The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel

Anyone have this by any chance?

Modular Channel Stereo — OVERSTAYER Recording Equipment, Inc.

I think it’s kind of new but seems very cool.
It has the saturator which has good reviews and was thinking of getting but if the modular channel has a version of that, plus eq, plus compressor plus mic then even better.

I’m guessing this stereo modular grabs pieces from their other gear and gets them all together.

I’m not too familiar with overstayer gear. Any thoughts?
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

They're amazing.for tracking or mixing.
Jeff Turzo is a sonic mad scientist.
you can blow up a single sm57 over a kit and make it sound super cool.
I have 2 vertical Imperial channels here on loan.
the mic pre is Helios inspired.sounds great.
on DI synths..oh man,forgetaboutit!
so cool and just a blast to use.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
They're amazing.for tracking or mixing.
Jeff Turzo is a sonic mad scientist.
you can blow up a single sm57 over a kit and make it sound super cool.
I have 2 vertical Imperial channels here on loan.
the mic pre is Helios inspired.sounds great.
on DI synths..oh man,forgetaboutit!
so cool and just a blast to use.
interesting. the helios seems to be a different type of pre than of of api or neve per what ive read. which is interesting, how are you enyoying the mic pre and what type of diffrrences you hear between it and others?

the modular channel also has so many features packed in 1 channel strip that i feel it would cut some controls. like the comp only has two attack/release settings.
but at the same time i get MAS AND saturation. (not sure what hex is)
do you get a lot from the eq/mas/etc of the imperial channel of do you mostly use the mic pre?
Old 18th February 2018
Wow, looks great !

Maybe brilliant for Room Mics...... (Probably what Roundbage wrote with the SM57)

Any idea of the price?
More or less....
Sorry, but I have found nothing in the www at the moment.

R.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
interesting. the helios seems to be a different type of pre than of of api or neve per what ive read. which is interesting, how are you enyoying the mic pre and what type of diffrrences you hear between it and others?

the modular channel also has so many features packed in 1 channel strip that i feel it would cut some controls. like the comp only has two attack/release settings.
but at the same time i get MAS AND saturation. (not sure what hex is)
do you get a lot from the eq/mas/etc of the imperial channel of do you mostly use the mic pre?
The pre leans more API than Neve.
The box is so musical and interactive.
It elimates 5 pieces of outboard.
Not for the “2 knob” guys.
It’s s whole sonic universe.
And It’s fun.
And everything runs in parallel so it’s basically a parallel blend mixer at the end of the chain.
You can basically take the most boring flaccid source and make it sound big and interesting.
Your in LA?Call Jeff and arrange a demo.
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Wow, looks great !

Maybe brilliant for Room Mics...... (Probably what Roundbage wrote with the SM57)

Any idea of the price?
More or less....
Sorry, but I have found nothing in the www at the moment.

R.
Yeah room mics too
Snare drum,kick whatever
But I meant you can basically take one average mic over the kit and make it sound really cool with minimal effort
Price hovers around 2.8k
2 channels of sonic madness.
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Yeah room mics too
Snare drum,kick whatever
But I meant you can basically take one average mic over the kit and make it sound really cool with minimal effort
Price hovers around 2.8k
RoundBadge, thank you very much as ever !

2.8k $ is fine for this stereo wonder channel.

R.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah room mics too
Snare drum,kick whatever
Price hovers around 2.8k
Hey RB. How is it for vocals and mixbus?

About to pull the trigger on the SVC but this unit is very tempting!
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pre leans more API than Neve.
The box is so musical and interactive.
It elimates 5 pieces of outboard.
Not for the “2 knob” guys.
It’s s whole sonic universe.
And It’s fun.
And everything runs in parallel so it’s basically a parallel blend mixer at the end of the chain.
You can basically take the most boring flaccid source and make it sound big and interesting.
Your in LA?Call Jeff and arrange a demo.
Oh. I just realized the signal flow thing :-/
Slow me. That’s cool.

