The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kii Three - what is the competition right now ?
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear
Kii Three - what is the competition right now ?

Hi,
What would you consider is the competition for Kiis at the moment if you were shopping around ? I am of course aware of ATC, Getheian, JBL and Amphion so am looking to see what else is out there. I'm particularily interested in newcomers and anything with the same level of innovation as the Kiis (narrower directivity on bass frequencies etc) and also a speaker which is able to reach such low frequencies as I make a lot of electronica,
best
Gus
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

The only directly comparable monitor is the Dutch& Dutch 8C,
Keith
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only directly comparable monitor is the Dutch& Dutch 8C,
I'd argue some of the Gethains are (cardioid response etc)
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

geithain rl901k
atc scm50asl
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
I'd argue some of the Gethains are (cardioid response etc)
I am still hoping to get a pair of Geithains here, their cardioid response is centred around the lower bass , the Kii and Dutch&Dutch create theirs around the 60Hz -2kHz region.
ATC are solid but not comparable imho.
Keith
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Head

D&D 8C would be a very serious contender to Kii Three.
They blow Geithains outta the water every day and night..
And then there is ATC SCM100 and above.. another price league compared to Kii but then again they blow Kii Three outta the water every night and day.

You get what you pay for
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear
Having tried the Kii 3 in my own room, against my Genelec 8351a, I found out that the Genelecs sound fuller, wider and have more bass, i.e bass you can hear and feel, not only hear like the Kii bass.

While the Genelecs don’t vibrate AT ALL during playback, the Kii 3 box vibrates a lot. While installing the Genelecs, i.e. lifting and changing cables, the Kii 3s are a nightmare to lift and cables cannot be easily changed if the speakers are put on a desktop. The paint of the Genelecs is robust while the paint of the Kii 3s will get scratches immediately (take a look below, on the bottom of the Kiis).

The Kiis have DSP for crossovers and internal processing. The Genelecs have room compensation DSP as well. Genelec also has a big program for bass management and multichannel if you want to add subs or more speakers in a multichannel setup.

This short comparison, which was made after hearing the Kiis on two previous occasions at dealers, made it evident for me that the Kiis are overpriced and overhyped.

The Kiis are over 50 percent more expensive than the 8351s. This is a price gap which IMO reflects the Kii audiophile bent.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks guys. I will check out the dutch. Nice to hear the genelecs are comparable. As I say amphion ATC and geitheian have been marketed to death on here so I'm really looking at awareness of other options.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

competion is any speaker that you know well!

true story: i know an engineer who has been mixing on fostex 6301 (!) ever since they came out: he needs no large mains, no subs, no speaker controller, no dsp, no external headphone amp; he takes his fostex anywhere he goes, listens at max 70dba spl and uses just a pair of closed beyer cans to check the stereo image and the lowest octave!

so again: use any speaker that you know well! and maybe add a pair you like/can have fun with or that you need for some clients.

(i love having some more umph than i'd get from fostex, so in addition to my tannoys dmt10, i'm using a k+h 805 sub - and lake dsp and an spl phonitor mini hph-amp and additional smaller genelec and quested speakers to compare...)
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarthvitt View Post
Having tried the Kii 3 in my own room, against my Genelec 8351a, I found out that the Genelecs sound fuller, wider and have more bass, i.e bass you can hear and feel, not only hear like the Kii bass.

While the Genelecs don’t vibrate AT ALL during playback, the Kii 3 box vibrates a lot. While installing the Genelecs, i.e. lifting and changing cables, the Kii 3s are a nightmare to lift and cables cannot be easily changed if the speakers are put on a desktop. The paint of the Genelecs is robust while the paint of the Kii 3s will get scratches immediately (take a look below, on the bottom of the Kiis).

The Kiis have DSP for crossovers and internal processing. The Genelecs have room compensation DSP as well. Genelec also has a big program for bass management and multichannel if you want to add subs or more speakers in a multichannel setup.

This short comparison, which was made after hearing the Kiis on two previous occasions at dealers, made it evident for me that the Kiis are overpriced and overhyped.

