The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 2018 reissue internal View Condenser Microphones
Old 28th February 2018
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Neumann U67 2018 reissue internal View

Hello Neumann / Sennheiser

Neumann, Sennheiser or anyone else can you please post detailed videos,Photographs anything which we can all see the internal making of the new Neumann U67?

We need to see how its made in the factory how its assembled in the factory photographs and videos please.

You are asking £5,000 for the U67 reissue 2018, can you please provide videos and photographs of how its made and the assembled in the factory?


Thanks
Old 28th February 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

You know there’s a Neumann forum, right?

And maybe I’m reading it wrong, but the post seems vaguely accusatory.

No one ever “needed” to see most of the things you’re asking about with the original, especially as far as assembly goes. Pretty silly.
Old 28th February 2018
  #3
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Hit play. This could be entertaining
Old 28th February 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
You know there’s a Neumann forum, right?
Since the Chinese hacking of the site in October 2017, the site is frozen.
Old 28th February 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Oh wow, ok. I guess it has been that long since I looked last then. What a bummer.
Old 28th February 2018
  #6
Gear Nut
 
___GLM___'s Avatar
I am much more interested in how it sounds
Old 1st March 2018
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Honestly dont understand this sentiment, there are plenty of mics that sell for significantly more then this, Neumann U67's in good nick tend to be in the £6k plus mark recently so kind of suprised its less then that. Unless this reissue is planned to be long term (which I highly doubt it will be) likleyhood is you could buy one right now for £5k and actually make money on it if you ever decided to sell it, or at least not loose much
Old 1st March 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I see Vintage King has it listed at $6,995.00. It will be interesting to learn how it stacks up to the originals. It is too bad they felt the need to sell it at such a high cost especially with the plethora of home studios these days. I guess they are using vintage prices as a gauge for their list price and I will venture a guess it is not costing Neumann anywhere near that much to manufacture them - maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to get one but not at that price. It may be the best mic ever made and if the new ones are the real deal that will be fantastic but again, am I going to hear $7000 worth compared to some other much cheaper but really good mic's? Just not something I am willing to shell out the dough for unless I win Powerball.
Old 1st March 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

I think people are really underestimating what it takes to manufacture a product to the level that Neumann does, the quality of materials and sourcing of them, and also have the kind of staff, ability to repair/service, etc. AND stay in business.

Many companies try to make product at this level, and most fail. Neumann achieves a very high level of refinement with their builds, fit and finish, overall engineering, and sonic outcome.

I’m not necessarily the biggest fan of some of their modern circuit choices but that’s another matter.
Old 1st March 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
bzone's Avatar
 

It was at winter NAMM, discussed, viewed and explained in the NAMM forum here. Ordered two, they say the end of March.
Old 1st March 2018
  #11
yep
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I see Vintage King has it listed at $6,995.00. It will be interesting to learn how it stacks up to the originals. It is too bad they felt the need to sell it at such a high cost especially with the plethora of home studios these days. I guess they are using vintage prices as a gauge for their list price and I will venture a guess it is not costing Neumann anywhere near that much to manufacture them - maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to get one but not at that price. It may be the best mic ever made and if the new ones are the real deal that will be fantastic but again, am I going to hear $7000 worth compared to some other much cheaper but really good mic's? Just not something I am willing to shell out the dough for unless I win Powerball.
Respectfully, that's not how any of this works.

The "best mic ever made" might be the SM57. But that's a lot different from being the only mic anyone will ever need. Which is a better seasoning, saffron or salt? Which is a better vehicle, a Mercedes or a Dump Truck? More expensive is not the same as "better" (although it is difficult to sustain a business selling expensive stuff unless it is very good at something).

Stuff is generally built to a price-point. Even stuff that seems very expensive, is still built to a standard. How much tolerance do you allow in your resistor values? In your machining? In your capsule diaphragm thickness? Do you match components to within 1%? 0.1%? 0.01%?

