The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U67 2018 reissue internal View Condenser Microphones
Old 26th February 2019
  #991
Lives for gear
 

But the TLM 67 is the "married man's" U67!
Chris
Old 26th February 2019
  #992
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puke View Post
ONLY SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE A SUPERLEAD WITH FOUR 4x12s WOULD BE SO FOOLISH AS TO THINK A MODELING AMP IS JUST AS GOOD (No matter what other garbage is involved). The superlead is always going to do it's job better than a modeling amp trying to be a superlead (or a DR103 for that matter).
The thing that complicates the picture, though, is that, in order for the SuperLead to do its job, you have to record it with a microphone. Which not only has to do a job itself, but has to be placed somewhere. By a person, the most important link in the chain, as always, for better or much, much worse.
Old 10th March 2019
  #993
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Well this was a rough read, I got through all of the thread but sheesh! Still interested in getting a reissue but on the fence. I've always wanted a u67 and shoulda got one when vintage king was selling them for like 3k back in the day... Damn times have changed! Anyways I need to slow down on mics I'm working on stepping up to some burls from these old 192's... hmmm
Old 10th March 2019
  #994
Gear Nut
I was listening on YouTube to the differents between the U47 and the u67 and I was shocked
Link

YouTube

Listening on a iPhone 7

The u47 had so much more colours in high , the u67 had a fast roll off. I was realy missing somthing Is this normal?
I could easly hear the differents when the particular mic record.
Old 10th March 2019
  #995
Lives for gear
 
IanBSC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
I was listening on YouTube to the differents between the U47 and the u67 and I was shocked
Link

YouTube

Listening on a iPhone 7

The u47 had so much more colours in high , the u67 had a fast roll off. I was realy missing somthing Is this normal?
I could easly hear the differents when the particular mic record.
To me it sounded like a particularly bright U47, vs a slightly dark U67.
Old 10th March 2019
  #996
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

I bought a reissue 67 a month or so ago.

So far have compared it to three different old U67s and so far it's come out on top. I'd be perfectly happy with it being 90% as good as a well maintained original, but so far everyone who's been present for the shootouts has preferred the reissue.
Old 10th March 2019
  #997
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
So far have compared it to three different old U67s
Let's see pictures of your reissue and any of the three originals in the same frame!
Why do I get the feeling that, because there are no penalties for lying on the internet, it's really easy to make up "three". Could it be you tested your reissue (assuming you actually own one) against, maybe...one? And that one was not in the best of shapes? But three bad original U67 sounding worse than the reissue??? Sorry not credible.
Old 10th March 2019
  #998
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Most of the U67s I've encountered in studios haven't been nearly as good as my 1959s that were only in daily use during their first decade before I bought them. A friend compared a new one with one of mine and it was at least as good.
Old 10th March 2019
  #999
Hey don't fight!

It would be nice though if someone could provide with some a/b files, seems impossible though ha!

Shameless add, im selling a 1961 u67 in the classifieds atm
Old 11th March 2019
  #1000
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Let's see pictures of your reissue and any of the three originals in the same frame!
Why do I get the feeling that, because there are no penalties for lying on the internet, it's really easy to make up "three". Could it be you tested your reissue (assuming you actually own one) against, maybe...one? And that one was not in the best of shapes? But three bad original U67 sounding worse than the reissue??? Sorry not credible.
Why assume that? And why would someone lie about that?
Old 11th March 2019
  #1001
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Let's see pictures of your reissue and any of the three originals in the same frame!
Why do I get the feeling that, because there are no penalties for lying on the internet, it's really easy to make up "three". Could it be you tested your reissue (assuming you actually own one) against, maybe...one? And that one was not in the best of shapes? But three bad original U67 sounding worse than the reissue??? Sorry not credible.
Old 11th March 2019
  #1002
Lives for gear
 

Hey, the MXL V67 is better than any U67...
It's one letter higher!
Chris
Old 11th March 2019
  #1003
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Let's see pictures of your reissue and any of the three originals in the same frame!
Why do I get the feeling that, because there are no penalties for lying on the internet, it's really easy to make up "three". Could it be you tested your reissue (assuming you actually own one) against, maybe...one? And that one was not in the best of shapes? But three bad original U67 sounding worse than the reissue??? Sorry not credible.
I'm sorry you think I'm lying! I'm not. I don't however take photographs of everything I do because I'm not usually expected to provide proof of everything I've done.