The Kiis are over 50 percent more expensive than the 8351s. This is a price gap which IMO reflects the Kii audiophile bent.
I tried the 8351’s after owning the 8360a 7270 combination, I thought they were good if you sat close, but further away the bass was all over the place, they don’t have the cardioid response of the Kiis or the extension, perhaps they would be ok, with properly integrated subs in a highly treated room.
To the Op you will have to hear everything for yourself in your own room.
Keith
Old 28th February 2018
Here for the gear

Grimm Audio LS1be.
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
competion is any speaker that you know well!

true story: i know an engineer who has been mixing on fostex 6301 (!) ever since they came out: he needs no large mains, no subs, no speaker controller, no dsp, no external headphone amp; he takes his fostex anywhere he goes, listens at max 70dba spl and uses just a pair of closed beyer cans to check the stereo image and the lowest octave!
You just had to ruin everything didnt you ? Aside from that I could well beleive it - but for bass frequencies I dont think that would quite work - or film sound design to be honest !
P.s. I know hundreds of engineers that use some really crappy hifi speakers from the seventies
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Head

that's very down to ones own philosophy. yes, there are producer comping up with nice mixes even on KRK or worse...BUT:
I just need some bling-bling-hi-end monitors.. that's why I had to pay 10k
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaGray View Post
that's very down to ones own philosophy. yes, there are producer comping up with nice mixes even on KRK or worse...BUT:
I just need some bling-bling-hi-end monitors.. that's why I had to pay 10k
Its not about bling - its aboput getting the right tool for the job. Of course much amazing music has been written on crappy equipment (Sprinsteens Nebraska springs to mind) but to be honest in the commercial world 10k really isnt that much ....
Old 1st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Its not about bling - its aboput getting the right tool for the job. Of course much amazing music has been written on crappy equipment (Sprinsteens Nebraska springs to mind) but to be honest in the commercial world 10k really isnt that much ....
Agree on 10k. That’s peanuts if you are a professional in any business.
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear
this subject of lovers.

Guys, write on the header of your subject : for the lovers kii speakers only.

The right tool for the job !!!! did your hear your loudness war result or have you your ears destroyed ?
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Others I am considering are Neuman KH120 with 805 subs, meyer sound (various), RCF mythos - anyone heard any of these. Applications is sound design but also bassy electronica....
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Others I am considering are Neuman KH120 with 805 subs, meyer sound (various), RCF mythos - anyone heard any of these. Applications is sound design but also bassy electronica....
forget Neumann KH120 and also 310 ..
oh you are doing bass heavy music.. then even more so
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
forget Neumann KH120 and also 310 ..
oh you are doing bass heavy music.. then even more so
even with the sub ? I very much liked the 120s when I heard them - they are also small enough to travel with ....
Occasionally heavy bass music.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

neumann is totally overhyped.. they put big money into marketing than into decent speaker design.
just my 2 cents.. and kh120 are really awful sounding

Last edited by midmost; 4th March 2018 at 01:19 PM..
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
neumann is totally overhyped.. they put bug money into marketing than into decent speaker design.

Audiophile one day audiophile allways
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
neumann is totally overhyped.. they put big money into marketing than into decent speaker design.
We've obviously got different tastes - I quite liked them - and really didnt like the ATCs Ive heard (SCM50A). I guess it depends on the kind of work you're doing as well.
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
D&D 8C would be a very serious contender to Kii Three.
They blow Geithains outta the water every day and night..
And then there is ATC SCM100 and above.. another price league compared to Kii but then again they blow Kii Three outta the water every night and day.

You get what you pay for
so you compared the D&D 8C to Geithain rl901k

ATC SCM100 doesnt blow Geithain out of the water
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
ATC SCM100 doesnt blow Geithain out of the water
they do hands down
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
they do hands down
interesting, you have compared both in the same room?
id like to know what you preffered from the scm100 over the rl901k?
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimoroc View Post
Grimm Audio LS1be.
Brilliant loudspeaker for what it's meant for.
Old 6th March 2018
Have to agree on the ATC being better than Geithan 901. Listened to both in my room. I ended up w ATC150.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Nut

Unfortunately, every monitors between 5k$ and 10k$ are a competitors…
Had the chance to test them for a few hours in a room I know well.. They do impress by their size, but way to expensive for the sound you get
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Maniac

When reading this thread it seems that people prefer different speakers. One says ATC is better than Geithain while someone else says they are not.

To me it seems pretty obvious that all brands mentioned here are of very high quality and difference in quality is very small when considering other aspects that influence what someone finds 'better' i.e. room acoustics, loudspeaker placement, personal preference and use/application.

I am convinced that even for a single person different monitors can be the best solution for different applications or in different buildings/rooms, or in different placement/configuration. Personally I would not trade my Geithains for anything in my current situation, but would abandon any brand preference as soon as important conditions change..

Edit:
To mention some competition to Kii Three:
I heard Kii Three on several occasions and I think they are very good. Competition not mentioned yet in this thread imo is:
- Barefoot: I liked my previous Barefoot monitors quite a lot and I am not convinced that Kii is better.
- PSI: A25 model impresses me.
Old 7th March 2018
Gear Addict

Delete

Last edited by puriteaudio; 8th March 2018 at 09:12 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search