The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Complimentary mic to Phanthera and KMS 105? Ribbon Microphones
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Head
Complimentary mic to Phanthera and KMS 105?

Looking to add another vocal mic to compliment these two.. Trying to keep it under $2k.. Thinking something vintage like a c414, or maybe a ribbon like AEA N8 or Royer R-101..

I have a pair of Forces and Venturas for pres. Comps are a pair of Distressors and I'm about to get a Nu Mu or Nail.. Other mics are stereo pair of Tfunk M60s, 3x Tfunk M81s, a Tfunk M80 and M82..

I record everything from rap to country to voice overs.
Basically, I want to cover as much of the spectrum as possible now, then add a high end centerpiece mic in 1-2 years.. I feel like the Phanthera and KMS are both pretty versatile and cover a lot ground, but they are both on the modern side and there is overlap between them. KMS can kind of do vintage with the Distressor and Ventura, but it feels a little contrived. Phanthera is highly detailed and 3D with a noticable texture that can be aggressive or pleasant (depending on the source/pre). Cuts through anything, where the KMS is more subtle..

If you see a glaring weakness that I don't have covered, please point it out. Keep in mind I will be adding 1 more vocal mic in the future.. A good combo would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search