How many points of inspection do you have during assembly, and how rigorous are they? Do you do simply stamp out the goods and ship them, or do you conduct individual measurement and listening tests of each mic in a calibrated rig? If so, what is your test and documentation procedure? Is it a meaningful test that actually rejects some mics, or is it a formality, or marketing gimmick?

If you are looking for an affordable mic that uses a lot of the major design cues from the great Neumann large-diaphragm condensers, well hell, the world is full of them right now. There has never been a better time to be shopping for an affordable microphone, especially LD tube condensers.

That said, Neumann need only look on ebay or Reverb.com to see that there is a market for these mics at these prices, which are not far out of line with their historical inflation-adjusted prices. Neumann mics are expensive, partly because they are more expensive to make, but also partly because there is an appetite for precision machines of this caliber, and Neumann has a reputation that allows them to make enough money not just to operate a factory, but also to maintain an extensive design, engineering, and QA staff, and outstanding customer support.

Moreover, and more to the point, these professional tools are actually a pretty good deal. Buying a Neumann mic is, historically, more like putting down a deposit on a free loaner. You can pretty much always get your money back on a U67, with interest, even. It is that reality, which justifies building to a standard that commands a high price. The world is willing to pay for multi-kilobuck microphones, so Neumann keeps making them, and they do a great job.

If you can't justify tying up that much money in a mic, that's perfectly understandable. There are plenty of more affordable mics on the market, and a lot of them sound great, including some other offerings from Neumann.
Old 1st March 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Since the Chinese hacking of the site in October 2017, the site is frozen.
Just checked and it is working fine.
Old 1st March 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

The OP goes into high end mic threads and makes noises, having zero intention of purchasing said high end items. The OP also goes into lower-priced mic threads proclaiming cheaper mics as being useless, saying he’s had enough of them, as if anyone’s interested in hearing about his experiences that have f-all to do with the product in question.
100% WUM.
Old 1st March 2018
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
arsmusic's Avatar
Here is photos of the u67 catalog they gave out at NAMM last month. At NAMM they said they were planing on making these indefinably. When I asked about their ef-86 supply they said they had enough of them to last for a very long time. I really want to buy one of these mics in a few months. I have wanted a C800G for several years though. Realistically with what I have now mic wise I think I want to get the C800G first then this. When the u47fet got reissued I jumped an got one of those as I though they would only be making them for a few years. They are still making them. Given that mic does not take a OOP tube. Either way I do not think they will stop making the u67 for at least 5 years or so. If not forever.

The one this they did not think of with this reissue. There is no wooden mic case. Only the large anvil system case for the mic/power supply etc. I keep my mics in the wood case in drawers and the power supply on the floor in the tracking room. Telefunken USA makes wood cases for every vintage mic except for the u67.



P1020238 — imgbb.com
P1020239 — imgbb.com
P1020228 — imgbb.com
P1020229 — imgbb.com
P1020230 — imgbb.com
https://ibb.co/dwEjFx
https://ibb.co/cw3dax
https://ibb.co/j9vrvx
https://ibb.co/hH2t8H
https://ibb.co/btryax
https://ibb.co/iDR9hc
https://ibb.co/m6GWvx
https://ibb.co/j90wTH
https://ibb.co/cb41vx
https://ibb.co/eSNoax
https://ibb.co/kkLVoH
https://ibb.co/kygEFx
https://ibb.co/dasoax
https://ibb.co/gdpehc
https://ibb.co/kTw38H
https://ibb.co/dbnMvx
https://ibb.co/mVjO8H
https://ibb.co/ii7AoH
https://ibb.co/eTuC2c
https://ibb.co/cqRaNc
Old 1st March 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

One if the issues is that we now live in a disposable society.

People want Aston Martin performance in a ford budget and whilst tech has got very great at closing the gaps were still breathing rarefied air and craftsmanship to create such beauties that Neumann still make.