In price perspective is very interesting. It’s stereo mic pre, stereo filter and eq , stereo compressor, stereo distortion... which averages about $560 per “stereo module”

Last edited by gsilbers; 18th February 2018 at 11:09 PM..
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Also, what u guys think of the filter part?
To me it’s a little out of place for this type of channel strip. Seems that space could of been used for more eq/comp/sat controls?

At the same time I use a lot of soft synth so the filter would add some very cool stuff to them.
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hey RB. How is it for vocals and mixbus?

About to pull the trigger on the SVC but this unit is very tempting!
Cool.
you try the sfe?love that one on drum buss.
haven't done stereo mix yet.so far various drums di's and whatnot.
the modular channel is the ultimate overstayer greatest hits box,all interactive.
Old 19th February 2018
i have this box and the filter part is the thing that makes it different from other "channel strips". i love the filter section, but all the sections are super useful. great for everything, but especially for drums imho.

Quote:
Also, what u guys think of the filter part?
To me it’s a little out of place for this type of channel strip. Seems that space could of been used for more eq/comp/sat controls?

At the same time I use a lot of soft synth so the filter would add some very cool stuff to them.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool.
you try the sfe?love that one on drum buss.
haven't done stereo mix yet.so far various drums di's and whatnot.
the modular channel is the ultimate overstayer greatest hits box,all interactive.
Drumbus comp is on the list after getting a Titan (or used Trakker) for vocals. I'll likely grab the SFE on your recommendation.

Getting mixbus comps first that suit a hybrid setup (Silver Bullet is my only outboard at the moment) - Vari Mu and VCA. The Overstayer has great saturation options, and knowing the modular channel has the VCA comp plus all of the additional stuff makes it a bit of a no brainer!
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear
Yes I have one. Love it. The compressor is super nasty particularly when fed into saturation channel. It can get as explosive as u can conceive. The high pass, low pass filters with resonance are a super interesting addition. Jeff is a great guy. I use it on drum bus when mixing every time. Very cool. Kind of like a hardware thing that now takes the place of some sound toys plugins for me. I also use it on synths while tracking and sometimes on other things. The wet dry knobs are really useful. I'm a fan. It can be subtle as well. Only criticism is that it's so complex u can get lost. It's not really a criticism though because if u want good mix recall, u can simply find some standard working settings and then just vary the wet dry amounts for easy mix recall. That's how I use it for mixing for this reason but for tracking, all bets are off. U can discover very strange and beautiful things by tweaking stuff. All the elements react together and can reward u with unique tones. My version does not have the preamps but it has internal pereamps only used for routing and distortion. BUT the unit includes 2 sets of extra line inputs. When tracking drums, there is actually enough gain on these without needing the dedicated preamps. I use them for my tom mics sometimes and they sound great. Did I mention I like it?
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemin View Post
i have this box and the filter part is the thing that makes it different from other "channel strips". i love the filter section, but all the sections are super useful. great for everything, but especially for drums imho.
cool.

do you use the comp and eq for mix buss?

the comp is a vca and "countour" so i wonder if its usefull for mix buss.
Another user mentioned drum buss as well so i wanted to see if would also be subtle enough for two mix buss.
thx
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Yes I have one. Love it. The compressor is super nasty particularly when fed into saturation channel. It can get as explosive as u can conceive. The high pass, low pass filters with resonance are a super interesting addition. Jeff is a great guy. I use it on drum bus when mixing every time. Very cool. Kind of like a hardware thing that now takes the place of some sound toys plugins for me. I also use it on synths while tracking and sometimes on other things. The wet dry knobs are really useful. I'm a fan. It can be subtle as well. Only criticism is that it's so complex u can get lost. It's not really a criticism though because if u want good mix recall, u can simply find some standard working settings and then just vary the wet dry amounts for easy mix recall. That's how I use it for mixing for this reason but for tracking, all bets are off. U can discover very strange and beautiful things by tweaking stuff. All the elements react together and can reward u with unique tones. My version does not have the preamps but it has internal pereamps only used for routing and distortion. BUT the unit includes 2 sets of extra line inputs. When tracking drums, there is actually enough gain on these without needing the dedicated preamps. I use them for my tom mics sometimes and they sound great. Did I mention I like it?
good info.

can you also use it as a mix buss?
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Addict

My apologies in advance for being slightly OT - however looking at the entire Overstayer line, why would someone choose he M-A-S over the Saturator NT-02A? Was the M-A-S his first product? They seem somewhat redundant. Further, the distortion/saturation features are in all their products - confusing the issue just a bit more.

