The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 8200a Output Issue - London (UK) Repairs? Equalisers (HW)
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Head

API 8200a Output Issue - London (UK) Repairs?

Hi GS heroes

So I pulled the trigger on an API 8200a on eBay - was very excited about getting summing, but I am having some serious output issues:

- The unit intermittently outputs any audio - output working seems to coincide with the +16 LED being illuminated on the L100 PSU
- Only the right hand side channel outputs audio from either Direct In or Insert Return
- There is a low 'clicking' sound in that right hand channel.

What I have tried:

- Changing up all the leads and proving they work on other sources
- trying both the aux and xlr outs
- trying using a step-down transformer for US power and a simple travel adaptor for UK power direct
- moving the pan control (!)

The seller has been very helpful so far and has offered to return/refund or help get it fixed - my preference is definately for the latter as I have being trying to get hold of one of these for a while.

Just wondering if there are any other things I should check which may help diagnose a probable cause and if there are any recomended repair/service places for API stuff in the London area or places to avoid...

Also if there is anything idiotic I may have done/missed with my checks, please let me know

Thanks in advance for your sage advice

Cheers

Thom
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Head

Anyone with a recomended place to seek a repair for the 8200a in London?
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Nut

Have youu tried getting in contact with "Funky Junk"? they are probably your best bet
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Head

Hi all

An update - I reached out to Funky Junk (thanks dreadheaded) and they have directed me to contact HHB (- HHB) as they are the official service agents for API. They also apologised that they couldn't be of further help.

I will let you know how I get on with HHB, it may be of use to someone in the future.

Cheers

TB
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Good luck with your 8200A! Sounds like you got a good repair contact. It’s a personal fav of mine - with six 8200A’s, eight 8200’s and two 7800’s in multiple rooms/rigs. Geez, I post about these a lot here!

Here’s another...

I think these API’s are the ‘bees knees’ and API should absolutely reissue them. They get snapped up on eBay and they’re still very unique in the market as they function as vibey line mixers and hybrid studio hubs (i.e. bridging the DAW and analog outboard), besides having a killer summing bus. Most all rack mixer units out there now - and there are so many - are simple summers. No 8-channel DB25 line ins, outs, inserts sends, insert returns, aux solos & sends, etc.

@ API - please do another (limited) run of the DSM console-in-a-rack series, or (even better) just re-issue the 8200A and 8200 line / summing mixers which work wonderfully together in a simple hybrid or outboard setup.

The Box is doing just fine, but it’s also more of a ‘barrier to API entry’ with quite a large price tag. Whereas, the 8200/A’s are an easy first buy (getting a foot into API-land ) and modular in nature so they can be easily added to as one’s setup grows.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search