They’re a company that has a heritage and brand to uphold and this mic is positioned accordingly.
I personally think this price point isn’t too bad and if I could justify one I’d grab one as I understand what I’m buying, whatbid be using it for and the time effort and money it takes to bring a product back to market and still uphold those virtues that makes this mic so coveted in first place.

Quality costs in anything and this is no different.
Wiggy
Old 1st March 2018
  #16
Gear Addict
 
mattcollen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
Here is photos of the u67 catalog they gave out at NAMM last month. At NAMM they said they were planing on making these indefinably. When I asked about their ef-86 supply they said they had enough of them to last for a very long time. I really want to buy one of these mics in a few months. I have wanted a C800G for several years though. Realistically with what I have now mic wise I think I want to get the C800G first then this. When the u47fet got reissued I jumped an got one of those as I though they would only be making them for a few years. They are still making them. Given that mic does not take a OOP tube. Either way I do not think they will stop making the u67 for at least 5 years or so. If not forever.

The one this they did not think of with this reissue. There is no wooden mic case. Only the large anvil system case for the mic/power supply etc. I keep my mics in the wood case in drawers and the power supply on the floor in the tracking room. Telefunken USA makes wood cases for every vintage mic except for the u67.



P1020238 — imgbb.com
P1020239 — imgbb.com
P1020228 — imgbb.com
P1020229 — imgbb.com
P1020230 — imgbb.com
https://ibb.co/dwEjFx
https://ibb.co/cw3dax
https://ibb.co/j9vrvx
https://ibb.co/hH2t8H
https://ibb.co/btryax
https://ibb.co/iDR9hc
https://ibb.co/m6GWvx
https://ibb.co/j90wTH
https://ibb.co/cb41vx
https://ibb.co/eSNoax
https://ibb.co/kkLVoH
https://ibb.co/kygEFx
https://ibb.co/dasoax
https://ibb.co/gdpehc
https://ibb.co/kTw38H
https://ibb.co/dbnMvx
https://ibb.co/mVjO8H
https://ibb.co/ii7AoH
https://ibb.co/eTuC2c
https://ibb.co/cqRaNc
Although a wood box is not included, since the larger case will be standard issue. Neumann does produce wood boxes for U67s and U87s that can be had for roughly $130.00 new. I bought one with the black, “tube” Neumann logo for my M269c from Sweetwater.
Old 1st March 2018
  #17
Wood box or black leathet case would have been nice but the biggest drawback is that they didn't do the vintage clutches and swivel mount which really adds character to the look. Now it looks borring.

It seems the announcment of the new u67 affected ebay prices atleast for now. A few have been going for 5000€ Maybe ppl started getting nervous so it will take some time to see if the price will go down permanetly on the vintage ones or if this just was a good moment for ppl to snag one for a decent price.
Old 1st March 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

Is there anything worse than people who just HAVE to smugly remind everyone that Neumann is owned by Sennheiser every chance they get?

As if we're all just a bunch of blissfully unaware imbeciles being duped by Big, Bad Sennheiser™ and their masterful ploy to sell $100 worth of components at a 6900% markup.
Old 1st March 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Is there anything worse than people who just HAVE to smugly remind everyone that Neumann is owned by Sennheiser every chance they get?

As if we're all just a bunch of blissfully unaware imbeciles being duped by Big, Bad Sennheiser™ and their masterful ploy to sell $100 worth of components at a 6900% markup.
Also, Sennheiser's MKH SDCs are some of the best microphones on the planet and I'd use them over most Neumanns for many, many things.
Old 1st March 2018
  #20
Gear Addict
 