Most of the mic techs I've spoken to seem to expect the newer ones to sound better than an original. Of course, you can believe X or Y about the 'craftsmanship' etc... and I know fully well that the stock tube Neumann supplies the microphone with doesn't sound very good (I've tried a NOS Mullard and sone Telefunkens all with vastly superior and different results). However most the older mics are way off spec, and I personally have yet to see a convincing argument with regards to better quality of manufacturing in the 1960s in comparison to 2018. If anything, it should be the other way round.

Unless you want to keep preserving the value of your vintage microphones of course...
Old 11th March 2019
  #1004
Still noone that a/b is willing to share a simple a/b test so people can judge for themselves. How hard can it be, really..??

That's why this is a never ending discussion. Still no need to get all offensive
Old 12th March 2019
  #1005
Gear Addict
 
bzone's Avatar
 

This thread just cracks me up.
Old 12th March 2019
  #1006
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
This thread just cracks me up.
Haha me too
I joyfully use the re issues everyday.
My last vintage 67 was sold off.
Old 12th March 2019
  #1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Still noone that a/b is willing to share a simple a/b test so people can judge for themselves. How hard can it be, really..??

That's why this is a never ending discussion. Still no need to get all offensive
a/b test???? When you get into that high quality of a mic,..even though you "think" all U67s would be essentially the same.. They are different. Each one has it's own personality. In person in a studio you are going to get different personalities. I don't think you would get squat on the internet,..and you might barely get squat on a finished and mastered mix...depending on a lot of other things.

I don't have time,.. But if I did, I would play you back a U67 on a cranked hiwatt,.. and a sm57 on a cranked hiwatt playing the same session, same song, same take,.. And all you would realize is that...you would be really lucky to tell the difference between the two ( raw, before mixdown). Of course,.. that would be less true if you were recording other instruments with wider frequency ranges.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Haha me too
I joyfully use the re issues everyday.
My last vintage 67 was sold off.
I have been v keen for new u67 but to be honest all that Klaus stuff put me right off. I know yours was tweaked and u thought it was a minor yet worthwhile step forward. As someone who is in Australia this is not really possible. I wonder if Neumann have taken note of Klauss and changing capsule tension on the new ones. If so, I’d jump. I guess they are kind of a closed book though.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1009
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I have been v keen for new u67 but to be honest all that Klaus stuff put me right off. I know yours was tweaked and u thought it was a minor yet worthwhile step forward. As someone who is in Australia this is not really possible. I wonder if Neumann have taken note of Klauss and changing capsule tension on the new ones. If so, I’d jump. I guess they are kind of a closed book though.
Demo one then decide.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1010
Lives for gear
 

Or just get a Bock 67, or Bock Soundelux U99...
Chris
Old 26th March 2019
  #1011
Gear Addict
 

Once the Bock 67 is actually available, it goes to the top of my demo list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Or just get a Bock 67, or Bock Soundelux U99...
Chris
Old 26th March 2019
  #1012
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Or just get a Bock 67, or Bock Soundelux U99...
Chris
I had a pair of 99’s
Brighter/more aggressive sounding than a 67 even with the roll off engaged.
The prototype 67 I heard was also brighter more extended than a Neumann.also no pad so you couldn’t use it on hotter sources like front of kick or cranked up close amp. Sonically reminded me of a 67 I had modded.
Still wondering if a final version will come out.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1013
Lives for gear
 

Yes Bock 67 availability still TBD.

The one at this NAMM, and the U99 were both perfect for my voice. (so am biased!)
Chris
Old 26th March 2019
  #1014
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Yes Bock 67 availability still TBD.

The one at this NAMM, and the U99 were both perfect for my voice. (so am biased!)
Chris
I found the 99’s needed more roll off on vocals and cymbals after the fact even with the switch engaged.
Lots of sizzle.
The RI 67 is perfect for overheads
Just sounds right.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Demo one then decide.
If only that were possible in Australia. It’s really hard here to do that. I envy Americans. Ha ha. Tried to demo one in vintage king in Nashville and they had none in the store.
Old 26th March 2019
  #1016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Yes Bock 67 availability still TBD.

The one at this NAMM, and the U99 were both perfect for my voice. (so am biased!)
Chris
Still not listed as a product on the Bock website. So I guess we're still waiting.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump