The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3 weeks ago
So I got my Modular Channel too and have had a few days to work with it. Obviously it's amazing - I'll post some thoughts about it when my current deadline is over! I've been a really happy Silver Bullet user so was curious to see how this matched up with it, or if it would replace it. I'm still deciding about that.

Quick question for the group though - I ordered the silver version but got sent the black by mistake. There seem to be loads of variations in colour for the silver - it looks greenish on the website, blueish on the SOS article and everything in between on other shots. Does anyone have a colour accurate pic of their silver 8755 they could post here please?

In return here's a gratuitous pic of the 8755 and Silver Bullet in action
Attached Thumbnails
Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel-overstayer-modular-channel.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The SOS picture is accurate IMO. I would take a pic for you but I recently downgraded to a nokia flip phone to try and get myself off the smartphones so the pic wouldnt really be too "accurate" haha.

Let me know how it ends up stacking vs the SB. I wanted both but honestly im thinking the Modular Channel is the one for me. I feel like the Low and High Band are very broad just like the SB eq for mixing. And MAS/Sat/Hex circuit covers the saturation. Then you get awesome HP/LP filters and a nice sweepable Eq mid band which I found I used on everything I put through the unit. Easy to find the sweet spot.

The compressor is the only part of the unit im not totally sold on right now. Im sure it will just take a bit more time with it. I have found uses for it but im really preferring just keeping the COMP out of the circuit and using my retro revolver as the compression. The only use of the comp circuit I do love atm is pushing the makeup gain into the sat section but thats for really over the top distortion. I know people LOVE the SVC which is around 2k in its own right and people rave about it so theres obviously SOMETHING im missing. I just find that it really flattens out transients when pushed which is obviously great for drums in parallel but its a little too much on everything else. Then again I never really have liked vca compression other than on drums. Maybe im just expecting too much. Anyway for my uses its completely complimentary because the Retro does the smooth compression that I think the SVC lacks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamoleisgreen View Post
The SOS picture is accurate IMO. I would take a pic for you but I recently downgraded to a nokia flip phone to try and get myself off the smartphones so the pic wouldnt really be too "accurate" haha.
lol, thanks for that!

Nick at KMR was kind enough to send a pic of their grey units, so for anyone else wondering like I was, there does seem to be quite a big difference between the actual colour and the pic on Sound On Sound.

I'm sticking with the black!
Attached Thumbnails
Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel-overstayer.jpg   Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel-image001.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kamel View Post
lol, thanks for that!

Nick at KMR was kind enough to send a pic of their grey units, so for anyone else wondering like I was, there does seem to be quite a big difference between the actual colour and the pic on Sound On Sound.

I'm sticking with the black!
Oh God my bad LOL. I didnt do double takes It looked close enough to me in my dimly lit room
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamoleisgreen View Post
Oh God my bad LOL. I didnt do double takes It looked close enough to me in my dimly lit room
No worries, I appreciated the reply!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I assume you're keeping it Tony? :¬)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I assume you're keeping it Tony? :¬)
Hehe, it's a tough decision, I've been trying to downsize as you know!

I've had a couple of weeks with it now so wanted to share some thoughts about it, particular in regard to the Silver Bullet.

First of all I discovered I have a very strong emotional attachment to the SB. I'm used to this with guitars and basses, but it's rare for outboard! I put that down to the great community that Brad and Dr Bill have fostered over at the epic Silver Bullet First Impressions thread, and also how good the piece is. But for the first few days I totally felt like I was cheating on it!

The 2 units do overlap hugely IMO, but the SB is definitely not a subset of the Modular Channel. They have their own character and strengths. I'll go by sections:

PRES: The SB has Neve and API-style pres, the MC's been described as more Helios-like. I love having 2 distinct flavours on the SB but the MC feels like a great hybrid of the two. I do like the thickness of the SB's N circuit, but could happily use the MC on everything, it's very classic and classy sounding. It also compares favourably with my Aurora Audio GTQC.

FILTERS/EQ: My fave analogue EQs in the past were the Thermionic Freebird and Hammer HM2, but I was very happy replacing those with the SB. The EQ on the SB is tuned just right, it never gets harsh or thin and the bass thickens out beautifully. The filters are simple but spot on. The MC's bass and treble doesn't appeal to my ear quite as much, I feel like it has less depth and you can easily go over the top with it. But that's part of the intention, the MC is designed to get extreme if you want it. The bottom line is I always found I was trying to match the SB's EQ rather than vice versa. For my music very small touches seem to work best on the MC - I've got the hang of it now but it was instantly right on the SB. Like Guacamole said earlier the Presence is super useful. I use little touches of that a lot and would love to see an equivalent on the SB!

SATURATION: The SB's system of cascading Mojo blocks is brilliantly designed and gives lots of rich tonal variation. But the MC takes saturation to a whole new planet, the number of different ways you can drive the unit is insane! It's one of the real pleasures of using it. The MAS circuit is its core sound for me, I always want that in. SAT I keep trying but don't find as useful. HEX is bonkers and did some very cool things to a vocal track I was working on! DI guitar sounds fantastic through it, I'll probably sell a bunch of pedals after this. Overdriving the compressor is cool too... Using the pre + MAS sections easily gets you into Silver Bullet territory and further if you want to.