It seems to me the main problem with Overstayer is choosing which product(s) to buy first.

Old 19th February 2018
i haven't used it on my 2 bus as i want my 2 bus pretty clean. i get color elsewhere. i can't imagine why it can't be used on 2 bus.

Quote:
cool.

do you use the comp and eq for mix buss?

the comp is a vca and "countour" so i wonder if its usefull for mix buss.
Another user mentioned drum buss as well so i wanted to see if would also be subtle enough for two mix buss.
thx
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Addict

YEAH

Finally a discussion about this stuff.
The vids on youtube are really impressive!
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Thanks for starting this thread, I have been curious what the preamps were like and this was the first description I have read. I was looking at a pair of Dakings and a pair of Level-Or for drums, but now I am seriously considering this piece. Is it filling the Level-Loc blast out drums type of role for you guys now?

My friend has had one for months and called it "the coolest thing he has ever heard on drums", and his collection of choices is stacked.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
good info.

can you also use it as a mix buss?
I have never used it on mix bus simply because of the way I work but u absolutely could. If I had a second one, I'd use it there. The only reason I prefer using it on drum bus is that it's a bit more fun pushing things to the extremes with it. It is very high end though and I'm sure would be lovely on Mix bus. Keep in mind, in my opinion, the compressor excels more as a gritty thing rather than something transparent or euphonic. It's VCA but not much like an SSL compressor or something that can bring out punch etc. It's all good though and super useful. Again, the wet dry knob allows u to blend in the perfect amount anyway. The behaviour knob is completely unique and addictive. I guess I'm sayin, If u wanted a super tweaky compressor on Mix bus to dial in exactly what u want, this may not be it. In that case, u would probably want to add it in series to the chain with overstayer.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Curious from anyone who has used this one and the HG2. Just as far as the overdrive/saturation goes how does one stack up against the other?
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have never used it on mix bus simply because of the way I work but u absolutely could. If I had a second one, I'd use it there. The only reason I prefer using it on drum bus is that it's a bit more fun pushing things to the extremes with it. It is very high end though and I'm sure would be lovely on Mix bus. Keep in mind, in my opinion, the compressor excels more as a gritty thing rather than something transparent or euphonic. It's VCA but not much like an SSL compressor or something that can bring out punch etc. It's all good though and super useful. Again, the wet dry knob allows u to blend in the perfect amount anyway. The behaviour knob is completely unique and addictive. I guess I'm sayin, If u wanted a super tweaky compressor on Mix bus to dial in exactly what u want, this may not be it. In that case, u would probably want to add it in series to the chain with overstayer.

could you please expand on this part:

"It's VCA but not much like an SSL compressor or something that can bring out punch etc"

is it because the attack/release ratios are fixed/only 3 options?

thx
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Weaver View Post
My apologies in advance for being slightly OT - however looking at the entire Overstayer line, why would someone choose he M-A-S over the Saturator NT-02A? Was the M-A-S his first product? They seem somewhat redundant. Further, the distortion/saturation features are in all their products - confusing the issue just a bit more.

