The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha D5000......wow !
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

Yamaha D5000......wow !

Run out of delays in the middle of the mix and went to the music store to borrow one. They had a Yamaha D5000 laying around so I thought I'd give it a shot.

All I can say is: god damn if this isn't one of the best delays I've ever heard. stike

Why isn't there any talk about this unit ? It sounds down right awesome.

It's NOT going back to the store. heh
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Guru

I'm not familiar with the D5000, but I've got two Yamaha D1500's in my rack that are staying. Forever. They have a nice warm sound for a digital unit. I also like Yamaha MX bikes because they're blue and have a 3 tuning fork logo on them, so.....Go Blue! heh
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Maniac

Bob Clearmountin said once, that it is one of his secret weapons..best kept secret!
Do I have to say...I have one too!
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Bob Clearmountin said once, that it is one of his secret weapons..best kept secret!
Looks like I'm in good company.

So let's delete this thread and shut up so I can hunt down one more for a good price. heh
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Looks like I'm in good company.

So let's delete this thread and shut up so I can hunt down one more for a good price. heh
On Clearmountain's site the D5000 is described as "The best DDL ever made". You are in good company.....
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

God damn it....

First rule of Yamaha D5000 is do not talk about Yamaha D5000!

RTFM!
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, the 5000 is a decent unit (a coded message)

Ruudman
Old 9th May 2010
Here for the gear

First rule!

I agree. The first rule should be maintained!! I got only 2 of them!!
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

picked up a D1500 last week for a song - it's now my go-to vocal delay on my API FX sends

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'm not familiar with the D5000, but I've got two Yamaha D1500's in my rack that are staying. Forever. They have a nice warm sound for a digital unit. I also like Yamaha MX bikes because they're blue and have a 3 tuning fork logo on them, so.....Go Blue! heh
Old 25th July 2010
OJS
Gear Maniac

Much to my surprise I can hardly find (audio) demo's of the D5000. Maybe this is part of the policy to keep the D5000 a secret weapon, but I would appreciate audio demo's.

Anybody wanna post something.......?
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear
Great box and hard to find

These are not easy to find. I was lucky to snag one a few years back.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear
Yes, outstanding piece of gear

Just tap in the tempo, grab one of the multiple delays that suits, add in a little on vocals along with your favorite room reverb (Bricasti, maybe)............so nice and intimate. I love mine.

Totally undervalued on pricing the last ten years............although since none ever come up for sale any more, I guess the current owners have figured it out. thumbsup
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Hardly under priced compared with the typical depreciation of digital devices. They have been hyped for some time and because more people want them than units are available they go for stupid big money used (simple supply and demand). Ironically, they were a poor seller at their original price and thus few units were made and Yamaha dropped making more. The prior Yamaha model D1500 delay seems to hold steady at $150 used price and are in abundance.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Run out of delays in the middle of the mix and went to the music store to borrow one. They had a Yamaha D5000 laying around so I thought I'd give it a shot.

All I can say is: god damn if this isn't one of the best delays I've ever heard. stike

What a brilliant idea:

I think I'll start a tread like this myself (about a month before I put up my next ebay auction item).
"You are bidding on a vintage Yamaha REX-7 in excellent working condition."

Old 24th January 2011
Here for the gear

Love my D5000's

Got one second hand on ebay for EUR 250 in 2009. Loved it immediately. Then came another one I got on ebay for EUR 80. God bless the engineers that designed them. The same applies for the D1500 which is the warmest digital delay (to big for a mobile rack though).

Finders keepers. Losers weepers!!
Old 9th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yamaha D5000

I am now the owner and joined the small club of people that own one of these cool delays!!!Just got it hooked up yesterday and am loving it!!Thanks to the fellow gearslut that sold it to me here !!!!

Old 6th April 2012
Here for the gear

Yamaha D5000

I have one, it's absolutely nice box if I compare it to any one other (GForce etc).
Modulation is so sweet and and you can sync it to tempo.

