The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mci JH-110A
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Mci JH-110A

Hey guys
I have recently found this beautiful little mci 4track. She needs a little love but the first problem is the reels are cutting into the deck. After reading the manual I found that mci made shims for the turntables. I was curious if anyone knew where I might find some shims for this machine?
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Maniac
Try Steve Sadler

He knows his stuff ..
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Warped reels?
It's extremely unlikely that reel height is an adjustment you want to make. It's not something that will change from the factory unless some serious work has been done on it (in which case the reel heights would have been readjusted) or some one has really messed things up (which in all likelihood you will do if you you don't know what you're doing)
I have worked on many tape machines and reel height has never been an adjustment that needed making.... unless an idiot had been there first.
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Not sure what to approach next because when I use an opaque card in the tape sensor slot rewind and forward work fine along with everything else. And from all the machines I have ever worked on, I have never seen reel marks in the paint of the deck. Any suggestions of what to test out? I also used a brand new reel and the take up reel is not bent either.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

I don't know these machines well, but....
It seems unlikely someone would have removed any shims.
Is the tape path correctly aligned? Is it possible to remove the deck and check the relationship with the heads and guides.
Could the motor mounting screws be loose and the whole motor assembly dropped down?
Could the "deck" have warped or come loose and be sitting higher than it should?
These are the things I would check before messing with shims.
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Nut

I've worked with many MCI machines in the 80's and the rubbing of the deck was always caused by warped reels. I find many parts are available on eBay. I love MCI. Nothing like walking into a new studio back in the day to an all MCI installation, it was a beautiful thing.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Subscribe to Steve Sadler's service. Well worth it, tell him I sent you! God knows who has monkeyed around with your machine in the past, so I would not rule anything out. Don't create more issues by jumping in there on a hunch. The shims are pretty common, that's why they made them.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've been pondering this.
If the scraping noise is constant then the relationship with the deck and motor needs looking at (shims, motor bolts, warped deck etc.)
If the noise is rhythmic, (ding, ding, ding sort of thing) it's the reels. The quality and "straightness" of new reels can dubious, cost cutting leading to thinner metal.... a courier dropping the box, boom, warped reels. Even just pulling them out the box by the edge of one flange can warp a new Rmg reel.
I have a collection of straight old reels to use. A 25 year old reel is more likely to be straight than a new one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search