The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1073 DPA Vs Avalon VT737 Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Nut

Neve 1073 DPA Vs Avalon VT737

Hi guys, which do you prefer? I reckon that the majority will be in favour of the Neve, however, given that the Avalon comes with EQ and Compression, is the Neve worth the extra bucks?

Also, Avalon is of course a tube whereas the Neve is Solid State, could somebody please explain to me the key difference between both of these terms?

Thank you, Denver!
Old 6th March 2018
Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenversWorld View Post
Hi guys, which do you prefer? I reckon that the majority will be in favour of the Neve, however, given that the Avalon comes with EQ and Compression, is the Neve worth the extra bucks?

Also, Avalon is of course a tube whereas the Neve is Solid State, could somebody please explain to me the key difference between both of these terms?

Thank you, Denver!
Totally different sounds. They are both great. Avalon despite being tube is actually much cleaner than a DPA. They both have some punch. You can't really compare them other than that. The Neve DPA is much darker.

Buy both
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut
If it's for a home studio, then more features = better. If features aren't an issue, tone of the neve is sorta warm silky while still maintaining the highs, where as the avalon has a crisp modern sound. There are plenty of preamps that could be considered "worth it", but that doesn't really take into account what work you plan on doing.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, I'm really just looking for something to record my voice as smooth, clean and true as possible! When I hear the playback I want to be able to say "Yes, thats what my voice should sound like raw!!" haha
Old 6th March 2018
I have the Neve 1073 DPA and I really love it for many things but for my voice I prefer my Daking pres which are cleaner and truer to the source. Based on your desire for wanting to hear your voice as is, the Avalon may be the better of the two choices for you (if in fact you are limited to only 2 choices.)
Old 6th March 2018
I would be very happy with either one. The added flexibility of the Avalon channel strip would make me go for that first and the Neve second. But if you want a bigger sound up front go with the Neve and the Portico pres is what I would recommend.
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks guys! 1073DPD arrived today, (I only have it on trial) but it's so punchy, crisp and in your face it's overwhelming
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search