COMPRESSOR: This is completely fascinating for me, I've never used a compressor like it! The Behaviour control is nuts. It's very easy to take a vanilla midi drum loop and make it sound completely epic. The blend controls are great and kind of essential given how weird the envelope gets when you crank up Behaviour. I love the flexibility of having a separate compressor feed or routing it into the Sat feed to drive it harder. Very versatile, you can mash up individual tracks but it's great on stems or mixes for filling things out. I will be tinkering with this forever...

OVERALL: There are 2 distinct design philosophies here, and they both succeed big time. Brad created the Silver Bullet as a way to get you into a rich analogue musical zone is quickly as possible with the minimum of tweaking. Jeff has created an incredible musical playground with endless possibilities for tweaking and bending sound. They both sound amazing. The SB has a solid and satisfying signature sound, and it's simplicity lets you just focus on the music. The MC almost feels like a collection of analogue plugins at times, there's so much to fiddle with and they interact so much with each other. It's way easier to go overboard and start getting away from the music and getting lost in tweaking. Exploration is rewarding though, and I think over time it will have quite a deep effect on the way I produce music. It really is like an instrument that you have to spend time mastering, and I like that!

TLDR: yeh, I'm keeping it
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kamel View Post
Hehe, it's a tough decision, I've been trying to downsize as you know!

I've had a couple of weeks with it now so wanted to share some thoughts about it, particular in regard to the Silver Bullet.

First of all I discovered I have a very strong emotional attachment to the SB. I'm used to this with guitars and basses, but it's rare for outboard! I put that down to the great community that Brad and Dr Bill have fostered over at the epic Silver Bullet First Impressions thread, and also how good the piece is. But for the first few days I totally felt like I was cheating on it!

The 2 units do overlap hugely IMO, but the SB is definitely not a subset of the Modular Channel. They have their own character and strengths. I'll go by sections:

PRES: The SB has Neve and API-style pres, the MC's been described as more Helios-like. I love having 2 distinct flavours on the SB but the MC feels like a great hybrid of the two. I do like the thickness of the SB's N circuit, but could happily use the MC on everything, it's very classic and classy sounding. It also compares favourably with my Aurora Audio GTQC.

FILTERS/EQ: My fave analogue EQs in the past were the Thermionic Freebird and Hammer HM2, but I was very happy replacing those with the SB. The EQ on the SB is tuned just right, it never gets harsh or thin and the bass thickens out beautifully. The filters are simple but spot on. The MC's bass and treble doesn't appeal to my ear quite as much, I feel like it has less depth and you can easily go over the top with it. But that's part of the intention, the MC is designed to get extreme if you want it. The bottom line is I always found I was trying to match the SB's EQ rather than vice versa. For my music very small touches seem to work best on the MC - I've got the hang of it now but it was instantly right on the SB. Like Guacamole said earlier the Presence is super useful. I use little touches of that a lot and would love to see an equivalent on the SB!

SATURATION: The SB's system of cascading Mojo blocks is brilliantly designed and gives lots of rich tonal variation. But the MC takes saturation to a whole new planet, the number of different ways you can drive the unit is insane! It's one of the real pleasures of using it. The MAS circuit is its core sound for me, I always want that in. SAT I keep trying but don't find as useful. HEX is bonkers and did some very cool things to a vocal track I was working on! DI guitar sounds fantastic through it, I'll probably sell a bunch of pedals after this. Overdriving the compressor is cool too... Using the pre + MAS sections easily gets you into Silver Bullet territory and further if you want to.

COMPRESSOR: This is completely fascinating for me, I've never used a compressor like it! The Behaviour control is nuts. It's very easy to take a vanilla midi drum loop and make it sound completely epic. The blend controls are great and kind of essential given how weird the envelope gets when you crank up Behaviour. I love the flexibility of having a separate compressor feed or routing it into the Sat feed to drive it harder. Very versatile, you can mash up individual tracks but it's great on stems or mixes for filling things out. I will be tinkering with this forever...

OVERALL: There are 2 distinct design philosophies here, and they both succeed big time. Brad created the Silver Bullet as a way to get you into a rich analogue musical zone is quickly as possible with the minimum of tweaking. Jeff has created an incredible musical playground with endless possibilities for tweaking and bending sound. They both sound amazing. The SB has a solid and satisfying signature sound, and it's simplicity lets you just focus on the music. The MC almost feels like a collection of analogue plugins at times, there's so much to fiddle with and they interact so much with each other. It's way easier to go overboard and start getting away from the music and getting lost in tweaking. Exploration is rewarding though, and I think over time it will have quite a deep effect on the way I produce music. It really is like an instrument that you have to spend time mastering, and I like that!

TLDR: yeh, I'm keeping it
Yea this is pretty much my thoughts but written in a cohesive and well thought out post LOL.

I find myself leaving the bass and treble at 0 or just SLIGHTY touching them like you said. The presence and filters are the stars of the eq section to me.

Like you MAS is always on for me. And yea the Compressor im starting to like. Instead of treating it like a compressor I treat it like an effect and now im starting to "get" it.

Im really starting to consider selling my BAE and getting the SB again but well see if I pull the trigger. I really like the BAE pres. And right now I chain them into the Modular and Retro revolver for my chain which is just amazing. But I do like the Overstayer pre's as well.... its just a mental thing I think LOL. Having Neve's makes me think my top end will never be "harsh".
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

are the knobs stepped on the MC?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Nope.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search