But it has one strange feature, if you activate the unit to your signal chain
it drops overall volume level quite much, I would say about 30-35%.

I can,t find reason, if I change it to GForce -> no volume drop.

I run W/D/W system and I take dry signal before the delay unit and it still
drops volume.

Guys, do have any ideas why the unit works like this?
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslak View Post
But it has one strange feature, if you activate the unit to your signal chain
it drops overall volume level quite much, I would say about 30-35%.

Guys, do have any ideas why the unit works like this?
wrong cabling maybe (balanced/unbalanced) ?
Old 7th April 2012
Here for the gear

I use George L's cabling so unbalanced.

Amazing thing is that it drops also dry volume level (signal before D5000).
Old 23rd September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

Here is something I wonder.

If you're mixing/producing ITB, is there a reason one would prefer using hardware digital delay such as the D5000 compared to plugins (sound-wise, feature-wise etc.) ?

For more intricate multi-tap auto-panned modulated delay patterns for instance it seems that no hardware come close. Or do they ?
Old 18th August 2017
Reasons to use hardware....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post
Here is something I wonder.

If you're mixing/producing ITB, is there a reason one would prefer using hardware digital delay such as the D5000 compared to plugins (sound-wise, feature-wise etc.) ?

For more intricate multi-tap auto-panned modulated delay patterns for instance it seems that no hardware come close. Or do they ?

First off, I'm sorry fellow slutz for bringing back a 1 1/2 year old thread but felt the need to post for posterity as new engineers may find this one day.

The main reason to use a vintage digital delay like this is the inputs are often limited in the analog domain, and for the 1980's ones, companded (compressed on way in, expanded on way out to reduce noise). This gives a quite specific sound MUCH different from any plugin I've ever seen or heard. In addition, the sampling frequency in some units is tied to the delay time (just like analog delays with their clocks), so you can get (depending on the unit) nice dark repeats that mush up after 4-10 repeats or give you a cool aliasing effect with high frequency signals. Again, you will not find these in a plugin, and simply placing something like d16's "Decimort" after the delay line won't give that sound.

The earliest digital delays to give a longer delay time (1024/2048ms) have a sound. And when you buy outboard, you WANT it to have "a sound"... personally I own a pair of ADA S1000's, and driving the input hard while backing off the output gain is really fun and experimental. The other nice part of these digital delays is stability. You set 1024ms, and that's where it stays, unlike my all analog Ibanez AD230 that tends to drift a touch during operation (which can be cool).

IMO, a delay shouldn't be your first outboard purchase unless you get lucky and find one at a garage sale for $20! But once you've got a mic locker, some great preamps, several compressors, and a top notch reverb, NOW you go nuts on delays!

I worked with a D5000 in one of the studios I used to freelance for, and despite the "letterbox" editing (fuk does yammy like those small screens) and I can tell you it has a sweet tone to it, as well as more delay than you will ever need unless you're Emo or Lanois making ambient music to sleep by! If you find one cheap, snap it up no questions asked. CAVIET: these pretty much cannot be repaired when they break, so keep that in mind.

I hope you and everyone reading this thread can get some delay mojo into their mixes.

Best,
-Jim
Old 19th August 2017
Same experience here.

I bought a D5000 in mint condition for $190 several years ago, then bought a D1500.

Since then, I have bought 2 other D1500s.
One of my D1500s is unhappy, but haven't had time to repair it.
I repaired the other 2 D1500s and have had no further issues...
It seems that the panel controls and I/O connectors have weak solder joints that develop cracks and simply need re-flow.

These DDLs are the best... Period!

My other delays are Maxon AD999, Peavey DEP3.2, Roland SDE 330, Ibanez AD202 (X2), Ibanez DM1000 (X5), Roland SDE1000 (X2)

Out of the other delays, the Roland SDE 330 is my favorite, after Yamaha D5000/D1500.
Old 20th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Same experience here.