It seems to me the main problem with Overstayer is choosing which product(s) to buy first.

i found this,
Overstayer M-A-S or Saturator, anyone used both?

not sure if it helps.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

"It's VCA but not much like an SSL compressor or something that can bring out punch etc"

thx
I have only two positions on my attack and release settings. That's certainly partly why. Also the general character of the compressor seems a little dirtier which shaves off transients and saturates stuff. All this is a nice and desirable quality and part of what the box does. It's just not the same thing as a cleaner SSL style compressor where u can do stuff like increase the level of attack and push it fairly hard while remaining clean. The Overstayer gets nastier more quickly. Again in a really good way! I absolutely love that quality. I have a Sb4001 serpent compressor though for example that is by comparison much cleaner and precise. Also great for different reasons. Another point about the Overstayer is thinking about it as seperate discrete pieces (filter, Eq, compressor, saturator) is wrong headed in my view. Some boxes are like that but not this!! It is how the compressor pushes into the saturator for example that's really interesting. I'm not sure what Jeff had in mind when designing but for me, that's the strength of it. The potency of all these elements is in their interaction. All is all, this box is mainly about providing dirt, saturated mojo and mangling stuff. U can use a little or a lot. It's not so much about the attack or release characteristics of compressor as much as overall tone. I hope all this makes sense.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i found this,

not sure if it helps.
very different applications. mas is to add subtle warmth and is a fantastic di box. the saturator is a balls to the wall aggressive mangling tool imho.

ej
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have only two positions on my attack and release settings. That's certainly partly why. Also the general character of the compressor seems a little dirtier which shaves off transients and saturates stuff. All this is a nice and desirable quality and part of what the box does. It's just not the same thing as a cleaner SSL style compressor where u can do stuff like increase the level of attack and push it fairly hard while remaining clean. The Overstayer gets nastier more quickly. Again in a really good way! I absolutely love that quality. I have a Sb4001 serpent compressor though for example that is by comparison much cleaner and precise. Also great for different reasons. Another point about the Overstayer is thinking about it as seperate discrete pieces (filter, Eq, compressor, saturator) is wrong headed in my view. Some boxes are like that but not this!! It is how the compressor pushes into the saturator for example that's really interesting. I'm not sure what Jeff had in mind when designing but for me, that's the strength of it. The potency of all these elements is in their interaction. All is all, this box is mainly about providing dirt, saturated mojo and mangling stuff. U can use a little or a lot. It's not so much about the attack or release characteristics of compressor as much as overall tone. I hope all this makes sense.
interesting. thx
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
i found this,

not sure if it helps.
Thanks, Guillermo. Interesting reading.

Thank you also, ejsongs.

Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

I think you hit on something that is a cornerstone of Overstayer gear. It’s the interaction of all sections/parts. I think that’s why the gear always feels so musical. It’s as if they are instruments. People never talk about how great only the B String is on their guitar, is about the whole piece as an instrument.

I’d like to add, however, that the Modular Channel is not all grit and destruction. It’s IMHO the best ever for that, but I often use it on the master buss. The signal path of the unit is some beeeeeefy business, like a great console. So, if you use it with moderation, the inherent tone of the unit is very lovely.

In 1 case recently, I was able to recreate the tone of my high end mastering engineers chain. It was a recall with a fast turnaround, and no time to send it back out for mastering, but I was able to match the heft and body and overall character of his killer analog chain. I did add 1 more band of digital EQ (because the MC is a 3 band EQ) and I needed a little surgical cut. But ITB, I couldn’t get the same 3D depth and body. The Modular Channel was instantly putting me in a good place.

Quote:
Quote:

thx
Old 24th February 2018
Here for the gear

Folks!
The Modular Channel is indeed incredible when used as an effect in the crushing/mangling department - but in my mind where it really shines is 2bus work. I've had one strapped across my mix bus for the last few years, and not sure what I would do without it at this point. The ability to play around with the blend of the different sections at the end of the chain is the greatest. I can be done with a mix, and shoot off what feel like very different approaches just by adjusting the blend between dry/comp/harm. The eq also really seems to lend itself to mix sweetening too. Feels broad and pretty. Blend in a some compression, add harmonics to taste, a little bump of 100hz, little bump of 12k. DONE. It sounds like a record. I still marvel at the damn thing every time I patch it in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search