The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BIG test of U47 capsules and heads(also for Wunder CM7 and Telefunken clones) Condenser Microphones
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

BIG test of U47 capsules and heads(also for Wunder CM7 and Telefunken clones)

Here is test of heads/different capsules with vintage U47/ VF14

M7 capsule PVC new Gefell

www.boriscarloff.com/temp/test/M7PVCgefell.wav

M7 Berlin PE vintage capsule reskinned by S.Thiersch

http://www.boriscarloff.com/temp/tes...arThiersch.wav

M7 capsule PVC new Gefell but Lolipop grill with U47p head looks like that:
http://www.vintageking.com/core/medi...bdedd24c0a2afe

http://www.boriscarloff.com/temp/test/U47plolipop.wav

KK47 capsule vintage

http://www.boriscarloff.com/temp/test/kk47.wav

K89 capsule

http://www.boriscarloff.com/temp/test/k89.wav

U 67 capsule

http://www.boriscarloff.com/temp/test/U67.wav

enjoy tried my best!

photos will continue

and also new neumann senheiser KK47 capsule.
also M7 lolipop reskinned by S.Thiersch
if will be interest also female voice

Big thanks to Andreas Grosser

his site
(will have interesting new site soon!)

CHANGE: samples are here http://www.knotphotogenic.com/U47heads.zip
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Nice test!

New Gefell M7 seems to be the brightest. The KK47 sounds really vintage LOL.
M7 Berlin PE is in the middle. Interesting!

Does the U67 have another pattern? It picks up a lot of room!

Last edited by TheSweetener; 20th April 2007 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

No the same cardioda..
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Carloffthumbsup

Just listening on the crappy laptop speakers here, the M7 Berlin sounds good to me, also the 67. I'd love to see the photos.
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you
Tomorrow I will make some photos I like the M7 Gefell in normal U47 head the best..
here is my U 47

Old 19th April 2007
Gear Addict

I think I like 1 and 2 the best, one seems the most "there" fat and real, but 2 had some cool funk to it,

the K89 seems to show the background noise up a bit more for some reason oh the 67 seems too as well.

Nice pic.

Last edited by Cujo; 19th April 2007 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Incomplete thought.
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Addict

Was the placement the same on every take?
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

yep I tried to
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

I tried to be exactly 17 cm from popshield (royer) also pre was 1073 neve
Old 20th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Thank you
Tomorrow I will make some photos I like the M7 Gefell in normal U47 head the best..
here is my U 47
The holy grail.
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

unbelievable how many people talking about the u47 and its different capsules without ever hearing one and how few replies to this great thread...
I did the same test a while a go and ending buying M7pvc and k67 capsules (the k67 sounds huge on female voc) , I also found the k89 very cool for acoustic instruments.
Old 21st April 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Thank you for sharing these soundfiles!

I just imported them in my DAW, did a level match and listened.

I think the K89 sounds a bit boring.
My personal favourite here was the Lollipop capsule. I found it quite interesting how similar the PVC M7 (in normal 47 body) and the Thiersch PE reskin sound (with properly matched levels). I expected the PE reskin to sound close to the K47, but it´s nice to hear that it maintains it´s M7 personality that well.
I like the K67 also a lot - nice extended top end.

I think each of that combinations could be a winner, depending on the context it´s used in.

BTW, it would have been great to add a sample done with a known neutral sounding mic (e.g. Schoeps CMC64), just to have a reference to relate to.

I have a question: Is that a FLEA replacement headbasket in your photo?
I´m asking, because it doesn´t really look like a original U47 basket (as none of the 47 clones do - if you know what to look at, you can very easily distinguish an original from any of the currently offered remakes (Wunder, FLEA, Telefunken NA, ...) - never understood why they didn´t get those small details right, that really cannot be a problem if one manages to do the rest of the housing correctly.

Best regards,
Markus

P.S.: The attached pictures show how to distinguish an original from the current clones.
On an original, the very top of the grill is flat and the upper metal band of the basket looks broader with almost not rounded edges.
Attached Thumbnails
BIG test of U47 capsules and heads(also for Wunder CM7 and Telefunken clones)-u47-vs-clone-grills.jpg  
Old 21st April 2007
mas
Gear Nut

original U47 headbasket shape

Here another good example what an original U47 basket in great condition looks like.

