The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Subwoofer for Genelec 8351? Studio Monitors
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Subwoofer for Genelec 8351?

To those who are using the Genelec 8351s, do you have any experience and recommendation for a subwoofer to go along these monitors?

Of course I am thinking of the Genelec SAM subwoofers but hesitate between the 7350 or the 7360 (the other two are probably over kill for my room, which is around 20 m2).

I am mainly composing (film music) and mixing (sometimes mastering as well).

Thanks for any input!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso View Post
To those who are using the Genelec 8351s, do you have any experience and recommendation for a subwoofer to go along these monitors?

Of course I am thinking of the Genelec SAM subwoofers but hesitate between the 7350 or the 7360 (the other two are probably over kill for my room, which is around 20 m2).

I am mainly composing (film music) and mixing (sometimes mastering as well).

Thanks for any input!
Take at least 7360. 7350 is underpowered for 8351 and not a perfect match. 7370 and 7380 are of course the best option, but have tried 7360 and it is also magnificent!
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Using a 7360a paired with 8351s here, sounds great.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Head

Would you make the same sub recommendation for a pair of 8341's? Was thinking of either two 7350's or one 7360, based on price.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Genelec lists their sub pairings on their website in each product, and also here page 27:

https://www.genelec.com/documents/ca...Guide_2011.pdf

I'd trust their judgement.

Last edited by brew; 14th March 2018 at 10:37 PM..
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Genelec lists there sub pairings on their website in each product, and also here page 27:

https://www.genelec.com/documents/ca...Guide_2011.pdf

I'd trust their judgement.
I'm not seeing the recommendation for the 8341's. Since they are newer maybe the site isn't updated for them?? I could be missing it though.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for the good advice
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jndittmar View Post
I'm not seeing the recommendation for the 8341's. Since they are newer maybe the site isn't updated for them?? I could be missing it though.
Scroll down: 8341 SAM™ Studio Monitor | Genelec.com

The 7350 is not listed. The 7060 is.

Also, format-wise, the 8040 is similar, so it's the same sub as that.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Yes, have the 7360 at minimum, and preferably one step bigger for the 8351. The subwoofer integration is pure magic with the dsp Genelecs, I would strongly recommend against a third party subwoofer for them.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

When I bought the 8351 pair last month, I was advised by Genelec against the 7380 subwoofer, and was instead directed to the 7370 that I did buy. The rationale was that the 7380 differed only in greater SPL capacity at a given frequency profile, and that an 8351 pair would never play in that SPL range. The benefit of the 7380, in other words, would never be realized.

Genelec did advise that a 5.1, or larger surround, system of 8351 would allow the 7380 to reveal its colors.

John Caldwell
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'll guess that an 8341 pair would call for the 7360, but I suggest reaching out to Genelec.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell View Post
I'll guess that an 8341 pair would call for the 7360, but I suggest reaching out to Genelec.
Yes, I absolutely agree, 7370 is the perfect match for 8351, but if you don't need the full SPL capabilities of 8351s, 7360 works equally well.
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Yes, I absolutely agree, 7370 is the perfect match for 8351, but if you don't need the full SPL capabilities of 8351s, 7360 works equally well.
I guess you ended up with a pair of 7360s? I ended up with a single 7370, however I settled on it about two feet away from me on my left and away from any walls. Sounds more natural/less boomy to me that way (even with GLM). Also crossed it over a bit lower than the default at 70Hz. I seem to get more low end punch from the 8351s that way. Also adjusted the phase to 120Hz as well (after GLM), and re-added more low end to the sub GLM took away. GLM tends to thin out the bass too much for my ears. For anyone with an 83XX + sub setup, I'd recommend taking time to experiment with placement and not being afraid to make adjustments to your liking.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I guess you ended up with a pair of 7360s? I ended up with a single 7370, however I settled on it about two feet away from me on my left and away from any walls. Sounds more natural/less boomy to me that way (even with GLM). Also crossed it over a bit lower than the default at 70Hz. I seem to get more low end punch from the 8351s that way. Also adjusted the phase to 120Hz as well (after GLM), and re-added more low end to the sub GLM took away. GLM tends to thin out the bass too much for my ears. For anyone with an 83XX + sub setup, I'd recommend taking time to experiment with placement and not being afraid to make adjustments to your liking.
Yes, you are correct. I ended up with two 7360s. I actually have both in the corners behind the speakers and they work flawlessly in the corners. I have them crossed at 75Hz, so 10Hz lower than default and have set my crossover frequency via measurement with REW. I didn't need to add any additional low end, GLM did its job flawlessly. I am thinking you might experience the lack of low end due to some null at the crossover point or you might have any dip somewhere in the 90Hz - 200Hz region? Becuase usually the sub position next to the wall should be the best to avoid any dips in the sub range. Because the distance of sub from your front wall determines the 1/4 of wavelenght where you might experience SBIR issue. But I agree one must take some time to carefully position the setup, but in my case really there was needed absolutely no manual adjustment after GLM. Bass is fast, tight and balanced without any overhang.
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I ended up with two 7360s. I actually have both in the corners behind the speakers and they work flawlessly in the corners. I have them crossed at 75Hz, so 10Hz lower than default and have set my crossover frequency via measurement with REW. I didn't need to add any additional low end, GLM did its job flawlessly. I am thinking you might experience the lack of low end due to some null at the crossover point or you might have any dip somewhere in the 90Hz - 200Hz region? Becuase usually the sub position next to the wall should be the best to avoid any dips in the sub range. Because the distance of sub from your front wall determines the 1/4 of wavelenght where you might experience SBIR issue. But I agree one must take some time to carefully position the setup, but in my case really there was needed absolutely no manual adjustment after GLM. Bass is fast, tight and balanced without any overhang.
Personal preference, but in my room, I always have to make adjustments in GLM no matter where the monitors are placed, to satisfy my ear. My room is on the small side, though (15x14.5x9'H).

