discretly.

Maybe you could use a pultec style then another eq like the hammer for you mids.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

So, i was pleasantly surprised today to see that the Zen pro Clipalator has some audio samples of a couple of the units I've been looking at. (I know they probably didnt apply the settings as I would have, but it helped me to get a general idea of the character of the different units.) After some critical listening, the TK-lizer is out of the race. The m/s feature is super cool, but overall the sound just didnt do it for me. It was kinda boring. IGS rb500me is out as well. It had flavor, but I can see what @Twentystaxx was saying about the midrange. It really thinned it out to me.

Unfortunately they didn't have samples of the JLM peq500. That one would be interesting to hear! I then quickly went back and forth debating on a pair of RND 551s or getting a 2nd E27 to put on the mix buss, but I started to worry the low end won't be strong enough with those.

Good news is I did manage to find one that got my attention...Elysia xfilter. Sounds pretty darn good to my ears! Definitely clean, but good. And stereo. The search continues on (perhaps for a bit more color), but that's where I am at the moment
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
The Zahl eq1, xfilter and wesaudio hyperion are interesting 500 series options for the 2 buss. Good luck on your journey.

Quote:
So, i was pleasantly surprised today to see that the Zen pro Clipalator has some audio samples of a couple of the units I've been looking at. (I know they probably didnt apply the settings as I would have, but it helped me to get a general idea of the character of the different units.) After some critical listening, the TK-lizer is out of the race. The m/s feature is super cool, but overall the sound just didnt do it for me. It was kinda boring. IGS rb500me is out as well. It had flavor, but I can see what @Twentystaxx was saying about the midrange. It really thinned it out to me.

Unfortunately they didn't have samples of the JLM peq500. That one would be interesting to hear! I then quickly went back and forth debating on a pair of RND 551s or getting a 2nd E27 to put on the mix buss, but I started to worry the low end won't be strong enough with those.

Good news is I did manage to find one that got my attention...Elysia xfilter. Sounds pretty darn good to my ears! Definitely clean, but good. And stereo. The search continues on (perhaps for a bit more color), but that's where I am at the moment
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Nut

Done!

So I ended up going with a Bettermaker 502p today (discovered it while digging around in the Clipalator). It was a tough decision choosing it over the xfilter. Xfilter does have slightly more clarity in the upper mids (at least in the clipalator mix), but to me it just can't touch the Bettermaker low end. I really like how the 502p makes the bass fatter. I produce a lot of hip-hop and other bass heavy styles and getting that big sound down low is super important to me. I do have a feeling I'll be getting another non-pultec eq to complement it at some point though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search