The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone ever use the Capi Missing Link w/Purple Moiyn? 500 Series Preamps
Old 22nd February 2018
Anyone ever use the Capi Missing Link w/Purple Moiyn?

I've been thinking about filling in a Purple Audio Sweet Ten with a Moiyn, Cans Module, and eight CAPI Missing Links...or possibly Eight VP28's, or Heider 312's, or maybe even Louder Than Liftoff Chromas (I just hooked up my Silver Bullet and I'm getting ready to move some guitar amps around after I finish my coffee and breakfast to start messing a bit with it).

Basically I'm thinking about making an eight channel mixer with all stepped knobs for faders to stem buses out to. The Moiyn only has one knob, so it won't have issues with recall, etc. (and maybe they can make it stepped like the ouput control on the LilPeqr-M if I request it via email). I also like the LEFT/RIGHT buttons to solo/mute. You can quickly isolate something without worrying about over-complicating things.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this before? With an emphasis on recall. If the Moiyn has a lot of headroom on tap, etc. What kind of color does it's Hexifiliar transformers impart. IE: Does it feel more in the Vein of API or Sphere...or is it something completely new? (I know the TAV was supposed to be something more akin to the old Sphere Inductor EQ's but is also "related" to API 560 Graphics). Also I'm wondering what the headroom is like.

I'm going email Purple about it probably later today, but I'm curious if anyone else has thought about a setup like this.

I'm not really interested in other 500 series racks where there are more by way of non-stepped controls. I want it to be stupid simple...at least in theory.

I'll be digging deep into it the Silver Bullet over the next few weeks. But just messing with it makes me wonder if I could make something stepped, and modular to feed into it.

Last edited by herecomesyourman; 22nd February 2018 at 06:45 PM..
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I've been thinking about filling in a Purple Audio Sweet Ten with a Moiyn, Cans Module, and eight CAPI Missing Links...or possibly Eight VP28's, or Heider 312's, or maybe even Louder Than Liftoff Chromas (I just hooked up my Silver Bullet and I'm getting ready to move some guitar amps around after I finish my coffee and breakfast to start messing a bit with it).

Basically I'm thinking about making an eight channel mixer with all stepped knobs for faders to stem buses out to. The Moiyn only has one knob, so it won't have issues with recall, etc. (and maybe they can make it stepped like the ouput control on the LilPeqr-M if I request it via email). I also like the LEFT/RIGHT buttons to solo/mute. You can quickly isolate something without worrying about over-complicating things.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this before? With an emphasis on recall. If the Moiyn has a lot of headroom on tap, etc. What kind of color does it's Hexifiliar transformers impart. IE: Does it feel more in the Vein of API or Sphere...or is it something completely new? (I know the TAV was supposed to be something more akin to the old Sphere Inductor EQ's but is also "related" to API 560 Graphics). Also I'm wondering what the headroom is like.

I'm going email Purple about it probably later today, but I'm curious if anyone else has thought about a setup like this.

I'm not really interested in other 500 series racks where there are more by way of non-stepped controls. I want it to be stupid simple...at least in theory.

I'll be digging deep into it the Silver Bullet over the next few weeks. But just messing with it makes me wonder if I could make something stepped, and modular to feed into it.
Have you looked at the Heritage MCM-8? Might be a simple way to do the same thing, with built-in 1073-based gain make up after the summing mixer. I’ve only been using it for tracking so far, and it is very nice for panning dry/processed to separate tracks, etc.
Old 23rd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
Have you looked at the Heritage MCM-8? Might be a simple way to do the same thing, with built-in 1073-based gain make up after the summing mixer. I’ve only been using it for tracking so far, and it is very nice for panning dry/processed to separate tracks, etc.
I did...but I'm worried that most of the knobs might not be stepped? (You tell me if that's not the case!) =)

Basically I want to always be able quickly rely on recall being easy with stepped controls.
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I did...but I'm worried that most of the knobs might not be stepped? (You tell me if that's not the case!) =)

Basically I want to always be able quickly rely on recall being easy with stepped controls.
The channel knobs are not stepped, and there is only a center detent for the pan. The master fader is stepped, though.
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Maniac

... a bit off-topic ... but not that much ...

Does the Moiyn sum incoming signals even from empty slots?
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Maniac
i've been thinking about something exactly like this.

but...i'm also watching for jeff's sumbuss to be completed.
Old 24th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
i've been thinking about something exactly like this.

but...i'm also watching for jeff's sumbuss to be completed.
I don't know anything about that unit. Is it a summing mixer with his missing link fader designs implemented?
Old 24th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I don't know anything about that unit. Is it a summing mixer with his missing link fader designs implemented?
i believe so, yes.

i've only seen his posts on facebook and instragram...but it seems to be in the completion stages now.

maybe jeff can chime in, pretty sure he is on this board somewhere. he used to be.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search