Attached Thumbnails
BIG test of U47 capsules and heads(also for Wunder CM7 and Telefunken clones)-47-head-basket.jpg  
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

interesting...

lolipop M7 sounds lighter than in-the-basket one

sennheiser kk47 is quite dark compared to gefell M7

I don't care much about k89 sample

and I'm surprised by kk67 capsule, because it doesn't sound that bad as in some previous tests you made (where it was too bright and wierd overall)

would be nice to have CMV563 sample side by side with U47p lolipop thing
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

Yes I think it is headbasket replacement from flea- they are completly new heads with capsules made by Andreas Grosser--all of them..ofcourse her is not so many original hedbaskets to put there different capsules

Lowswing:I ended the same: M7 PVC capsule and K67 for Female voices---great really!Highly recommended!
Matucha:There is no senhieser capsule the KK47 is vintage (original one)
Lopliop capsule on CMV has more basses and some saturation/distortion on mids. Sounds more and more vintage than on the U 47 and also more in mids
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

The original basket looks best. The highend clones should have that style, too.
Old 22nd April 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULL-DUPLEX View Post
Yeah, that´s what I thought too. If you pay that amount of money for a clone, it should be accurate in appearance too. So come on you cloners, the manufacturing cost should be about the same.

Carloff, thanks for describing the difference the CMV563 body makes. Anyway, it really would be great if you could post samples of a comparison between U47P/Lollipop vs. CMV563/Lollipop and Standard U47/Gefell M7 vs. UM57.
Could you do that? Pleeeeease!

Best regards,

Markus
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

No problem I have UM57 on the way, so I will make these samples when will arrive.I think middle of week.
CMV 563 vs.U47 lollipop earlier
also for fun the same but with B7 Blue capsule))
Old 7th May 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Hello Carloff,

just wanted to ask if your UM57 already arrived or if you had some time to record additional samples meanwhile. ?
I guess Andreas Grosser is working on your UM57. That´s why I´m really interested in the 47/57 comparison as I have a Grosser/Thiersch refurbished UM57 too.

All the best,
Markus
Old 7th May 2007
Lives for gear

Hello It did but had no chance to try it yet it is not mine but of my very good friend and it is untouched yet..
Old 9th July 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Hi Carloff,

some time went by, and I thought I may ask again about some U47 / UM57 samples.

Yesterday I had the chance to compare my UM57 (with Telefunken EC92) to an M49 (among others). It sounds different but is definately in the same ballpark quality-wise. It had a bit more topend than the M49, what makes me even more curious about the comparison to an U47.

Markus
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

For all who haven't heard yet the test is uploaded
here
http://www.knotphotogenic.com/U47heads.zip

I haven't chance to make samples UM57 yet because was some strange noise in lowend,
just the mic is at Andreas Grosser for repair.
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
No the same cardioda..
That's Spanish for cardioid isn't it?
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

No, this is Czenglish for cardioid, mate.
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it goes to show that there's only one source for the mechanical parts of the clones . They all look the same . Even the Wagner ; Flea,Wunder,Telefunken all have the same difference with the original .

I saw Flea has a new mechanical kit for M49 , so you can expect to see M49 clones appearing .
Old 9th July 2007
Lives for gear

completly true..Wunder will make it 100% I guess
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

I liked the first two the best thumbsup Very smooth and interesting mids!
Old 14th December 2010
Gear Addict

Any chance you could make this test available again?

Thanks!
Old 14th December 2010
member no 666

Quote:
For about the last 18 or so months the TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik "historic replicas" have had a head basket that more closely resembles the historic design. It was a long / hard road to find a shop that could bend the metal to the proper shape [apparently it ain't easy to bend that mesh so it doesn't get "flat spots" when doing steeper angles - which I dare say is why most of the baskets available have more of a domed shape].

Unfortunately - the website has yet to be updated with photos of the current product. The company is terribly understaffed at the moment [then again - show me a small company that isn't] so the focus of attention has been the construction of microphones with a smattering of new product development. The website is in the process of getting a full face lift, which will include current "product shots" but at the moment, that project is a fair bit behind schedule.

Neither here nor there, just a point of information.

Peace.
Old 14th December 2010
member no 666

All due respect Aaron - I would have to question the condition of the "vintage" U-47 to get "blown out of the water" by an AK-47... and perhaps your experience was "session specific". What I mean by that is perhaps the singer just happened to couple with the AK-47 [I'm guessing it was a vocal session - I could be very wrong] better than that particular "vintage" U-47. It happens.

On the lack of "low end" you experienced - that issue has been addressed with the AK-47 mkII. While the company feels the low frequency detail has been improved with the latest iteration of that mic, it will never compare to the low frequency detail which can be found in a well maintained "vintage" U-47 or U-48 or one of the company's "historic recreation" editions.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search