There are no dips in the region you mention. The only dip I have is around 500Hz due to my unconventional placement in my room. But it's not drastic by any means; very workable. My room is heavily treated with Cylinder Traps and ASC TubeTraps (AttackWall), which is the ultimate setup, IMO. Extremely intimate, very precise sound.

I had a longtime audiophile friend over yesterday and he couldn't stop listening to the very large collection of music he brought over. Of course, the best sound he's ever heard, and he's heard systems triple the price and more.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personal preference, but in my room, I always have to make adjustments in GLM no matter where the monitors are placed, to satisfy my ear. My room is on the small side, though (15x14.5x9'H).

There are no dips in the region you mention. The only dip I have is around 500Hz due to my unconventional placement in my room. But it's not drastic by any means; very workable. My room is heavily treated with Cylinder Traps and ASC TubeTraps (AttackWall), which is the ultimate setup, IMO. Extremely intimate, very precise sound.

I had a longtime audiophile friend over yesterday and he couldn't stop listening to the very large collection of music he brought over. Of course, the best sound he's ever heard, and he's heard systems triple the price and more.
This week a new version of GLM is going to be released. It will include improved AutoCal and AutoPhase. I have been using beta version and in my room it made quite a significant difference and even improved the response.

Yes, 8351s with sub are one of the best speaker systems in existence, without a doubt.
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
This week a new version of GLM is going to be released. It will include improved AutoCal and AutoPhase. I have been using beta version and in my room it made quite a significant difference and even improved the response.

Yes, 8351s with sub are one of the best speaker systems in existence, without a doubt.
Nice! My firmware is probably old, too, so I'll upgrade both.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

I bought my 8351s last year. I called Genelec and talked to them and they advised me to go with the 7370 for my room, which is roughly 5x4 meters or 15x12 feet. I couldn't move the sub around much due to lack of space behind the console, but I tried a couple of different positions and found the GLM to work pretty damn good, except for a dip in the 60 cycle range which I probably will never get rid of.

Best monitors I have ever used.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hi all,

Does anyone know the best way to integrate a pair of 7370's with a pair of 8351's?

I want to feed the 8351's via digital (AES3) signal (not analogue) and I'd like to use Genelec's room correction software to integrate the pair of subs.

What would be the best way to integrate it all?

Looking to have an idea how it would all work before purchasing. I've demo'ed the 8351's and love them but feel I need subs. And in my room two subs have always been better than single.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know the best way to integrate a pair of 7370's with a pair of 8351's?

I want to feed the 8351's via digital (AES3) signal (not analogue) and I'd like to use Genelec's room correction software to integrate the pair of subs.

What would be the best way to integrate it all?

Looking to have an idea how it would all work before purchasing. I've demo'ed the 8351's and love them but feel I need subs. And in my room two subs have always been better than single.
Look at Jantex's post #14 , but your room and equipment may not allow that positioning. However, they are very versatile with positioning considering the power of GLM.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Look at Jantex's post #14 , but your room and equipment may not allow that positioning. However, they are very versatile with positioning considering the power of GLM.
Thanks!

Hi @ Jantex , can you share how your subs and 8351's are hooked up to each other? Which cables and which sub inputs/outputs? Is there an interface between 8351's and the subs?

And how does GLM integrated two subs? Do you run measurements for each separately?

If you have a spare minute one day can you share screenshots of how to integrate two subs via the GLM software?

Would be much appreciated
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Thanks!

Hi @ Jantex , can you share how your subs and 8351's are hooked up to each other? Which cables and which sub inputs/outputs? Is there an interface between 8351's and the subs?

And how does GLM integrated two subs? Do you run measurements for each separately?

If you have a spare minute one day can you share screenshots of how to integrate two subs via the GLM software?

Would be much appreciated
Let me know your email in a PM, and I can send you GLM file, pictures.

Wiring is simple, AES out (from interface) -> AES IN (7360-R) -> AES THROUGH (7360-R) -> AES IN (7360-L) -> AES THROUGH (7360-L) -> AES IN (8351-R) -> AES THROUGH (8351-R) -> AES IN (8351-L)

Then if you want to use stereo configuration of subs, you select that one outputs only AES A, while the other only AES B (same configuration like your sattelites), becaused otherwise both would output summed mono A+B.

The rest is done by GLM...Autophass measuers each sib individually, and before Autophase you select which subwoofer to pair with which sattelite.

You need 110Ohm AES cables. Positioning will be crucial for optimal performance.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Let me know your email in a PM, and I can send you GLM file, pictures.
Thanks so much @ Jantex - PM sent just now.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search