7 grand for a mic..seriously???? Their using their own vintage market to make u pay 7 grand for a mic that probably costs very little to make....we are the reason for the 7 grand price tag...plenty of great mics out there without hvng a pissing match and saying " i hv a u67 so im great" at the end of the day nobody says i loved that song cause they used a 67.....i remember the story that one vender made a 1700 mic that had the exact same parts as a 460.00 mic...when caught the manufacturer said oh we must hv made a mistake...so what did they do?? The only thing they could hv done...replace the very cheap electronic parts in it with other inexpensive parts.... (so that fixed the 1300 dollar diff?) Really?? And yes companies hv manufacturing costs and employee pensions etc..but at the same time do u really believe this mic is technicalky better than their 4 grand mic????..we are allowing vendors to charge these kind of prices because of our stupidity.....anyway im a gearslut and love gear but im not stupid....
Old 1st March 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraudio View Post
7 grand for a mic..seriously???? Their using their own vintage market to make u pay 7 grand for a mic that probably costs very little to make....w
So what Mic would you put against this Mic to prove your contention??

Have you used a U67 before?

As a matter of context a Starbucks cup off coffee with all inputs costs around 50 pence in the U.K. to produce. They sell for around £3 per cup. That ratio is kinda the same so do you bitch to the barrists or server? Cos I can sure as Fark guarantee Starbucks don’t give a flying Fark about making thier beans better!
Old 1st March 2018
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
arsmusic's Avatar
Well known companys can charge what they want for a product. How much in parts is in a 1176 $300 maybe. How about a ssl g comp $300 also? How much do they sell them for. $2,000 to $4,000. The thing about people paying you money to record. They could care less about your 1176 or your gcomp. They do not even know the difference in what they look like. They are not going to tell the difference if you are using a UA, Urei, hairball audio etc. For some dumb reason people care what type of mic you have. If it is not a Neumann people get weird. Maybe the mic sound 1000 times better but people get weird. Not that they can heard the difference. But artists are dumb about stuff like that.


By the way Neumann could charge $10,000 for the mic and it would still sell. $7,000 is not a lot of money for a quality mic. How much do the top new Telefunken mics sell for. How about the C800G. All more that 7k.
Old 1st March 2018
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Ive used 67's 47's 47fets 49's 149's m269's c800g's..hv whatever i need at my disposal....own abt 19 mics as well......im just saying dont get caught up in the hype ..the hype is there and is to get u to buy and buy and buy and make u think u hv to hv said mic to make great records...remember their job is to stay open and continue to make sales ..if anything the value will drop now because once the supply is readily avail then .....economics...of course then someone will come up with the argument that the old ones sound better lol...itll keep going and going......
Old 1st March 2018
  #24
Dont forget these things aren't made in china. Say the mic cost 1000$ in parts, labour cost is probably just as much before all taxes. Then Neumann wants to make say 25% , then distributor 25% and last the retailer 25%. Things add up especially doing small quantities as a quality butique mic as a u67 is.

5k would have been a fantastic price. 7k is hal decent for a classic.
Old 1st March 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post

We need to see how its made in the factory how its assembled in the factory photographs and videos please.

You are asking £5,000 for the U67 reissue 2018, can you please provide videos and photographs of how its made and the assembled in the factory?
Silly Mellinnials.
Old 1st March 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraudio View Post

we are allowing vendors to charge these kind of prices because of our stupidity.....anyway im a gearslut and love gear but im not stupid....
This one is more silly than the op wording. You kids are very funny!
Old 1st March 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Klaus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Just checked and it (Neumann's Pinboard/forum) is working fine.
You have an updated link to Neumann's Pinboard other than the hacked one that's been frozen since last October? I cannot find one.

As of today, Neumann's forum site (Teilnahmebedingungen) shows the following notice:

"Forum temporarely unavailable

Dear users of the Neumann Forum,
Liebe Nutzer des Neumann Forums,

the Forum is temporarely unavailable.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Das Forum ist z.Zt. nicht erreichbar.
bitte entschuldigen Sie die Unannehmlichkeiten."