I bought a D5000 in mint condition for $190 several years ago, then bought a D1500.

Since then, I have bought 2 other D1500s.
One of my D1500s is unhappy, but haven't had time to repair it.
I repaired the other 2 D1500s and have had no further issues...
It seems that the panel controls and I/O connectors have weak solder joints that develop cracks and simply need re-flow.

These DDLs are the best... Period!

My other delays are Maxon AD999, Peavey DEP3.2, Roland SDE 330, Ibanez AD202 (X2), Ibanez DM1000 (X5), Roland SDE1000 (X2)

Out of the other delays, the Roland SDE 330 is my favorite, after Yamaha D5000/D1500.
I'm too am a big fan of the Yamaha D5000 and D1500. They are quite different from each other...I use the D1500s more often, much quicker to dial in what I need. But the D5000 never disappoints!
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
First off, I'm sorry fellow slutz for bringing back a 1 1/2 year old thread but felt the need to post for posterity as new engineers may find this one day.

The main reason to use a vintage digital delay like this is the inputs are often limited in the analog domain, and for the 1980's ones, companded (compressed on way in, expanded on way out to reduce noise). This gives a quite specific sound MUCH different from any plugin I've ever seen or heard. In addition, the sampling frequency in some units is tied to the delay time (just like analog delays with their clocks), so you can get (depending on the unit) nice dark repeats that mush up after 4-10 repeats or give you a cool aliasing effect with high frequency signals. Again, you will not find these in a plugin, and simply placing something like d16's "Decimort" after the delay line won't give that sound.

The earliest digital delays to give a longer delay time (1024/2048ms) have a sound. And when you buy outboard, you WANT it to have "a sound"... personally I own a pair of ADA S1000's, and driving the input hard while backing off the output gain is really fun and experimental. The other nice part of these digital delays is stability. You set 1024ms, and that's where it stays, unlike my all analog Ibanez AD230 that tends to drift a touch during operation (which can be cool).

IMO, a delay shouldn't be your first outboard purchase unless you get lucky and find one at a garage sale for $20! But once you've got a mic locker, some great preamps, several compressors, and a top notch reverb, NOW you go nuts on delays!

I worked with a D5000 in one of the studios I used to freelance for, and despite the "letterbox" editing (fuk does yammy like those small screens) and I can tell you it has a sweet tone to it, as well as more delay than you will ever need unless you're Emo or Lanois making ambient music to sleep by! If you find one cheap, snap it up no questions asked. CAVIET: these pretty much cannot be repaired when they break, so keep that in mind.

I hope you and everyone reading this thread can get some delay mojo into their mixes.

Best,
-Jim
That's a really helpful post! I agree, there is something missing from modern delays. Do you think there are any sorts of bit-crushing plugs that could help re-create this aliasing, or at least, get some way there?
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Head
For the users of the Yamaha D5000 :

Any of you have a Kurzweil KSP-8 ? How dou you compares it to the D5000 ?
And to a PCM-80 ? Of course, I´m talking about the Delay effects on them ...

I´m planing to add some hardware to my studio but I can´t audition any of the listed here, so any help will be very wellcome.

Best regards.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecTrick View Post
For the users of the Yamaha D5000 :

Any of you have a Kurzweil KSP-8 ? How dou you compares it to the D5000 ?
And to a PCM-80 ? Of course, I´m talking about the Delay effects on them ...

I´m planing to add some hardware to my studio but I can´t audition any of the listed here, so any help will be very wellcome.

Best regards.

TONS of PCM80 audioclips here:
Italo de Angelis
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
TONS of PCM80 audioclips here:
Italo de Angelis
Very useful, Thank you

Have a nice day
Old 6th June 2018
Here for the gear
Hi everybody,

I apologize if it's slightly off-topic. How hard is it to fix an input on Yamaha D5000? I'm in a position to purchase one, but at the moment it's only working as mono in - stereo out.

Thanks!

Last edited by birdman69; 6th June 2018 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search