The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it okay to switch off my monitors with the power strip? Audio Interfaces
Old 26th February 2018
Here for the gear

Is it okay to switch off my monitors with the power strip?

Currently using a pair of Focal Solo6 Be monitors...

They're quite far away from my desk and it's a pain to reach around for turning them on and off...

So I was wondering if it's okay to just switch them off at the master power strip?

Would this cause any damage to the internal components?
Old 26th February 2018
Here for the gear
I've worked in studios where this was done every night. I've had people tell me to never do this. Looking forward to hearing some more in depth answers.

Personally I switch off my Genelecs with the switches on the back every time.
Old 26th February 2018
I switch on and off with the power strip every day since 10 years.
Never ever one problem.

But maybe there is a difference between 110 and 220 Volt.

R.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Never ever one problem.

R.
I've done it in the US and the UK and never had an issue.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear
I've done this with the same exact monitors with a sequential power strip powering on the monitors last and off 1st for years with no issues whatsoever.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

I asked this question of my old man once; he's a very experienced electrical engineer* (military and civvie) and he basically said it makes no difference whether you switch of any device at the socket / power strip or on the device itself. Using the switch on the device doesn't make the process of switching something on any 'softer' or safer; it's just electricity being transmitted down wires either way.

So yeah. I've been switching various devices on/off using sockets and power strips for years without any issues. This is in the UK where we have proper voltage

*Disclaimer: my old man has electrocuted himself several times, once even setting himself on fire. But heh.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

One studio I worked at, we had the big mains ($100k+/pair actives) on wall switches to control their power (had an electrician put the circuit on a switch.) There was a power on and off sequence for the room labeled on the series of switches. Turned on/off every day for 10+ years with no problems. Our bigger concern was a power grid sag or transformer blowout on the grid when no one was around (it had happened in that part of town) taking with it drivers/circuits. It was our equivalent of making sure the oven wasn't left on when leaving the studio.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

To protect expensive gear unless using a good dual-conversion online UPS, it would be possible to use a mains voltage monitoring relay (like from Comat (http://www.comat.ch/doc/ur/UR_e.pdf catalog excerpt) but there are many other manufacturers), those can be used to permanently control various parameters and their [usually relay] output can be used to power off equipment (requires for example contactors or breakers with trip coils). Most industrial machines are equipped with such relays to prevent damages in case of mains-voltage-related faults (under/overvoltage, under/overfrequency, phase rotation for 3-phase, phase asymmetry, etc.). Typically there are short programmed delays to avoid nuisance trips.

Edited:
It could be added that power strips usually don't feature very good switches, especially inductive loads can quite quickly damage contacts and from there one can face all sorts of odd issues. High contact resistance will generate heat and even lead to undervoltage. Typically if a switch makes odd noises it should be immediately replaced or no longer used.
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I have one sequential power conditioner with zero crossing on/off feature!
I think is better to turn on the equipments with one zero crossing power conditioner than the equipment button!
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Nut

I swear I was going to ask this same question today but I also have a bunch of UAD satellites on a strip. Guess I feel a little better about it now.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Never ever one problem.

R.
Same here.

No issues. If anything because it's simpler that way I always remember to do it.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Been doing this for years.
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've been doing it for years - Focal Twins....no issues
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

It will depend on the electronics in the built-in amp in the monitor speakers.

Try the switch. If you hear a loud PLOP, then the switch might not be a good idea. If there is hardly any sound when switching on/off, don't worry about using the switch on the power bar.
Old 6th March 2018
Some gear have a slow startup and if you don't use the power switch on the back you bypasses the slow startup and can damage your unit. But that is only with gear that have that slower startup or sequence startup
Old 7th March 2018
Focal 6BE’s switched on/off using rack power strip for close to 5 years. Antelope Orion Studio the same. No issues at all.
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

turn the volume down first
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

I use a power strip switch, to turn on power to up to 7 other power strips, which in turn, power up equipment, no probs, 8 years, BUT...

...PCs, anything with tubes in it, and any gear listing over $1.5k, comes up on its own switch, after I throw the master, one at a time.

Anything that moves (fans), and anything that moves enough electrons to change the environment, (light, heat) causes a current surge and voltage sag, till it settles down to idle draw.

I use a meter between the wall socket and entire rooms full of gear and observe this process regularly, to make sure I stay within limits on any given circuit.

For all I know, my expensive gear is BETTER designed to operate during initial under-volt conditions, but I don't test this out with big bucks on the line.

YMMV.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
One studio I worked at, we had the big mains ($100k+/pair actives) on wall switches to control their power (had an electrician put the circuit on a switch.) There was a power on and off sequence for the room labeled on the series of switches. Turned on/off every day for 10+ years with no problems. Our bigger concern was a power grid sag or transformer blowout on the grid when no one was around (it had happened in that part of town) taking with it drivers/circuits. It was our equivalent of making sure the oven wasn't left on when leaving the studio.
yup speakers/amps first..console then aux island then tape decks power down opposite for power up
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ah, but the proper Q is....

Is it ok to use a power strip to power cycle your monitors AND your monitor controller, which feeds those monitors....
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
*Disclaimer: my old man has electrocuted himself several times, once even setting himself on fire.
Unlikely, most people don't come back from the dead several times.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

You can buy power strips where every outlet is switched. Then you can turn on each piece if needed in the sequence needed. I have a couple of them in the rack and two giant surge supressors on those. I've been switching everything with power strips for years. No issues, unless you power on boards and speakers in the wrong sequence.
L.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Been switching off my 1031s with a power strip for 23 years. No issue.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

From a strict engineering POV any device should be switched on and off using its power switch (if there is one of course) but many of us use the power strip switch. In most cases this won't damage the equipment (though as already mentioned those switches are usually not very good ones as a good power switch can typically cost more than the other parts of the power strip).

But there are also some poorly designed appliances which don't handle external powering on/off well. Correctly designed equipment doesn't care about power supply cycling, even if there's an inrush current limiting system (also in some cases it's anyway required to switch on manually after any supply power loss).

Personally I don't use any power strip switch to switch on or off simply because I don't want to damage the switch and don't know exactly how well each device will handle it. I only have very few power strips with switches anyway.
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreeper View Post
Unlikely, most people don't come back from the dead several times.
Actually 100% true.

It's perfectly possible to survive a mains voltage shock; as mentioned my old man had this happen a number of times during his working life (ask any electrician and they'll most likely concur).

But then I appreciate this is Gearslutz where everyone is an expert, even in other people's life experiences
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Head
Electrocute - word combining electric and execute, ie the man was electrocuted meaning he was killed with electricity.

I agree about surviving electric shocks though, I've had several nasty ones myself.
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Electrocute - word combining electric and execute, ie the man was electrocuted meaning he was killed with electricity.

I agree about surviving electric shocks though, I've had several nasty ones myself.
Ah! We must be using different dictionaries. Mine says:

"verb: injure or kill (someone) by electric shock."

So not just killed... hence the detail about my old man setting himself on fire one time.

I love pedantry. Where would we be without it?
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post

I love pedantry. Where would we be without it?

Making music?
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Making music?
Nah... evidence suggests wasting time on internet forums
Old 9th March 2018
Gear Nut

I even have only one main power switch to switch on/off all my gear together. (except for the lights) the switch controls only studio gear. But all at once like I said. Never had any issue with it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search