Last edited by Klaus; 2nd March 2018 at 11:33 PM..
Old 1st March 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post

There is no wooden mic case. Only the large anvil system case for the mic/power supply etc. I keep my mics in the wood case in drawers and the power supply on the floor in the tracking room. Telefunken USA makes wood cases for every vintage mic except for the u67.
I was there at the booth (you say you were too). The mic case sitting on the pedestal to the left of the mic was wood. Kinda ugly dark grey/black tolex-y... but wood. It wasn't an anvil case.

I fail to see what the case materials have to do with anything, but hey, this'll give someone a great idea to drum up some cool 3rd party natural-wood-u67 cases or something.
Old 1st March 2018
  #29
yep
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
Well known companys can charge what they want for a product. How much in parts is in a 1176 $300 maybe. How about a ssl g comp $300 also? How much do they sell them for. $2,000 to $4,000. The thing about people paying you money to record. They could care less about your 1176 or your gcomp. They do not even know the difference in what they look like. They are not going to tell the difference if you are using a UA, Urei, hairball audio etc. For some dumb reason people care what type of mic you have. If it is not a Neumann people get weird. Maybe the mic sound 1000 times better but people get weird. Not that they can heard the difference. But artists are dumb about stuff like that.


By the way Neumann could charge $10,000 for the mic and it would still sell. $7,000 is not a lot of money for a quality mic. How much do the top new Telefunken mics sell for. How about the C800G. All more that 7k.
That's not quite how it works. Anybody can charge anything they want for anything. How many people will buy it is another question.

In general, the more expensive something is compared to market alternatives, the fewer units will sell. I am sure that Neumann sells a lot more TLM102s than U67s.

There are a lot of reasons why companies choose to release a product at a higher or lower price. Let's say I could sell a million units of my product if I charge only a $1 per unit markup, or I could sell a thousand units if I charge a $1,000 per unit markup.

Either way, I would make a million dollars net, but the second option means a far smaller customer base, which means I can offer a much higher level of service to those thousand customers. It also affords a lot more margin for error in my business model. If I make a 50 cent mistake in my construction cost estimates, in one scenario, that costs me $500,000. In the other, it costs me $500. It also means I can afford to pay a decent wage to workers with whom I have a personal relationship, versus just grinding out the most units I can per hour from low-wage workers and offshore contract manufacturers.

Now, of course, if I am selling a widget with a thousand-dollar markup, a lot of other people will probably want to offer a competing product with, say, only an $800 markup, or a $500 markup, or whatever. So in order to be able to sustain a high-markup, lower-volume "boutique" business, I typically need to somehow do a very, very good job of building a very high level of reputational trust in the marketplace.

Neumann gets to charge money not just for the cost of producing the mic, they also get to charge money for the decades of credibility, expertise, and engineering that set Neumann-branded mics apart from the slew of well-made knockoffs on the market today. In exchange for paying that premium, Neumann's customers get a couple of significant benefits:

1. outstanding resale value. You can almost always get your money back, when and if you decide that you are done with owning a Neumann mic.

2. the privilege of working with the real-deal, industry-standard microphones, and not having to deal with shootouts, mods, second-guessing, justifying to clients, etc.

The fact that people are complaining about the price is evidence that Neumann is doing something right. Nobody complains about the price of no-name knockoff mics, because nobody cares about them. There has never been a better time to get great deals on bargain microphone, if a bargain microphone is what you are after.

But of course, what everyone really wants is a Neumann, they just want it at no-name prices.
Old 1st March 2018
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
You have an updated link to Neumann's Pinboard other than the hacked one that's been frozen since last October? I cannot fine one.

As of today, Neumann's forum site (Teilnahmebedingungen) shows the following notice:

"Forum temporarely unavailable

Dear users of the Neumann Forum,
Liebe Nutzer des Neumann Forums,

the Forum is temporarely unavailable.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Das Forum ist z.Zt. nicht erreichbar.
bitte entschuldigen Sie die Unannehmlichkeiten."
You changed my quote. I was referring to the Neumann Site where you can find out information on their mics. That is still working. Georg Neumann GmbH - Startpage
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump